PDA

View Full Version : Want a new feature...?

takkaria
April 25, 2007, 00:34
I track everything that gets posted on the forum and file bugs for everything I agree with. So, if you have a suggestion, start a new thread about the feature and you can be sure I'll read it and take it into consideration.

Jenks
March 6, 2008, 00:11
Hi, I'm playing 3.0.9 and enjoying the game. However I do miss the different 'feeling' about items that are now gone. There was nothing more exciting than getting an item you thought was 'special'. Now everything's just 'good' and part of the excitement's gone. Will this return?

Psi
March 6, 2008, 08:33
Hi, I'm playing 3.0.9 and enjoying the game. However I do miss the different 'feeling' about items that are now gone. There was nothing more exciting than getting an item you thought was 'special'. Now everything's just 'good' and part of the excitement's gone. Will this return?
Are you sure you are not just playing a class that doesn't have heavy pseudo-id?

Completely off-topic, but where in Leicester are you from? I was back in my home town of Oadby at the weekend.

Jenks
March 7, 2008, 10:42
I'm a Dunadan Ranger level 35 (Explorer). Most of the time I'm getting so much stuff I just ID it straight away with spell, but up to about DL25 everything was just 'good' or 'cursed', no 'excellent', 'special' or even 'terrible'.

I'm off the Narborough Road, LE3 btw.

Faust
March 7, 2008, 10:57
Rangers get weak psuedo-ID so only get {good} or {cursed} instead of the warrior style strong psuedo-ID.

Rizwan
March 7, 2008, 15:11
When wielding rings can we have it so that it asks us which hand we want to wield it on? Its a real pain when inventory is full and we have have to take off the ring ... the pack overflows ... wield the other ring .... pick up the first ring instead of just swapping the rings.

Anne
March 17, 2008, 04:28
I'd like to request the ability to 'look' at objects from another grid. As it stands, we have to move onto the object in order to find out what it is, even things our character dropped there a few turns ago which, realistically speaking, they would obviously recognize from across the room or down the hall. In real life, you can tell a bottle of olive oil from a bottle of canola oil by the shape. On the game, similar items are often only differentiated by a slight difference in color, which makes things much more difficult to tell apart visually.

Djabanete
March 17, 2008, 06:01
We have that ability, it is the regular 'l'ook command (e'x'amine for those of us who like the roguelike keyset). Press 'l' and then the directional keys to examine things at a distance.

Someone please correct me if I misunderstood Anne's question or if this has been changed since 3.0.6...

Bandobras
March 17, 2008, 14:09
I guess Anne meant "Inspect" (show details about the object), e.g. by pressing 'r' when looking at a distant object. I might have been possible in old V, at least for objects not in a stack. Anne, please correct me if I'm wrong.

zaimoni
March 17, 2008, 14:32
I guess Anne meant "Inspect" (show details about the object), e.g. by pressing 'r' when looking at a distant object. I might have been possible in old V, at least for objects not in a stack. Anne, please correct me if I'm wrong.'r' when looking in V3.0.6 exists only when looking at a stack; it toggles a list view of the stack.

Anne
March 17, 2008, 15:24
I guess Anne meant "Inspect" (show details about the object), e.g. by pressing 'r' when looking at a distant object. I might have been possible in old V, at least for objects not in a stack. Anne, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, that's what I should have said. Sorry for not being clear - too many distractions when I was writing that post. The thing is that if I know something about an object in my hands, then I know the same about it if I see it across the room. Maybe this is more helpful to people still relatively new to the game or those who haven't played for awhile - a veteran player would probably have memorized what a Potion of Whatsis is good for, but a new person encounters a lot of new objects in a short period of time and can't remember details about everything they've examined. Being able to 'recall' info about an item is much easier than having to write everything down in a text file if we want to remember which thing does what, or having to walk over and pick it up to see those details.

will_asher
March 18, 2008, 00:09
You can recall object knowledge in the knowledge menu when you press "|"

Pete Mack
March 18, 2008, 00:17
What anne wants (and I've had the same idea) is to be able to look at an already ID'ed pile and see whether the particular Armor of Elvenkind (+2) provides RConf rather than RFear. I've never really had a strong opinion about the lack, but I have occasionally noticed it.

But yes, using ? or | (depending on which keyset) will bring up a useful overview of the type.

Anne
March 18, 2008, 05:38
Thank you, Pete, I'm not very good at explaining my thoughts with this sort of thing.

