PDA

View Full Version : [Un] Unangband 0.6.2-wip7c has been released

andrewdoull
November 19, 2007, 06:41
This release fixes some significant game-play logic bugs for the competition, as well as an overhaul of the wilderness map. I particular want to thank Mikolaj Konarski again for his beautiful ASCII art map, adapted from FAAngband's wilderness map designed by Nick McConnell. Mikolaj also reported the majority of bugs in this release, as well as fixing about half of them.

The source code is available at http://prdownload.berlios.de/unangband/unangband-062-wip7c-src.zip

A precompiled OS/X binary is available at http://prdownload.berlios.de/unangband/unangband-0.6.2-wip7c-osx.dmg

### Gameplay ###

- Scale dragon armour breath based on player current hit points.

- Overhaul dungeon connections and progression, and included a map of northern Middle Earth to add in early
game progress, accessible via the help menu (Thanks to Mikolaj Konarski for putting a huge amount
of work into this).

- Add guardian for early Isengard.

- Added an Ent Moot.

- Made a low-level Caradhras location (the Redhorn) that provides access to Mirkwood once the surface guardian is defeated.

- Made the siege of Hornburg inescapable.

- Add a few monsters from ToME - some with modifications.

- Made potions of stats even more common.

- Made bard class slightly more powerful.

- Allow Chill to be used on any enemy in line of sight.

- Your allies will not breath or cast ball spells if it will hit you.

- Allies drop the objects they are carrying when they leave your service.

### User Interface ###

- Stop using alternate wall graphics as this causes problems on Windows XP.

- Fix for problems with windows XP glyphs not displayed experienced by some people. Choose a font ending with an 'x' to resolve this (A better fix will be included in 0.6.3).

- Don't require second menu selection when buying a service in order to use the power.

### Bug fixes ###

- Fixes fo Bug #12467 Various problems with Druid spells.

- Fix for Bug #12339 Exhaustion cured by running.

- Fix for bug Bug #10492 Cloak of the Bat with preposterous to-hit.

- Fix bug with stairs getting generated under player after word of recall etc.

- Fix bug where some monsters with a single friend would be determined as being massively deeper than they should have been.

- Fix up 'Snuff life' description.

- Freeze and Flame Strike were not intended to have a radius.

- Fix bugs with petrify that allowed monsters to move while affected.

- Fixed #12222 (Sense Magic removes inscription).

- Fix for Bug #12390 "You failed to arm" but the trap works.

- Lit fireplaces don't empty when searched.

- Ensure player only searches lit grids.

- Fix for Bug #12452 All vaults of Erebor contain the same things.

- Fixed #12400 --- Black Rider at Bree does not appear in Bree

- Fix for Bug #12396 Druid specialized in druidry can learn Chill.

- Throwing is now always obvious in shops, just like it was everywhere else.

- Fix problems with acid bolt II etc. causing remaining bolts to hit the player if target is killed.

- Fix for Bug #12334 Can't kill Farmer Maggot with wand of Acid Bolts II.

### Build / Platform ###

- Add missing .xib file to source build.

- Fix various compiler warnings.

Bandobras
November 19, 2007, 14:14
Congratulations on the release. BTW, the announcement on ook says "This is a bug fix release incorporating a new Bandobras." :D Wow, new me!

andrewdoull
November 19, 2007, 16:48
Congratulations on the release. BTW, the announcement on ook says "This is a bug fix release incorporating a new Bandobras." :D Wow, new me!

Oops. Looks like I missed a " when writing the news announcement. If you mouse over Bandobras, you'll see the HREF breakage in your browser status bar.

Pav, any chance of a fix?

Daven_26d1
November 19, 2007, 17:23
Oops. Looks like I missed a " when writing the news announcement. If you mouse over Bandobras, you'll see the HREF breakage in your browser status bar.

Pav, any chance of a fix?

Damn, I'd just hopped on this thread to make a joke about the Bandobras 1.01 bugfix release... not all that surprising that Bandobras spotted it before me.

