PDA

View Full Version : The Official Bad Advice Thread

steeg1234321
April 2, 2008, 06:08
I figured we need a thread on here for all the bad advice, bad ideas, and words of "wisdom" we've accumulated over our adventures.

Here's mine; "Always read unidentified scrolls right before going into battle, you never know when you'll find a scroll of blessing that might have gone to waste otherwise."

Djabanete
April 2, 2008, 08:13
Your character becomes immortal at midnight.

Rizwan
April 2, 2008, 09:15
I figured we need a thread on here for all the bad advice, bad ideas, and words of "wisdom" we've accumulated over our adventures.

Here's mine; "Always read unidentified scrolls right before going into battle, you never know when you'll find a scroll of blessing that might have gone to waste otherwise."
Corollary: Always drink unidentified potions, eat unidentified mushrooms when low on HP. You might get lucky and find an OOD !of *Healing*, !ofStat Gain, or mushroom of restoring etc.

Dragonboneman
April 2, 2008, 16:05
Fight drolems! They give lots of XP!

ekolis
April 2, 2008, 16:53
Corollary: Always drink unidentified potions, eat unidentified mushrooms when low on HP. You might get lucky and find an OOD !of *Healing*, !ofStat Gain, or mushroom of restoring etc.

Hey, that's not all that bad advice... in my experience at least most of the potions I've found are good ones; the bad ones are few and far between! Of course I rarely get a character past clvl/dlvl 10, so maybe the bad potions don't show up until deeper... :P If so, maybe a rebalance is in order to make the game a bit less predictable?

But here's some REAL bad advice: Always put on the first un-ID'd ring you find! (Rings, as you may have noticed, are the opposite of potions - the GOOD ones don't show up until deeper; the first few always seem to be weakness and aggravation! :P Rebalance?)

Cardinal Rob
April 2, 2008, 17:11
If you can't see the Drakolisk hiding around the corner, he can't see you.
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=7622

roustk
April 2, 2008, 17:21

That's bad advice? I *always* try unID'd potions while wounded, and preferably when poisoned -- otherwise you won't be able to learn most of the potions. The same tends to be true of mushrooms, although the reward is less.

Other fun things to try with unID'd stuff:
* Shoot unID'd wands at interesting monsters. Fast uniques are particularly fun targets, but I can't remember whether you can learn Confuse, Sleep, or Scare with them.
* Use unID'd staffs and scrolls on new levels (not cleared levels). This is the best way to identify Detect Invisible, Evil, and Traps. The occasional summon whatsit isn't that dangerous, even with disconnected stairs. With staffs, it helps to be wounded, too.

Kevin

Big Al
April 2, 2008, 21:16
I normally try to quaff potions with I'm very very slightly injured or poisoned, etc. You don't want to quaff a potion of poison when you're at 2 HP though.

Paffa
April 2, 2008, 22:14
always melee mystics, especially grand master mystics :D

I killed my promising Half-troll priest by drinking an un-id'd potion.. of death :(

protomech
April 3, 2008, 04:35
If you've reduced a unique to fleeing through your superior Mage-tastic firepower, you should definitely hit him with a Meteor Swarm to make sure he dies. Nothing says overkill like the sounds of drop destruction.

If you are forced to flee battle by teleporting away at low hp, you should definitely cast 'Light Area' before healing up. The chances of porting into line of sight of a Great Wyrm, Dracolich, Dracolisk, Death Drake, Drolem, Greater Basilisk, big breathing unique, fire-breathing major demons, a pack of nasty hounds, pack of nether-bolt-slinging undead, giants that throw boulders, or some mixture thereof.. are frankly too small to even mention.

You should continue to haul all manner of heavy gear back to town to sell through the mid-game. After all, you're almost certain to see some kind of awesome end-game gear like boots of speed (+3) for sale in town. Then won't you be glad you spent all that extra time wandering the dungeon at speed (-2).