And you're right, there's the knowledge screen for basic information about an object type. But even so, I suppose I'm probably spoiled by Un, because you can just 'look' at an object and then 'recall' brings up the details - 2 keystrokes, no muss, no fuss (although it doesn't work for objects in piles, which would be helpful). Having to get it by way of the knowledge screen requires 2 keystrokes to get into the appropriate knowledge section, then scroll down the list to find the object category, then scroll down the individual objects to find the item, and then another keystroke to see the details about it. I don't mean to sound critical - the knowledge sections are very well done - I just like the convenience of two clicks.

rdermyer
April 30, 2008, 06:33
I think it would be cool if the *slays* would let you detect whatever it aided in slaying. Kind of like Elvish swords glowing when orcs are about. Then your *Slay* Dragon would let you detect dragons. I think it would add a little flavor and fit in with the world also, as well make them all a little better, too.

wastedyouth
May 7, 2008, 21:37
Dual wielding...

I still miss the primary and secondary weapon slots that exchange with X... I don't like getting bonuses from both the bow and weapon simultaneously...

Poop Loops
May 14, 2008, 05:11
Dual weilding would be awesome, but I think we'd need a whole new class just for that, to nerf its defense to compensate for the attack.

Big Al
May 14, 2008, 05:23
I don't think that anything would have to be nerfed too badly, depending how it was implemented; if eg. you got one attack with your main weapon, then one attack with your offhand, it would be about the same as getting two attacks with your main. If you could only use the offhand weapon in your shield slot, any equipment bonuses from the offhand weapon would be offset by not getting any bonuses from your shield. I know some variants have introduced offhand weapons, but I've never really played around with them much.

Poop Loops
May 14, 2008, 05:58
I was thinking you'd get your weapon instead of your shield, but get extra attacks (maybe 50% more?) or something. The whole point of the extra weapon would be to become the world's greatest killing machine.

Taking CON down by a point or two as a class penalty wouldn't be too bad. I mean, Rangers traditionally have dual-wield, but they already have the ranged side of the game covered, so I don't know about having an extra feature just for them.

It could either be something like a brute force barbarian, or a cunning assassin type (with two light weapons only, but a STR penalty). It would be either a special case of a Warrior or Rogue in that case, which I don't like too much, either, because that's not different enough.

I don't think anybody would be for modifying the Warrior or Rogue that way, either. That seems too fundamental of a change for V.

JamesDoyle
June 1, 2008, 22:03
Working on artifacts for the User Manual, I noted the following errors in the artifacts.txt file:

Necklace of the Dwarves: carencet > carcenet
Ring of Barahir: twinned >? twined
Power Dragon Scale Mail 'Bladeturner' untramelled > untrammelled
Bastard Sword Calris: incused >? incised (incused is a real word, but not sure this is what was meant)
Bastard Sword Calris: hint > hilt
Broad Sword 'Aeglin' coved > covered
Spear Nimloth: silvan >? sylvan; although the elves are Silvan, a shaft should probably be sylvan
Lochaber Axe Mundwine: filleted >? filigree
Trident of Ulmo mightest > mightiest

Irashtar
July 2, 2008, 17:19
More squelching features, I want to be able to squelch by quality on a slot by slot basis when it comes to armour, like in FAangband.
Also, being able to squelch specific ego flavours would be nice.
seconding the slay foo giving detect foo, I think TOME did this before...

Narvius
July 2, 2008, 19:03
The whole "Automizer" thing ToME has could be stolen for V. It's awesome.
I don't like partial ESP (what does ESP mean, anyways?), it's okay for ToME, but V should keep it simple.

Zikke
July 2, 2008, 19:12
Extra sensory perception? a.k.a. telepathy in some variants

Jude
July 31, 2008, 23:46
Non-activateable telepathy drives me nuts; you can never rest because there's always some monster within range moving to disturb you.

Psi
August 1, 2008, 13:04
Non-activateable telepathy drives me nuts; you can never rest because there's always some monster within range moving to disturb you.
Change your disturb options then... :)

Pete Mack
August 1, 2008, 15:59
Oh, the iPod Touch has such a fine high-res (480x320, 1/2 VGA) little screen... Now I want to play angband on it...

Lebannen
August 1, 2008, 18:48
Yes, I was pondering the iPod Touch/iPhone stuff - to the best of my knowledge, the iPhone SDK does expose most of Carbon, ATSUI, etc - so we may be able to lift a lot of code from the Carbon port. The interface would have to be rather different than the DS version - I would imagine no virtual keyboard support because there's not enough space, but using a variation of the mouse-based interface:
- Use of the Buttons along the bottom of the screen
- Support tap-to-target
- Don't support tap-to-move in the conventional sense (not enough accuracy) - instead, split the screen into virtual quadrants, so tap to move/attack in that direction (double-tap to run).
- Use keep-player-centered mode by default - with the small screen and the decently fast processor, this shouldn't be a problem.

