PDA

View Full Version : Site improvement

pav
April 23, 2007, 02:33
I have finished first step of integrating Forums with the rest of the site. From now on, you can use your Forum login to post comments, upload dumps on Ladder, post screenshots and movies. This is a convenient way of cloaking your email address, as this Forum is set up the way your email address is never shown to public.

dionysian
April 23, 2007, 03:13
you're awesome

Keeper
April 24, 2007, 15:27
Very nice idea!

Faust
April 24, 2007, 20:38
When You click on a thread in the "Active threads on forum" section of the front page of the site it would be nice if it took you to that post rather than the first post in the thread. :)

pav
April 24, 2007, 20:57
When You click on a thread in the "Active threads on forum" section of the front page of the site it would be nice if it took you to that post rather than the first post in the thread. :)
Good idea - implemented.

dionysian
April 24, 2007, 22:45
i've posted more than one character to the ladder, and in the emotional moments following their demise, lost my sense of pride forgot to dump. i'm probably not the only one. i think it would be a great idea to provide a way for a logged in user to flag one of his dumps dead.

pav
April 25, 2007, 00:57
i've posted more than one character to the ladder, and in the emotional moments following their demise, lost my sense of pride forgot to dump. i'm probably not the only one. i think it would be a great idea to provide a way for a logged in user to flag one of his dumps dead.

Good idea. I'm a patient player so I never had the need for it.

Implemented. It's in the comment column just below the Related characters.

dionysian
April 25, 2007, 01:19
excellent response time, and good work :)

takkaria
April 25, 2007, 01:51
How about being able to post to r.g.r.a if you're logged in on the forums? (with appropriate warning about email being displayed)

Faust
April 25, 2007, 01:57
Would it be possible to have a log out button at the top of the site? As at the minute if I forget to log out of the forum and then go elsewhere on the site I have to come back to the forum to log out.

Kiyoshi Aman
April 25, 2007, 04:47
If you go that route, the ability to read RGRN would be nice, too. I don't particularly like Google Groups.

pav
April 25, 2007, 07:16
How about being able to post to r.g.r.a if you're logged in on the forums? (with appropriate warning about email being displayed)
I considered this, but haven't had time to implement it yet. It's on the to-do.

pav
April 25, 2007, 07:17
Would it be possible to have a log out button at the top of the site? As at the minute if I forget to log out of the forum and then go elsewhere on the site I have to come back to the forum to log out.
In every place where forum login is used on the site, there's always Log out link nearby, so I don't see the need for this. I don't want to force the impression this is a log-in site on casual visitors.

pav
April 25, 2007, 07:29
If you go that route, the ability to read RGRN would be nice, too. I don't particularly like Google Groups.
I have added rec.games.roguelike.nethack to the site - adding another newsgroup is pretty easy. You must excuse the lack of proper threadage, because my news server carries only like 14 days worth of articles. It will get better over time.

Faust
April 25, 2007, 14:51
I don't want to force the impression this is a log-in site on casual visitors.
No problem, getting used to it now. :)

dionysian
April 25, 2007, 23:42
another thing... over the years, i've changed email address a couple times, so i think my characters are spread out over 3 emails. a way to claim previous emails would be nice. but i realize this poses a great many problems... just a thought.

pav
April 26, 2007, 00:08
another thing... over the years, i've changed email address a couple times, so i think my characters are spread out over 3 emails. a way to claim previous emails would be nice. but i realize this poses a great many problems... just a thought.
I'm willing to fix people up on individual basis. So if you want this united perhaps under your Forum moniker, just PM or email me list of the old emails.

Pete Mack
April 26, 2007, 04:24
I like the little 'branding' icons in the address bar--they make it a lot easier to navigate tabs in Firefox. There are plenty of icons available for Angband: the original Angband JRRT icon*, andrew's little Mr @ guy, or even just a plain '@', in white-on-black.

* The JRRT icon may be copyright, so perhaps it's better to keep that one under the public radar.

pav
April 26, 2007, 10:13
I like the little 'branding' icons in the address bar--they make it a lot easier to navigate tabs in Firefox. There are plenty of icons available for Angband: the original Angband JRRT icon*, andrew's little Mr @ guy, or even just a plain '@', in white-on-black.

That would be nice to have, agreed. Where can I get my hands on that JRRT icon?

Nick
April 26, 2007, 14:31
Here's a picture:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:JRRT_logo.svg
and another:
http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~jchance/jrrt01.gif

Another idea would be Gandalf's G rune, or one of the heraldry tiles (like the Luthien one I use as the FA icon).

pav
April 26, 2007, 15:12
http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~jchance/jrrt01.gif (http://www.ruf.rice.edu/%7Ejchance/jrrt01.gif)

Ah this one. Nah, that's too complex to fly downscaled to 16x16 pixels.