Bandobras
November 19, 2007, 17:29
Anyway, if anybody asks why Un AI is so good --- it's because it has me incorporated into the game and I pull the strings of the supposedly AI-controlled monsters. :)

Daven_26d1
November 20, 2007, 00:52
Anyway, if anybody asks why Un AI is so good --- it's because it has me incorporated into the game and I pull the strings of the supposedly AI-controlled monsters. :)

B%$^"D! You bin a-killin' me fairies!

Nick
November 20, 2007, 05:26
Windows port available now.

Daven_26d1
November 20, 2007, 05:40
Okay, I had one crack at the Druid comp (nailed by fecking mayflies after killing the trolls!!), and I spotted a couple of things I hadn't noticed before, may or not be unique to the new version.

Recalling info about uniques from the '~' menu (and presumably when pressing 'r' when looking about) gets me ugly strings like:
He is dangerous at his native depth. ; about 1 time in 5.
Surely thats not intentional? Missing or broken test before appending the end of the string, I guess. It sure makes a lot more sense if you've seen the unique cast something...

Also in the '~' menu, but in dungeon knowledge (which I just looked at for the first time) The competition druid is listed as having been to lvl 20 of Fangorn and that it was guarded by Radagast the Brown. Is this a bug or something integral to the character/game plot I don't get?

Lastly I would like some information about dual-wielding. Are there actually any penalties beyond loosing your shield slot? AFAICS you basically get a free attack with you second weapon as long as the first one hits; the stats given in 'C' suggest that you attack as usual with each weapon, with no additional to hit penalty. There doesn't seem to be a timing penalty either. I've basically been clubbing weaker monsters with a pair of staves, and I'd like to know if its a good idea to continue with this setup on my next attempt. After all, how cool is the image of a dwarven druid beating on rats with 2x sputtering and crackling magic staff? Okay it is a bit Games Workshop...

andrewdoull
November 20, 2007, 06:28
Windows port available now.

Thanks heaps again.

andrewdoull
November 20, 2007, 06:32
Okay, I had one crack at the Druid comp (nailed by fecking mayflies after killing the trolls!!), and I spotted a couple of things I hadn't noticed before, may or not be unique to the new version.

Recalling info about uniques from the '~' menu (and presumably when pressing 'r' when looking about) gets me ugly strings like:

Surely thats not intentional? Missing or broken test before appending the end of the string, I guess. It sure makes a lot more sense if you've seen the unique cast something...

Yep. Needs tidying up.

Also in the '~' menu, but in dungeon knowledge (which I just looked at for the first time) The competition druid is listed as having been to lvl 20 of Fangorn and that it was guarded by Radagast the Brown. Is this a bug or something integral to the character/game plot I don't get?

Bug - its been filed already.

Lastly I would like some information about dual-wielding. Are there actually any penalties beyond loosing your shield slot? AFAICS you basically get a free attack with you second weapon as long as the first one hits; the stats given in 'C' suggest that you attack as usual with each weapon, with no additional to hit penalty. There doesn't seem to be a timing penalty either. I've basically been clubbing weaker monsters with a pair of staves, and I'd like to know if its a good idea to continue with this setup on my next attempt. After all, how cool is the image of a dwarven druid beating on rats with 2x sputtering and crackling magic staff? Okay it is a bit Games Workshop...

The main downside is that you only get blows equal to the combined weight of your weapons, as opposed to each individually. e.g. less blows over all. Staffs are light enough that this shouldn't pose too much of a problem.

However, when you charge, you get a minimum of two blows, which is what you're seeing.

Andrew

Arralen
November 20, 2007, 07:50
Bert the Stone Troll
IIRC all three of them where slain when Gandalf tricked them into staying in the open until the sun came up, turning them into stone. As I just found a "Short Sword of Troll Slaying", I thought I give it a try ... and had some strange occurences happen to me ...

Is he really supposed to show up in full daylight (4-2 hours until midday) ? He should take damage from bright/day-light like vampires do (do they in UN?).
Is he really supposed to show up all alone on the top level of"Trollshaw Forest". From reading LotR, I always thought all the three of them where together normally?
Why do the dungeon stairs show up before he's dead? Means I could easily avoid him ...
He seems to have some "mechanical" problems: He bite (!) me at a range of 2, and when out of ammo, he danced back'n'forth when I was hiding behind/up on a tree.

