PDA

View Full Version : Nothing displays in 3.0.8


Jagoop
July 12, 2007, 17:18
I've just removed my old Angband 3.0.6, and installed 3.0.8 instead. Unfortunately I can't get the program to display anything! I've tried to search all HDDs as well as the registry for remaining bits, and reboot a bunch of time - nothing helps. My computer is a 64bit Core 2 Duo installed with Windows XP 64 bit edition. Could this be the source of all my trouble?

I've tried 3.0.8 on my laptop, where it works perfectly (but it runs plain ol' Win XP).

All suggestions are welcome!

takkaria
July 12, 2007, 17:37
I've just removed my old Angband 3.0.6, and installed 3.0.8 instead. Unfortunately I can't get the program to display anything! I've tried to search all HDDs as well as the registry for remaining bits, and reboot a bunch of time - nothing helps. My computer is a 64bit Core 2 Duo installed with Windows XP 64 bit edition. Could this be the source of all my trouble?

I think it probably is. I don't know of anyone else who tries to run Angband on a 64-bit Windows system.

Jagoop
July 12, 2007, 19:05
I think it probably is. I don't know of anyone else who tries to run Angband on a 64-bit Windows system.

But then my question becomes: What changed since version 3.0.6? And why did these changes break Angband in regard to my specific setup? :confused:

takkaria
July 12, 2007, 19:18
But then my question becomes: What changed since version 3.0.6? And why did these changes break Angband in regard to my specific setup? :confused:

Oh. I missed that bit... Nothing in the display code changed, but the game is compiled with a different compiler than I think the old Windows versions were. That might be the reason, but I really don't know...

The solution is twofold, really:
1. Get Angband working generally as a native 64-bit application
2. Use an SDL version

The first will really have to wait until I or someone else who's willing to test gets a 64-bit processor, but the second can be done with 3.0.8fix1.

Jagoop
July 12, 2007, 20:19
Thanks for the answer! If I can do anything to help locate the problem, please let me know.

What is an SDL version?

PS
What compiler was used for x-3.0.6 and which one for 3.0.8 ?

takkaria
July 12, 2007, 20:42
Thanks for the answer! If I can do anything to help locate the problem, please let me know.

What is an SDL version?

PS
What compiler was used for x-3.0.6 and which one for 3.0.8 ?

The SDL version is a cross-platform frontend for the game, e.g. another way to display the game. The library it uses is called SDL, hence it being the SDL version.

Er, I think MS Visual C++ was used for 3.0.6. I compile everything using MinGW and GCC.

arcum42
July 13, 2007, 07:53
Just as a note, all my test compiles for main-gtk.c are done in Linux on a 64-bit dual core processor, so any 64-bit issues would appear to be specific to Windows-64 bit edition.

David Stone
July 13, 2007, 08:41
I had a similar issue. I moved the file to a secondary storage hard drive with a shorter path, and rebooted and it worked.

Not sure if it's the path or the reboot, but it worked so I didn't really think about it.