PDA

View Full Version : Competition 87

Nick
May 8, 2010, 08:02
Competition 87 is now available from the competition page (http://angband.oook.cz/competition.php?showcompo=87); it is a dungeon-only FAangband 1.1 Beorning Warrior.

Note that competition 86 only has a few hours to run.

buzzkill
May 10, 2010, 04:43
Shouldn't dis-connected stairs be turned on?

Nick
May 10, 2010, 05:48
There is no disconnected stairs option in FA. Until later in the dungeon :)

Nick
May 10, 2010, 06:13
Just worth mentioning too - this character has decent (but not quite complete, I think) monster memory, and also a fair ego-item memory. ID-by-use in FA requires an ego type to have been (spell) ID'd by the character or an ancestor before it can be recognised by use.

Matthias
May 10, 2010, 11:59
Re: Sensing: {Dubios} is always negative plusses nothing else right?

edit: Also there seems to be a problem with the ladder. The first three share place 0 :)

Nick
May 10, 2010, 12:21
Re: Sensing: {Dubios} is always negative plusses nothing else right?

Yes. For strong pseudo-ID (including warriors) dubious means minuses, good means pluses, perilous means ego with some drawback, excellent means ego with no drawback, special means artifact.

edit: Also there seems to be a problem with the ladder. The first three share place 0 :)

Fixed now.

Matthias
May 10, 2010, 13:23
Hmm a ring gives me prevent teleport and random teleport but doesn't prevent the random teleport?

edit: Oh more questions: I read that *charisma* is used to increase stats to higher than 18. What happens if I drink one before that?

thapper
May 10, 2010, 13:45
Oh more questions: I read that *charisma* is used to increase stats to higher than 18. What happens if I drink one before that?

Before you reach 18 for a stat the *stat* potion will work as a normal stat potion, sometimes it gives +2 though (at least the *charisma*), but I'm not sure how frequent that is.

Nick
May 10, 2010, 13:45
Hmm a ring gives me prevent teleport and random teleport but doesn't prevent the random teleport?

:D

edit: Oh more questions: I read that *charisma* is used to increase stats to higher than 18. What happens if I drink one before that?

It just acts like an ordinary !Charisma.

Nick
May 11, 2010, 01:11
Another thing that's worth mentioning is that at the bottom of most of the dungeons (Amon Rudh, Nargothrond, Nan Dungortheb, Tol-In-Gaurhoth) is a guardian (you will get a message when you arrive on that level). Fighting the guradian is optional, but if you go 'down' from that level, there will be no way back up (apart from leaving your recall point there, or walking down the stairs again).

buzzkill
May 11, 2010, 03:53
There is no disconnected stairs option in FA. Until later in the dungeon :)

Well, there is a "Generate dungeon with connected stairs" option (dungeon_stair) which could be set to "no".

Nick
May 11, 2010, 07:00
Well, there is a "Generate dungeon with connected stairs" option (dungeon_stair) which could be set to "no".

Yes, you're right - I don't know what I was thinking. Given that it's a changeable option, though, it's up to personal choice...

murphy
May 11, 2010, 18:36
1. I was trying to set a trap on an (apparently) empty square and kept getting prompted if I wanted to destroy objects in order to a trap. I was confused by the messages. But in hindsight, maybe there was a squelched object on that square and I just couldn't see it, would that explain it?

2. In stores the help text at the bottom says "l) Look at item" but (with roguelike keys) the key is "x" not "l"

Murphy S

Nick
May 11, 2010, 21:54
1. I was trying to set a trap on an (apparently) empty square and kept getting prompted if I wanted to destroy objects in order to a trap. I was confused by the messages. But in hindsight, maybe there was a squelched object on that square and I just couldn't see it, would that explain it?

Yes, exactly.

2. In stores the help text at the bottom says "l) Look at item" but (with roguelike keys) the key is "x" not "l"

OK, thanks.

buzzkill
May 12, 2010, 03:34

Would you consider suppressing this message? I couldn't imagine someone getting bent out of shape over accidentally destroying squelched items.

Also, I don't don't need to be told when a squelched item rolls beneath my feet.

Nick
May 12, 2010, 03:45
Would you consider suppressing this message? I couldn't imagine someone getting bent out of shape over accidentally destroying squelched items.

Also, I don't don't need to be told when a squelched item rolls beneath my feet.