I was thinking more about the yellow parchment icon that used to get around with Vanilla Windows releases...

or one of the heraldry tiles (like the Luthien one I use as the FA icon).

Oooh, and how does that look like?

Pete Mack
April 26, 2007, 15:41
pav writes:
> Oooh, and how does [luthien] look like?
See:
http://angband.oook.cz/faangband

I've attached the jrrt icon, tiny version, used on Angband OSX in just about all variants. (OSX uses a multisize icon.)

pav
April 26, 2007, 16:03
Okay I get the idea. Unfortunately, both are illegible in this size. For now I'll stick with the "lame" favicon I added today.

Pete Mack
April 26, 2007, 16:09
Okay I get the idea. Unfortunately, both are illegible in this size. For now I'll stick with the "lame" favicon I added today.

Actually, I kind of think something like this is very legible, and understandable

pav
April 26, 2007, 17:22
Actually, I kind of think something like this is very legible, and understandable
Have you seen what I've added? It's basically the same - http://angband.oook.cz/favicon.png

Pete Mack
April 26, 2007, 18:50
> Have you seen what I've added? It's basically the same

Yours is better, and no I haven't. It's not showing up in either Firefox or Safari, even after I quit the app and restarted.

Faust
April 26, 2007, 20:57
It's not showing up in either Firefox or Safari, even after I quit the app and restarted.
it's show's up in IE but not Firefox for me!

Faust
April 26, 2007, 21:18
now it's started working in Firefox 2. Strange

pav
April 26, 2007, 23:15
There was a "funny" .ico file already present, which contained a C code to generate an XPM resource of the icon... so you probably have that cached. Firefox is asking for updated favicon.ico only very seldom.

Go to preferences and empty cache.

Faust
April 26, 2007, 23:18
Go to preferences and empty cache.
That's probably what it was as it appeared after I'd cleaned the cache. :)

pav
April 28, 2007, 12:58
Minor things done - r.g.r.a posting is now possible with forum login (but you can't set a custom signature). Ladder is now searchable both by email and by forum identity.

andrewdoull
May 1, 2007, 20:00
Minor things done - r.g.r.a posting is now possible with forum login (but you can't set a custom signature). Ladder is now searchable both by email and by forum identity.

Can you pull the forum signature for this? I miss my tag line...

pav
May 1, 2007, 23:57
Done.

This proved to be much more difficult than I anticipated. I basically need to fire up the whole vBulletin engine in my page, to get access to the BbCode parser.

As it was rather radical cut to my code, I'm afraid I broke something somewhere. Please let me know if you see any odd behaviour.

andrewdoull
May 2, 2007, 10:54
Done.

This proved to be much more difficult than I anticipated. I basically need to fire up the whole vBulletin engine in my page, to get access to the BbCode parser.

As it was rather radical cut to my code, I'm afraid I broke something somewhere. Please let me know if you see any odd behaviour.

Thanks heaps. Didn't realise it was going to be such a big job...

Will let you know if I see problems.

Pete Mack
May 2, 2007, 22:12
When I navigate to the attachment in this post:
http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showpost.php?p=329&postcount=20

it asks for a password to view the attached image, whether or not I am currently logged in.

pav
May 2, 2007, 22:31
When I navigate to the attachment in this post:
http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showpost.php?p=329&postcount=20

it asks for a password to view the attached image, whether or not I am currently logged in.
I have enabled displaying attachments to non-logged in users. But it should be showing it to you just fine, while logged in. That's odd.

Nick
May 5, 2007, 01:31

Is this working? My recent posts to rgra have been sigless.

pav
May 5, 2007, 14:36
Is this working? My recent posts to rgra have been sigless.
It should be working. It's working for me and for UnAndrew... If it does not work for you next time, I'll set up some debug traps.

Pete Mack
May 6, 2007, 00:04
Is there a mark-all-read command in the forums, for the 'new posts' page?

pav
May 6, 2007, 00:05
Is there a mark-all-read command in the forums, for the 'new posts' page?
Tap the Quick Links pulldown, and choose Mark Forums Read. I haven't tried it, but it sounds like what you're looking for.

Pete Mack
May 6, 2007, 05:45
Tap the Quick Links pulldown, and choose Mark Forums Read. I haven't tried it, but it sounds like what you're looking for.

Thanks pav, that does it. Don't know how I missed it before.

Nick
May 7, 2007, 04:22
It should be working. It's working for me and for UnAndrew... If it does not work for you next time, I'll set up some debug traps.

Yes, all seems good now, thanks.