Arralen
November 20, 2007, 08:49
"You have entered a brown room" ...
and stepped back trough the double-width door.. looks like the room appeared right at the edge of the map ?

Dwarf
Bard
Minstrel
LEVEL 10
NEXT 26
AU 1644

STR: 18 ####
INT: 15 ##
WIS: 13 #.@#
DEX: 18 #..#
CON: 16 #..#
CHR: 15 ### #. #
AGI: 11 ###############]# #. # #
SIZ: 10 #.............?.# #. #### #
#...............# #. ############
Cur AC 33 #...............# #.....
Max HP 74 #...............# #####. ...........
Cur HP 74 #...............# #######. ###########
Max SP 19 #######*.*####### ##.......
Cur SP 19 #.# # #....#. ..#....#...
#.# # ....... .
#####*.# #.\.####. ######### #

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
BBBBBwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
BBBBwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
BBBBBBBBwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
wwwwwwGGGGGGwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
wwwwGGGGGGGGwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
wwwGGGGGGGGGwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
wwwwwwGGGGGGwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwUUUUwwwwwwwwwwwwww
wwwwwwGGGGGGwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwUUUwwwwwwwwwwwwww
wwwwwwGGGGGGwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwWwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
wwwwwwGGGGGGwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwWywwwwwwwwwwwwwww
wwwwwwGGGGGGwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwDWywwwwwwwwwwwwwww
wwwwwwGGGGGGwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwDDDwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwDDwDwwwwwwwwwwwwww
wwwwwwGGGGGGwwwwwwwwwwwwsssssssssssssssUswwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwDDwDwwwwwwwwwwwwwD
wwwwwwGGGGGGwwwwwwwwwwwwsssssssssssssswsswwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwDDwDDDDwwwwwwwwwwD
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwssssssssssssssssswwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwDDwwwwDDDDDDDDDDDD

andrewdoull
November 20, 2007, 09:56
Bert the Stone Troll
IIRC all three of them where slain when Gandalf tricked them into staying in the open until the sun came up, turning them into stone. As I just found a "Short Sword of Troll Slaying", I thought I give it a try ... and had some strange occurences happen to me ...

Is he really supposed to show up in full daylight (4-2 hours until midday) ? He should take damage from bright/day-light like vampires do (do they in UN?).This is a valid tactic, but there's enough darkness under the trees for him to avoid the sunlight. Bashing trees down around him should help in this regard.

Is he really supposed to show up all alone on the top level of"Trollshaw Forest". From reading LotR, I always thought all the three of them where together normally?

The trolls are spread over the levels of Trollshaw forest to keep it interesting. It's easy enough to change that though, but they're pretty tough as it is.

Why do the dungeon stairs show up before he's dead? Means I could easily avoid him ...

Exactly.

He seems to have some "mechanical" problems: He bite (!) me at a range of 2, and when out of ammo, he danced back'n'forth when I was hiding behind/up on a tree.

He's huge, so he can attack at range two. The dancing is a bug - one I've still yet to track down.

Andrew

Daven_26d1
November 20, 2007, 11:17
The main downside is that you only get blows equal to the combined weight of your weapons, as opposed to each individually. e.g. less blows over all. Staffs are light enough that this shouldn't pose too much of a problem.

However, when you charge, you get a minimum of two blows, which is what you're seeing.

Ahh, that makes more sense. Carrying a pair of staves is more about getting two extra 0 mana spells anyway. So presumably blows are divided up by alternating between weapons, so 3 blows would be main--offhand--main?

Presumably also both weapons are figured into the weight allowance for triggering the "You feel uncomfortable using such a heavy weapon" message?

Oh, BTW I'm confused about the wizard lock spell, it doesn't appear to lock doors for me, but does seem to sometimes trap walls around them.
Why doesn't Warp Wood have an effect on doors, either jamming them or destroying them?

andrewdoull
November 20, 2007, 20:41
[quote=Arralen;3955]"You have entered a brown room" ...
and stepped back trough the double-width door.. looks like the room appeared right at the edge of the map ?

