PDA

View Full Version : Competition 95

Nick
November 26, 2010, 07:04
Competition 95 is now available from the competition page (http://angband.oook.cz/competition.php?showcompo=95); it is a Fangband (yes, Fangband) High-Elf Mage.

Note that comp 94 still has about 5 days to go.

buzzkill
November 26, 2010, 19:14
Does anyone have a feel for this Fangband that could provide a brief description. It's not listed on the Oook variant tab, and all I found on the web was Fang Band (a band), some FAangband links and this plethora of info from Wiki (in it's entierety)...

Not to be confused with FAangband

... which it apparently is, quite often.

Magnate
November 26, 2010, 22:08
Does anyone have a feel for this Fangband that could provide a brief description. It's not listed on the Oook variant tab, and all I found on the web was Fang Band (a band), some FAangband links and this plethora of info from Wiki (in it's entierety)...

... which it apparently is, quite often.It's one of the earliest variants, possibly the very first. So expect an experience like frog-knows. That's all I know.

buzzkill
November 27, 2010, 03:00
The (furytech) Fangband download is a self extracting exe. Put it in a folder before you execute it.
Rename the save file "SAVE" and place it in the main Fangband directory.

PAV/NICK: The competition ladder doesn't accept the character dump. It seems slightly barren, maybe I did something wrong.

Does anyone know if there is an equivalent of the 'n' (again) key in Fangband?

Nick
November 27, 2010, 03:22
PAV/NICK: The competition ladder doesn't accept the character dump. It seems slightly barren, maybe I did something wrong.

It's too old a variant to have a parser on oook - my bad for not letting pav know this was happening.

Does anyone know if there is an equivalent of the 'n' (again) key in Fangband?

I don't think so. Note that this savefile is set to roguelike keyset by default, too.

pav
November 27, 2010, 17:16
It does not have the usual header with variant name, so dumps will be allowed on competition ladder only. That said, it should work now.

buzzkill
December 1, 2010, 00:01
Fangband is painful to play. Why (are we doing this)?
Is there a way to resize the default window?
There's no turn count in the char dump. We'll need a new winning formula.

Nick
December 1, 2010, 02:04
Fangband is painful to play. Why (are we doing this)?

So people stop complaining about small stuff :)

Is there a way to resize the default window?

Nope.

There's no turn count in the char dump. We'll need a new winning formula.

Yes, back-to-back failures by me to have a verifiable win condition. I'll change this to just straight experience.

Bostock
December 2, 2010, 14:43
Does anyone have a feel for this Fangband that could provide a brief description.

People's descriptions of work (play it is apparently not) with this variant have left me not wanting to join the comp this month, but I was curious about this mystery variant, so I did some poking around. This page might prove of interest:

http://www.furytech.net/tech/angband-mirror/fangband/fangband-1-0-changelog/

buzzkill
December 4, 2010, 17:24
:( I find it hard to believe that there's no way to inspect an item, to see what properties it has. How is one supposed to keep track of resists or know what abilities artifacts have. Is there some less-than-obvious frog-knows command that I'm missing?

Can anyone explain the difference between staffs of perceptions and enlightenment?

Derakon
December 4, 2010, 18:51
If I recall correctly, the only way to get a full reading of the abilities of an item is to read a Scroll of *Identify* on it, and then write down what you see before dismissing the message. You can also deduce what powers an item has by using Potions of Self-Knowledge.

Roch
December 5, 2010, 00:29
Yes, I used a potion of self-knowledge after I removed my ring of FA, to determine that my other equipment gave me FA. I never came across a ? of *Id*.

Roch
December 20, 2010, 09:18
Nick/pav, please replace my name as the comp 94 winner with thapper's.

Nick
December 24, 2010, 11:49
Competition 95 has now officially finished; congratulations to Roch for winning and Buzzkill for participating. I promise not to do that again. Well, not exactly that.

Note that Comp 96 still has about five days to run.

Matthias
December 24, 2010, 12:22
I think this competition did a really good job of showing us how much Angband has improved over the years, especially in the interface department and also in stability. My attempt died by notebook overheating from too much CPU usage o_0

buzzkill
December 24, 2010, 15:10
The UI's painful, the game isn't all bad. Just a few tweaks could make it bearable to play. I actually looked at the source code figuring it would be much more easier to understand than more modern variants, and then realized why I'd given up so many times before.

Timo Pietilš
December 24, 2010, 15:37
The UI's painful, the game isn't all bad. Just a few tweaks could make it bearable to play. I actually looked at the source code figuring it would be much more easier to understand than more modern variants, and then realized why I'd given up so many times before.

IIRC f-k angband code is somewhat spaghetticode that you really need to twist your brain to understand what's going on. Ben did great job clearing that up. After that it did get easier and easier until Takkaria took over. After that meaning of the several functions have gone twisted again, you need to really know C to make any changes. Just before Ben dropped from maintainer and Robert took over you really didn't need to know C, just make changes because syntax was so obvious to anybody with half a brain what they do.

I have pretty much lost hope to ever make my own variant, but maybe some day when I get some decent vacation (more than one month without relatives interfering) I get something done.

buzzkill
December 24, 2010, 15:44
I think it's (not only, but) the OS specific code that clutters up the rest of it. I'm not a C programmer, but I know a little and it seems that there should be bits and pieces of code that just jump out and me, stuff I could look at and say "Yeah, I see what that does." That hasn't happened yet.