Kiyoshi Aman
May 9, 2007, 12:07
Re: the news reader

It'd be neat if you could ROT13/unROT13 messages [since RGRN users tend to ROT13 spoilers].

pav
May 9, 2007, 12:24
It'd be neat if you could ROT13/unROT13 messages [since RGRN users tend to ROT13 spoilers].
Silly creatures these Nethack players! I added a very basic rot13 functionality, it's in a battery of hyperlinks below the thread overview. Try it!

Kiyoshi Aman
May 9, 2007, 18:09
Silly creatures these Nethack players! I added a very basic rot13 functionality, it's in a battery of hyperlinks below the thread overview. Try it!

Thanks much!

Neil Stevens
May 9, 2007, 19:25
So apparently it's possible to link forum accounts to Ladder entries?

How does that work, and would it be possible to aggregate multiple email addresses that way?

Nice work on the site by the way.

Thanks,

pav
May 9, 2007, 19:27
Hi Neil, great to have you around.

From now on, all characters you post while logged into forums will have the forum identity. If you want to convert older characters, just drop me a PM with a list of email addresses you used in the past, and I'll take care of it.

zasvid
May 9, 2007, 20:32
So apparently it's possible to link forum accounts to Ladder entries?

How does that work, and would it be possible to aggregate multiple email addresses that way?

Heh, is it a coincidence or did you notice my changes to wiki page?

Neil Stevens
May 9, 2007, 21:13
Heh, is it a coincidence or did you notice my changes to wiki page?

Not a coincidence at all. Saw your change, thought that was odd, came over to look and saw the site having been drastically altered, heh.

zasvid
May 9, 2007, 21:33
Not a coincidence at all. Saw your change, thought that was odd, came over to look and saw the site having been drastically altered, heh.

Cool, I managed to spread the word of new oook (quite accidentally). Now, if I only had time to frequent here and catch up with wiki-stuff (and play some Angband/ToME too). *sigh*

Chris Wesling
May 27, 2007, 05:08
Could you add the "previous thread" and "next thread" links to the top of the page as well? Currently they're only at the bottom of the page, and if you have the posts set to display as "newest first", you end up reading from the bottom of the page to the top and then having to go all the way back down for those links.

pav
May 27, 2007, 14:21
Could you add the "previous thread" and "next thread" links to the top of the page as well? Currently they're only at the bottom of the page, and if you have the posts set to display as "newest first", you end up reading from the bottom of the page to the top and then having to go all the way back down for those links.
Added.

This is a modification to something I haven't wrote (the forum is a commercial software), so I hope you don't mind me cursing you in the future, when I have to bring this modification to the next vendor release. :D

Kiyoshi Aman
May 27, 2007, 15:55
If you could duplicate the path display at the top on the bottom as well, that'd be nice too, since going back to the top to navigate elseforum is a bit of a drag otherwise. [Same for the navigation bar.]

Also, the title of the RGRN news archive is stuck on RGRA's.

pav
May 27, 2007, 16:43
If you could duplicate the path display at the top on the bottom as well, that'd be nice too, since going back to the top to navigate elseforum is a bit of a drag otherwise. [Same for the navigation bar.]
There is a Forum Jump thing in the bottom right corner of the page, would that do? I'd really hate to do any substantial hacks to forum software, as they will fire back at me once I have to upgrade to new vendor release.
Also, the title of the RGRN news archive is stuck on RGRA's.
In case you mean HTML element TITLE, fixed. Or, what do you mean? ;)

Kiyoshi Aman
May 28, 2007, 20:12
There is a Forum Jump thing in the bottom right corner of the page, would that do? I'd really hate to do any substantial hacks to forum software, as they will fire back at me once I have to upgrade to new vendor release.

Yes, that'll do, but it won't replace the menu bar for different parts of the site.

In case you mean HTML element TITLE, fixed. Or, what do you mean? ;)

You got it, yes.

Matthias
May 29, 2007, 16:11
I recently learned to use the home and end buttons a lot when browsing. Solves that problem too

camlost
May 30, 2007, 03:37
I find the way the variant list is ordered in the ladder section to be quite hard to follow. Perhaps I'm the only one, but my eyes want to scan that list vertically, rather than horizontally, making it quite difficult to find variants. I would like to see them listed in alphabetical order down then across the page, so like this:

Angband Entroband Fury ...
AngbandTk EyAngband FuryBand
Animeband FAAngband FuryMod
Drangband FrazBand Gerband ...

Right, there's a word for that. I want the variant list to be transposed.

pav
May 30, 2007, 09:40
Transposed it is, then.