Dwarf
Bard
Minstrel
LEVEL 10
NEXT 26
AU 1644

STR: 18 ####
INT: 15 ##
WIS: 13 #.@#
DEX: 18 #..#
CON: 16 #..#
CHR: 15 ### #. #
AGI: 11 ###############]# #. # #
SIZ: 10 #.............?.# #. #### #
#...............# #. ############
Cur AC 33 #...............# #.....
Max HP 74 #...............# #####. ...........
Cur HP 74 #...............# #######. ###########
Max SP 19 #######*.*####### ##.......
Cur SP 19 #.# # #....#. ..#....#...
#.# # ....... .
#####*.# #.\.####. ######### #

I suspect that's the entrance to a vault. You need to tunnel around as the vault entrance is blocked by permanent rock, until you find the passable location.

Some vaults are completely undetectable in Unangband (detection spells don't work on them).

The clue is in the name 'brown room'. Very few normal rooms are given coloured descriptions, whereas vaults almost always are.

Andrew

Arralen
November 21, 2007, 07:31
I suspect that's the entrance to a vault.

S***t !! ... I have already left the level ..

You need to tunnel around as the vault entrance is blocked by permanent rock, until you find the passable location.
hmm... I opened the double-width door and it said "you entered .." .. and the walls beneath the door and in front of me where brown. I concluded that either the room got "squeezed away" by the edge of the map, or the doors missplaced or something (I got some doors in strange, somewhat absurd placed lately).
Didn't read thoroughly if there was something unusual like "indistructable" in the walls description ... too bad :(
On the other hand, the level feeling hadn't been that good either ;)

Arralen
November 22, 2007, 01:46
Crash Bug !

1) Load savegame with screen layout like this
http://de.geocities.com/arralen/UnWip7b_Level1.png

2) maximise the main screen by double-clicking on the windows top/ hitting the maximise button.

edit: step is not "needed": 3) have the game re-center and adjust the screen by moving 1 step.
(all slow centering options are enabled)

4) hit "l" to look around

=> crash

If you need any files, just tell me and I'll zip them up and send/attach them ...

Bandobras
November 22, 2007, 08:49
Windows, I presume? So, this will be hard to debug for us. Does anybody have this problem with V or NPP? Could you test?

Edit:
Arralen, I understand your bug is reproducable? Could you narrow down a little bit more the conditions necessary to reproduce? Are multiplie windows needed? Are centering options needed? Does any resizing cause this, or only maximize? What is your OS version, BTW?

Matthias
November 22, 2007, 10:02
Doesn't crash for me, WipXP SP2, UnWip7c

zaimoni
November 22, 2007, 14:23
Both looking and targeting are moderately unstable for me. (W2K, WIP6b tested; haven't decided where to play WIP6c as WIP6b had to be uninstalled for using 57MB of hard drive space when there was 60MB free before installation on that partition.)

It's not an automatic crash on initiating either command, but it's unstable enough that the only way I can play WIP6b is savescumming. (I can say that a hand crossbow works very nicely with a Dwarf Paladin.) Some crashes are automatic for a given savegame; others can be avoided by careful non-use of the mouse and *very* slow typing.

I use no auxilliary windows, but do play with almost full screen usage and 6x9 font. (In V, this lets me comfortably view the whole dungeon without scrolling; there is also only one sector in WIP6b this way).

Arralen
November 22, 2007, 18:09
1) Arralen, I understand your bug is reproducable? Could you narrow down a little bit more the conditions necessary to reproduce? 2) Are multiplie windows needed? 3)Are centering options needed? 4)Does any resizing cause this, or only maximize? 5)What is your OS version, BTW?

1) yes. load savegame, maximize, hit "l", crash
2) nope, disabled the view (but not the display toggles) or disabled toggles but view or both disabled => crash
3) yes
4) only maximize
4b) maximizing, "Ctrl-R", "l" doesn't make any difference ..
5) Win2k SP4 + rollerup + recent patches
6) Geforce 6600GT with nVidia 91.31. Might be a driver issue, but I run quite a bit of different games with them without any problems ...
7) Crash doesn't happen in e.g. FA 0.3.0 under similar circumstances

Daven_26d1
November 23, 2007, 13:53
Gosh my internet is slow with a 50G Torrent queque... =)

Quick question... where does Un store screenshots? I took a nice picture demonstrating how to pwn the Farm's guardian with the competition character, but I can't find it! Tried searches but can't remember the naming used for screenshots in *bands...

