PDA

View Full Version : It came from Japan (graphical roguelike)

PaulBlay
February 6, 2009, 15:01
Here's an interesting roguelike I came across.

http://pokegame.cool.ne.jp/free/rpgrogue_odekake/odekake.html

Main features
- All monsters (and PC) are cute girls.:confused:
- Items are identified by throwing them at monsters.
- Only identified item types can be purchased from the shop.
- Joystick or Keyboard operation ([F4] to set keys).
- Food / starvation system.
- In Japanese :D

buzzkill
February 7, 2009, 01:55
I don't think theres much hope unless you know the language.
Here's a bablefish translated (http://66.196.80.202/babelfish/translate_url_content?.intl=us&lp=ja_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fpokegame.cool.ne.jp%2ffree%2frp grogue_odekake%2fdata.html) web-page with a list of items in the game. Looks interesting, but hopeless.

PaulBlay
February 7, 2009, 07:16
I don't think theres much hope unless you know the language.
I can. Actually it's a pretty simple game - you could probably just about play it without being able to read the text - given a few hints and a bit of practice.

Competition 65 anyone? :D

Larvitz
February 7, 2009, 17:57
Lol, that looks pretty cool, but like... I can't read it, and reading is a key element in roguelikes.... Looks fun though. Maybe someone could take on the challenge of translating the game's text? Or is it not open source? I wouldn't know. Site's in Japanese. :p

Variaz
February 7, 2009, 20:21
I just tried it out, gameplay reminds me a bit of the DS game Izuna. It's fun, but I still like the bands better.

It's a bit weird to beat up only catgirls and maids, I mean, they're cute, why would I want to beat them up?? :confused: But perhaps the most annoying aspect of the game is the diagonal movement. It doesn't seem like you can use the numeric keypad to move diagonally, which is a problem because sometimes enemies attacks you diagonally, and gets free hits while you're trying to position yourself.

I know some japanese, so I didn't have much trouble getting around the menus, but it would be pretty difficult to play for one who doesn't know the language. This is definitely a game for otaku!

PaulBlay
February 7, 2009, 20:38
It's a bit weird to beat up only catgirls and maids, I mean, they're cute, why would I want to beat them up?? :confused:

If you read the backstory it's the futuristic dungeon equivalent of Disneyland. (No catgirls are harmed - they're all actors or holograms or something :D )

But perhaps the most annoying aspect of the game is the diagonal movement. It doesn't seem like you can use the numeric keypad to move diagonally, which is a problem because sometimes enemies attacks you diagonally, and gets free hits while you're trying to position yourself.
You can set the diagonal keys to work. Hit [F4] at the start and you get the keyboard configuration screen. Or as it says in the opening screen

F4キーでキーコンフィグができるよ。

The writer's email is in the distribution, so I considered volunteering to translate it but it hasn't been updated since 2005 and his homepage has been shut down so I presume he's not likely to be interested.