Nolendil
May 30, 2007, 13:31
Nice.
Maybe do the same for the screenshot section?

pav
May 30, 2007, 13:35
Maybe do the same for the screenshot section?
That one is getting out of the hand, yeah. I need to do something with it.

Fuma
June 3, 2007, 11:23
I never could figure out what do those numbers on the far right of the r.g.r.a. thread list mean?

Nick
June 3, 2007, 12:36
I never could figure out what do those numbers on the far right of the r.g.r.a. thread list mean?

Number of lines in the post?

Fuma
June 3, 2007, 19:18
Oh. Indeed, it's the number of lines in the post.
Kinda weird feature, but I can think of a few ways it can be useful.

Thank you for the anwser, Nick.

takkaria
June 3, 2007, 20:22
Kinda weird feature, but I can think of a few ways it can be useful.

It is (or was, at least) a pretty common feature of newsreaders. I think Mozilla Thunderbird, for instance, is set up to display the number of lines by default.

camlost
June 13, 2007, 16:32
What I'd really like is for the site to archive the old character dumps that are put up here, allowing someone to read them (some comments really only make sense that way). I'm not sure of the best UI way of doing this, but I think it'd be really nice. That way, you can look at a character one slice at a time. Something like links alongside the comments for a character, maybe?

Also, is there any capacity for turning off getting comments once you've started getting them?

pav
June 13, 2007, 16:41
I'm not sure I understand. So you want a history of a single character, ie series of character dumps, instead of current keep-the-best-only thing?

As for the second, if you mean email notifications, no, no one needed it yet.

camlost
June 13, 2007, 18:18
Yes, as in each character dump for a single character would be stored. It's not a big deal, but it seems like it could be neat.

Yes, I meant email notifications. No need to implement it for me, I was just curious.

pav
June 13, 2007, 18:23
Yes, as in each character dump for a single character would be stored. It's not a big deal, but it seems like it could be neat.
Hmm, well, it isn't total nonsense, but don't expect it soon, either. :o

Keeper
June 18, 2007, 22:38
I just got an idea...
Why not adding come kind of BBCode to the Ladder comments?

pav
June 18, 2007, 22:42
I just got an idea...
Why not adding come kind of BBCode to the Ladder comments?
If you knew how painful is it to get to the BBCode parsers from outside the forums, owww :mad:

I did that for usenet signatures, don't want to wade into that direction again. :(

Keeper
June 18, 2007, 22:56
I don't think it's that bad, I develop PHP/MySql site as my job and we normally give a simple BBcode editor to every text that can be modified in the administration site. :D
I meant a simple BBcode, simple as using only some tags like <b> <i> <u> may be <font size> <font color> and <ul> or <ol>.
I got this idea by looking at this (http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=6816) dump and noticed how the author wanted to emphasized some text and used only underscores... :rolleyes:

pav
June 18, 2007, 23:33
_Underscores_ and *asterisk* are good old Usenet habits. Some readers or mail clients even emphasise them on their own in plain texts. (Underscores stands for italic and asterisk for bold.)

If I'd go for BBcode in Ladder, I'd not want it to be different from the BBcode in forums. Why should people learn two different markups?

Keeper
June 19, 2007, 09:27
I haven't explained myself correctly: my idea was to add a simplified version of the forum BBcode interface, with the same bbtags like [b], [i] and so on...
Two posts ago I was only suggesting which html tags to use, not which format: the common tags using [ and ] should be used.
Sorry if my english is sometimes bad :p

pav
June 19, 2007, 10:03
No I understood you correctly. But I don't want to have two different BBcodes on the site, even if one is a subset of the other.

Fuma
October 20, 2007, 18:51
Could the "show pop-up notification on new private messages" be turned on by default?

As it is currently, it's easy to miss the little "unread 1" in the corner of the screen, and people who don't expect private messages won't really notice the above option. (Unless they like to check and modify their settings, but I suspect this kind of user would notice a new PM either way)

will_asher
October 20, 2007, 19:11
Just read this message and looked where it might say "unread 1", and sure enough I had an unread private message. It was quite outdated.

pav
October 23, 2007, 14:07
That's option you were presented with during the account registration. I could change the default for new registrations, but I can't update it for existing accounts, I don't know who wanted it 'off' and who just left the default.

Fuma
October 23, 2007, 21:54
I'm aware that you can't change the already registered accounts, but changing the default would be nice I think.

pav
October 24, 2007, 01:32
I'm aware that you can't change the already registered accounts, but changing the default would be nice I think.
I have already done this when I wrote my previous answer on this thread. :D

Daven_26d1
October 24, 2007, 01:39
This is a good idea. I sent a message of encouragement to a new player very recently, then realised he'll probably either never see it, or reply to it in two months time and confuse me.