PDA

View Full Version : Competition 99

Nick
February 15, 2011, 11:19
Competition 99 is now available from the competition page (http://angband.oook.cz/competition.php?showcompo=99); it is an Angband 3.2.0 Half-Troll Rogue.

Note that comp 98 still has a day or so to go; it's exciting, even if it's clear who the winner is.

Ycombinator
February 15, 2011, 14:22
The sound of the giant white centipede dying with full volume in the headphones almost gave me a heart attack :-) I've never played Angband with sound and barely remembered it has an option for it.

Nomad
February 15, 2011, 15:12
The sound of the giant white centipede dying with full volume in the headphones almost gave me a heart attack :-) I've never played Angband with sound and barely remembered it has an option for it.

You know, I read this message. Then I downloaded the save file, opened Angband, and proceeded to do exactly the same thing. Yah!

Taha
February 16, 2011, 01:33
Is this competition limited to 3.2, or can it be played with the nightlies? Things have probably gotten harder in the nightlies at this point, but I think a number of bugs have been fixed as well.
________
Sweetcutepussy25 (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/sweetcutepussy25/)

dos350
February 16, 2011, 09:08

id hate to imagine, iv been scared to try sound ee,

maybe i try this comp if i can hav time after finishing my protest~ even if it has bad stair options,~ee, im sad i wsnt able to before this started

LostTemplar
February 16, 2011, 12:37
Btw I like that sound too.

PowerDiver
February 16, 2011, 17:24
Is this competition limited to 3.2, or can it be played with the nightlies? Things have probably gotten harder in the nightlies at this point, but I think a number of bugs have been fixed as well.

I think you have to limit it to 3.2.0. First off, I turned on randarts, and I am not sure they are compatible. Secondly, if scrolls of restore item are still in the nightlies, unchanged, that may really change the first half of the game.

View it as a chance to see if any non-bugfix changes are particularly important to beg to be included in 3.2.1 should that ever exist. I set up the savefile to expose the unitiated to the power of throwing oil [those bless are so you hit more often with each precious flask]. You may also encounter a huge early money pile. Those are two peeves of mine.

If you wonder whether you should return to town quickly, you can use '~' to examine the store contents the last time the @ was in town.

Roch
February 16, 2011, 19:37
What is the current color scheme for uniques? Apparently Nar the dwarf is now sort of white, no longer yellow. Are all uniques this color now?

Timo Pietilš
February 17, 2011, 08:00
I think you have to limit it to 3.2.0. First off, I turned on randarts, and I am not sure they are compatible. Secondly, if scrolls of restore item are still in the nightlies, unchanged, that may really change the first half of the game.

One major thing that has been changed is "8" blocks in vaults. They now contain guaranteed excellent item in nightlies so if you encounter CGV in nightlies result is completely different than what you would get from 3.2.0, and also all those medium vaults with "8" blocks are much better there.

This fix is probably also in 3.2.1, if it gets released, so for competition sake you just need to stick in 3.2.0.

thapper
February 17, 2011, 09:08
What is the current color scheme for uniques? Apparently Nar the dwarf is now sort of white, no longer yellow. Are all uniques this color now?

The "Special colours for uniques" option is turned on in the savefile (this also turns all uniques into black squares in any tile mode). Turning it off returns Nar to his normal yellow.

PowerDiver
February 17, 2011, 16:51
The "Special colours for uniques" option is turned on in the savefile (this also turns all uniques into black squares in any tile mode). Turning it off returns Nar to his normal yellow.

Sorry about that. I also probably have auto-more on. I should have turned those two off before submitting the savefile.

bulian
February 18, 2011, 00:53
What is the general opinion at looking at the randart set via the wizard for a comp character? I haven't, but if everyone else is, than I might. A firm "go ahead" or "don't, that's cheating" is requested.

PD, you shouldn't have mentioned checking the store interface. That (+4,+5) dagger in there looks mighty tasty...

dos350
February 18, 2011, 06:30
auto inscribe is danger eeeek

PowerDiver
February 18, 2011, 07:11
PD, you shouldn't have mentioned checking the store interface. That (+4,+5) dagger in there looks mighty tasty...

The store interface is a nice UI improvement. Someone, I think Magnate, put substantial effort into it and did it better than I would have done. If you like it, be sure to use it and spread the word.

bron
February 24, 2011, 17:40
Nick - I notice that the competition says it is being scored using "standard turns," but the number being displayed on the ladder is "game turns." Any chance that can be changed?

Nick
February 24, 2011, 19:47
Sure, there's a chance :)

Nick
February 25, 2011, 22:24
Nick - I notice that the competition says it is being scored using "standard turns," but the number being displayed on the ladder is "game turns." Any chance that can be changed?

Interesting footnote - pav noted that the ladder order didn't alter when he made this change.