Bandobras
November 23, 2007, 14:27
Quick question... where does Un store screenshots?

It depends on the operating system, at least. Which screenshot? The ']' one or the ')' one? If the HTML one, search for *.html (was it dump.html?).

I took a nice picture demonstrating how to pwn the Farm's guardian with the competition character,

Great! I will start a new character soon (after loosing a few CL1 dwarf mages in Dol Guldur triggering the Sarumans' defection), so a free ride to Tom for a good start would be welcome. :) I hope next time we meet at Tom's receiving the gifts of his lady... :)

Daven_26d1
November 23, 2007, 17:54
It depends on the operating system, at least. Which screenshot? The ']' one or the ')' one? If the HTML one, search for *.html (was it dump.html?).

The mimic spotters 'sploit of choice - ']'. I can't seem to get a response from the ')' key in Un, unfortunately. Scanning ~/ for *htm* didnt help me, And I've done an "ls -al" in every folder inside Unangband. Any ideas what moronic mistake I'm making today? I also checked the base home dir, as I remember Sang dumped my screenshots there.

Great! I will start a new character soon (after loosing a few CL1 dwarf mages in Dol Guldur triggering the Sarumans' defection), so a free ride to Tom for a good start would be welcome. :) I hope next time we meet at Tom's receiving the gifts of his lady... :)

Okay "free ride" it ain't - My first success with this method I was lucky to get the last hit before The Dunlending did. In my current game, it was a cakewalk compared to the first, but you have to keep your wits about you or have decent stock of items. The important thing is that I was able to reproduce the success, and indeed reproduce more reliably.

Anyway, spores, shovel, ?PD are needed - !CSW make it a lot easier. As soon as I find the dump or when I restart I'll explain the tactics a little more helpfully. Besides, you're still beating me, I just popped Azog with my present char, not as good as Beorn, but I'm quite pleased with that for my best submission so far.

EDIT - of course, no shovel is needed whatsoever thanks to the nature of dwarves vs earth walls, but If I'd have said I used spores, ?PD and a pair of Dual wielded darts I don't think that would have been much of a hint!

Nick
November 23, 2007, 20:38
The mimic spotters 'sploit of choice - ']'. I can't seem to get a response from the ')' key in Un, unfortunately. Scanning ~/ for *htm* didnt help me, And I've done an "ls -al" in every folder inside Unangband.

try ~/.angband/Unangband

Daven_26d1
November 23, 2007, 20:48
Any ideas what moronic mistake I'm making today?

try ~/.angband/Unangband

*bangs head on desk*

Arralen
November 24, 2007, 18:35
.. guess they should be summoning termites, not more mounds, shouldn't they?? ;) :)

andrewdoull
November 25, 2007, 07:02
.. guess they should be summoning termites, not more mounds, shouldn't they?? ;) :)

Ah yes.

I appreciate all the feedback you're giving, but is there any chance of you being able to log bugs at http://developer.berlios.de/bugs/?group_id=331 as well/instead.

It makes it a whole lot easier for me to track them.

Thanks in advance

Arralen
November 25, 2007, 07:57
I appreciate all the feedback you're giving, but is there any chance of you being able to log bugs at http://developer.berlios.de/bugs/?group_id=331 as well/instead.

*sigh*

Yet Another Login To Remember ... ;) :)

bane
December 9, 2007, 23:58
Yo, the OSX binary download is quite broken. 404.

edit: looks like a capitalization problem in the URL posted here in the OP, as well as on the front page of the Unangband site.

andrewdoull
December 10, 2007, 03:53
Yo, the OSX binary download is quite broken. 404.

edit: looks like a capitalization problem in the URL posted here in the OP, as well as on the front page of the Unangband site.

Thanks. Fixed.