I suspect it would still be unplayable, but it'd be an interesting exercise :D

chem
September 26, 2008, 23:45
We really, really need a Cocoa port of Angband.
http://ridiculousfish.com/angband/

If someone can make that port functional in the current vanilla CVS, I will help maintain it.

Pete Mack
October 6, 2008, 01:05
I'd like to be able to make a screen-dump (snapshot) of any screen, not just the current map. In particular, I'd like to be able to dump messages, inventory, etc, either in a separate window or that are displayed on top of the map.

(This was inspired by finding both Wrath of God and Kelek's in consecutive rooms on dl99 ...as an NPP brigand.)

andrewdoull
October 7, 2008, 10:21
I'd like to be able to make a screen-dump (snapshot) of any screen, not just the current map. In particular, I'd like to be able to dump messages, inventory, etc, either in a separate window or that are displayed on top of the map.

(This was inspired by finding both Wrath of God and Kelek's in consecutive rooms on dl99 ...as an NPP brigand.)

IIRC, I did this in UnAngband by supporting ^] to mean dump the screen at any point waiting for input. It couldn't do the cave tile remapping that the standard dump did though.

Andrew

bio_hazard
December 11, 2008, 20:04
Oh, the iPod Touch has such a fine high-res (480x320, 1/2 VGA) little screen... Now I want to play angband on it...

newbie here- I played Angband back in the mid 90's for a while, and more recently I periodically pick up ToME 2.3.X. I'm a refugee from the ToME site now that it is more or less closing, so figured I'd register here.

Anyway- just browsing through and saw your post. You all probably know about this already, but.

**Someone already ported Rogue**,

and it works pretty well with the touch screen. Holding horizontally shows you the whole map in ASCII, and holding vertically gives you a zoomed in view either ascii or with a tileset (can choose the size you want in settings).

Tap once to walk one space, tap twice to run in one of the 8 directions. Tap twice on the character (always centered) to pull up an inventory. There's a scroll-down list of commands, and they all have some swipe equivalent (for example, tracing a capital W on the screen activates the Wield Weapon command, and pulls up a scroll down list of the weapons in your inventory.

I've definitely killed some time waiting for my train playing this, but would love to see Angband or a variant (at least something with upstairs and a town with shops!)

Zikke
December 13, 2008, 00:25
It has been mentioned in other threads, but just wanted to post it here.

It would be nice if the player always got the first turn when going up or down stairs. No matter how good you are or how uber your gear is, the RNG can instantly kill you at any time and that's disconcerting. :(

You go down the stairs.
You have a superb feeling about this level.
Cantoras the Skeletal Lord hurls a nether lance.
You die.
Cantoras the Skeletal Lord picks up his Betraying Sign of Superb Feelings.

Edwin
December 29, 2008, 06:38
The idea is that the Cloak of Kermit and the Gloves of Kermit, while each valuable in their own right, are extra powerful if you are wearing both of them. This would provide an extra wrinkle in item selection - do I keep the gloves in my house hoping I will eventually find the cloak too, or throw them out in favor of some other item which is individually better?

(This game mechanic is at its best in Mah-Jongg, where you're constantly calculating "if I can get one more North Wind, then I get an extra double, but maybe I should try to get 1-9 of bamboo instead...")

pav
December 29, 2008, 17:07
ToME have it, I think. Also Diablo 2 have it :)

Seany C
December 29, 2008, 17:16
>>The idea is that the Cloak of Kermit and the Gloves of Kermit, while each valuable in their own right, are extra powerful if you are wearing both of them. This would provide an extra wrinkle in item selection - do I keep the gloves in my house hoping I will eventually find the cloak too, or throw them out in favor of some other item which is individually better? >>

FAA also has this, linked thematically (e.g three artifacts - shield, helm and plate mail - make up the armour left for Tuor by Ulmo).

Anyway, should that be the Croak of Kermit?
*gets coat*

Jungle_Boy
December 29, 2008, 18:20
ToME have it, I think. Also Diablo 2 have it :)

Next we just need sockets and runewords.

Narvius
December 29, 2008, 19:03
And boring, artificial and generic wilderness.