You can also set traps on squares with visible items, and you get the destruction message then too.

I guess it would make sense, though, to suppress both messages for squelched items.

thapper
May 14, 2010, 10:17
Just out of curiosity, what is it that gives points for the score that's used for the competition?

Nick
May 14, 2010, 11:05
Just out of curiosity, what is it that gives points for the score that's used for the competition?

It's the total of the experience you get for the first kill of each different monster.

Nero
May 16, 2010, 01:26
I put this into the save games folder but its not working, is my character supposed to be invisible?

Nick
May 16, 2010, 08:50
I put this into the save games folder but its not working, is my character supposed to be invisible?

What isn't working?

buzzkill
May 16, 2010, 15:08
What isn't working?

He's playing with 32x32 tiles, and for some reason the screen isn't centering on the player when in town, and thus the player is off the right side of the screen. He needs to switch to ASCII when in town than he can go back to tiles once in the dungeon. My remedy has been to skip the shopping and just press >. I wouldn't recommend it.

Nero
May 16, 2010, 20:45
Thanks buzz!

Nick
May 16, 2010, 21:52
He's playing with 32x32 tiles, and for some reason the screen isn't centering on the player when in town, and thus the player is off the right side of the screen. He needs to switch to ASCII when in town than he can go back to tiles once in the dungeon. My remedy has been to skip the shopping and just press >. I wouldn't recommend it.

Oh, right, that. Aim is to have the bugfix out today...

buzzkill
May 16, 2010, 22:27
Just found Boots of Speed (+9) on DL12... certainly I'm doomed.

EDIT... and now the Sling of Daurin on DL14.

EDIT... and dead on DL17 after a series of unfortunate phases. The room I encountered Baldor in was small, but he immediately slowed me, so I decided to flee, but my next three phases failed to get me out of the room. All the while Baldor summoned and I got hit. When I did manage to phase away, I landed badly beaten in a nearby darkened room, no visible exits, with something unseen firing poison at me. HP's were getting low when suddenly a guardian naga and a forest wright show up next to me. I had to phase again, successfully this time, or so I thought, until a marksman ant spit acid on me.

It turned out I was also wearing a ring of combat (+20), un-ID'd.

Nick
May 17, 2010, 12:04
Bugfix (v1.1.5) is up - updating is recommended.

@buzzkill - OUCH

Jungle_Boy
May 18, 2010, 17:39
Bugfix (v1.1.5) is up - updating is recommended.

@buzzkill - OUCH

My character is still offscreen when I load the save file with 1.15. I am using my original .ini file though so that may be why.

Nick
May 19, 2010, 01:14
My character is still offscreen when I load the save file with 1.15. I am using my original .ini file though so that may be why.

I'll test this in windows - so far I've only tested in the Linux SDL port, which should be the same.

buzzkill
May 19, 2010, 04:37
I'll test this in windows - so far I've only tested in the Linux SDL port, which should be the same.

I've discovered the following, which is an improvement over 1.14. If you play windowed, it centers on the player OK. If you make the window too big (nearly full screen), or maximize it, the focus shifts back to the upper left corner (using 1200x800 resolution on a 15" laptop screen).

Also... lurkers are easily seen (within LOS) when playing with tiles. I believe changing their .prf hex value to 0x00:0x00 will render them completely non-visible/visually non-existent (as they should be???).

Also... does bear form "stack" with the martial arts specialty to create some sort of horrific kung fu-grizzly (or panda if you prefer).

Nick
May 19, 2010, 04:54
Also... lurkers are easily seen (within LOS) when playing with tiles. I believe changing their .prf hex value to 0x00:0x00 will render them completely non-visible/visually non-existent (as they should be???).

Yes, that is a good idea.

Also... does bear form "stack" with the martial arts specialty to create some sort of horrific kung fu-grizzly (or panda if you prefer).

Yes (http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=6409) :)

Jungle_Boy
May 19, 2010, 13:43
Bears may not be able to wield or take off equipment while shapeshifted but they can sell it off their body. Either they unshift only while at the store screen or the store manager REALLY wants his goods and can pry it off an angry bear.

*edit, stupid spelling

Nick
June 13, 2010, 00:54
Competition 87 has been finished for a while now. Congratulations to LostTemplar for a spectacularly fast win - with Martial Arts, no less.