PDA

View Full Version : Terrain changes visible outside characters sight -- Feature or Bug??

Elsairon
April 26, 2007, 19:21
Something I noticed today which IMO would be nice to clean up.

I had explored part of a map. An Umber hulk started walking towards me. I could observe its progress toward me as walls became floors in an areas that were not within my characters direct sight.

I would like to see terrain changes when the character sees them rather then when they happen outside los.

I know doors opening/breaking have the same issue, but I hadn't given it much thought until now.

Thoughts?

andrewdoull
April 26, 2007, 20:31
Something I noticed today which IMO would be nice to clean up.

I had explored part of a map. An Umber hulk started walking towards me. I could observe its progress toward me as walls became floors in an areas that were not within my characters direct sight.

I would like to see terrain changes when the character sees them rather then when they happen outside los.

I know doors opening/breaking have the same issue, but I hadn't given it much thought until now.

Thoughts?

Unfortunately, this requires a large rearchitecture of the way terrain works.

Its been done in Zangband, but its not a straightforward piece of code.
Unfo

Elsairon
April 26, 2007, 21:31
Unfortunately, this requires a large rearchitecture of the way terrain works.

Its been done in Zangband, but its not a straightforward piece of code.
Unfo

This would be something to look at improving in the future then. Perhaps someone will come up with a more elegant solution.

takkaria
June 12, 2007, 14:04
This would be something to look at improving in the future then. Perhaps someone will come up with a more elegant solution.

Oh, the Zangband method is elegant enough, just hard to understand (so I believe). This is a pet peeve of mine, too, though, so I imagine it'll be sorted in V at some point while I'm the maintainer.