Seany C
December 30, 2008, 10:09
This compy is probably the first time I've played V since 1999 or so - it's good to be back but one or two lil' additions would be nice.

The one feature that would really make life more convenient is a display (via 'I') of average damage done by a weapon or ammo, once its slays, brands, effects of other melee-affecting equipment, etc, have been included in the calculation - just like FAA and ToME. (and, I think, O). It's particularly helpful for ammo where the manual calculation of which type of ammo does most damage against X can take a while...

The minor ones are that, purely for flavour, character notes (a la FAA/O) and equipment notes (i.e. where did @ get that weapon or ring from?) would be nice too... :)

Nick
December 30, 2008, 11:33
The one feature that would really make life more convenient is a display (via 'I') of average damage done by a weapon or ammo, once its slays, brands, effects of other melee-affecting equipment, etc, have been included in the calculation - just like FAA and ToME. (and, I think, O). It's particularly helpful for ammo where the manual calculation of which type of ammo does most damage against X can take a while...

The minor ones are that, purely for flavour, character notes (a la FAA/O) and equipment notes (i.e. where did @ get that weapon or ring from?) would be nice too... :)

IIRC those are all going to be in 3.1.0; this (http://dev.rephial.org/trac/browser/trunk/changes.txt) has more details.

Seany C
December 30, 2008, 12:29
Hurrah. :)

I need to post my current Lucky up, although he's about CL25 and almost 300k turns already. I've got spoilt by FAA's connected & double-able stairs...

Psi
December 30, 2008, 13:16
I've got spoilt by FAA's connected & double-able stairs...
Not for much longer... ;)

Jungle_Boy
December 30, 2008, 13:44
Something that would be nice to see in V is the ability to press a key to target the nearest monster like in Z+ and I think O.

buzzkill
December 30, 2008, 15:53
Something that would be nice to see in V is the ability to press a key to target the nearest monster like in Z+ and I think O.

It would be nice if the maintainers could come to an agreement on a common key stroke for this too. Z+ uses 'c' and FA uses '.', not sure about others. I often habitually type the wrong key, causing unpredictable results.

takkaria
December 30, 2008, 16:42
I track everything that gets posted on the forum and file bugs for everything I agree with. So, if you have a suggestion, start a new thread about the feature and you can be sure I'll read it and take it into consideration.

Pav, can we unsticky this thread? I'm not sure it's doing much good, since no-one reads the beginning text and it's easier for me to track features requests if people just start new threads...

pav
December 30, 2008, 17:16
Pav, can we unsticky this thread? I'm not sure it's doing much good, since no-one reads the beginning text and it's easier for me to track features requests if people just start new threads...
Done. And yeah, you are right. People generally don't read.

Daniel Fishman
December 30, 2008, 18:27
Possibly, even, make a new thread with the same first post, and then sticky *and lock* it, to get the desired effect of the original thread without the problems it caused.

takkaria
December 30, 2008, 19:17
Possibly, even, make a new thread with the same first post, and then sticky *and lock* it, to get the desired effect of the original thread without the problems it caused.

If people want to request a feature, I'm sure they'll do it anyway...

Slick
January 5, 2009, 21:47
Not sure if this thread is still used, but I'd like to request a couple of things be considered for including in V:

1) Wand of Wall Building - like the one in Moria. Quite useful when combined with digging and/or stone-to-mud.

2) Ring of Extra Attacks - should be very rare and possibly not wieldable by certain classes.

Elsairon
January 8, 2009, 03:12
Not sure if this thread is still used, but I'd like to request a couple of things be considered for including in V:

1) Wand of Wall Building - like the one in Moria. Quite useful when combined with digging and/or stone-to-mud.

2) Ring of Extra Attacks - should be very rare and possibly not weldable by certain classes.

There is a spell that creates doors around the caster, similar to 1). Getting stuck behind a wall without a digger might be trouble for some, although earthquakes are common enough that I usually consider digging anyway.

There are already weapons that grant extra attacks and with rings granting brands for melee attacks. I could see this as an option for artifact rings, but the game is very balanced by numbers of attacks, and adding such an option might skew it to a no-brainer, making interesting choices obsolete.

Slick
January 8, 2009, 21:46
Wands of Wall Building work differently than "create doors". Try Moria if you want to see it. Too many monsters can open/destroy doors. I'd like to see this in Angband.

Some variants have rings of extra attacks and are balanced. I'd like to see this in Angband.

takkaria
January 8, 2009, 21:50

Pav, can we lock this thread so people stop posting to it? :)