You should continue to stay in the fight with a big melee'ing monster like a Great Wyrm as long as you're winning. You'll probably kill it next round, and in the unlikely event that you don't, there's basically no chance it'll hit with *all* of its melee attacks. Or something else will join the fray. After all, this is your last chance to kill a Great Wyrm - and you know it's carrying a tasty Ring of Speed (+18).

// guilty of all of the above

Pete Mack
April 3, 2008, 04:47
All right, this

You should continue to haul all manner of heavy gear back to town to sell through the mid-game. After all, you're almost certain to see some kind of awesome end-game gear like boots of speed (+3) for sale in town. Then won't you be glad you spent all that extra time wandering the dungeon at speed (-2).
is funny as hell. lol!

Triskaidecapod
April 3, 2008, 05:33
Remember, the best kind of wyrm to clone if you're looking for a good RoS is a Great Storm Wyrm!

PowerDiver
April 3, 2008, 08:30
You don't get maximum utility from your scroll of dispel undead unless you read it inside an undead pit. Be sure to haste and use stone-to-mud to get inside before too many get out.

Nick
April 3, 2008, 10:47
While we're on things we're guilty of...

As a warrior, activating your armour is the safest method of healing or banishing if failure would cause you to die next turn.
If you see a sleeping Hummerhorn, walk up to it and hit it - it is less likely to wake up than if you shoot it.
Don't be afraid of Gravity Hounds. They won't all breathe at once.
Kavlax is unlikely to breathe the thing you don't resist, or at least not the first turn he can see you.
If there is a ghost in the wall of the room you're in, just wait until it comes out and cast Dispel Undead.
Running is too many keystrokes - just hold down the arrow key.
A monster you've never seen before is unlikely to instakill you.
If you're surrounded by things that have just been summoned, the best means of escape is to kill the weakest one, and then run away through the resulting gap, especially if you are a mage with 0% fail teleport.

Cardinal Rob
April 3, 2008, 13:22
If your low Str character finds a Lance 2d8, you should equip it instead of your dagger. Although you won't hit as often, it'll be worth it because you'll do so much more damage and critical a lot more frequently. The monsters won't stand a chance! Make sure you wear no armour at all so you are light enough not to have a speed penalty!

You should try to get your girlfriend interested in the game. It will be good for your relationship, and her emotive input will keep you morally in check, preventing you from brutalising those innocent Scruffy Looking Hobbits, Shrieking Mushrooms, Angels, Trolls (because they are small and have poofie hair), Faerie Dragons, Purple Jellies and poor defenseless Farmer Maggot!

Only carry one Word of Recall scroll to exit the dungeon, that way when you use it you will have another slot to carry a piece of equipment. The chances of that Fire Hound incinerating that one scroll is very remote indeed, and even if the scroll does get burned, you will find another one lying around the dungeon. They're everywhere!

Pick up those Hallucination Mushrooms, the black market should be interested in them right?

Just another hour play... you can still get plenty of sleep until morning and you'll be fresh for that exam.

Rizwan
April 3, 2008, 17:59
What I meant was and probably should have mentioned clearly that doing this while battling nasties and not safe and sound in a corner of the dungeon, or maybe even in town, was a bad idea. Then again maybe its because I sell all the unidentified stuff before I get ID from a book (I usually play fighter with magic) and my conservative style of play :D

Psi
April 4, 2008, 00:12
The best bad advice I can give is...

- an unId'd ring is always worth risking your life for
- whatever else you could do, just one more round of melee is always worth it
- an opponent at one star cannot possibly kill you
- never waste a ?TL when there is a slight chance a teleport might be safe
- healing schmealing

will_asher
April 4, 2008, 01:17
If there is a ghost in the wall of the room you're in, just wait until it comes out and cast Dispel Undead.

Why is this bad advice?

Pete Mack
April 4, 2008, 01:48
With good melee, you can safely fight Homunculi if you are careful about waiting to get the first blows. They have few HP and lousy AC. With 4 blows, you can be quite confident of defeating (killing or frightening) them in a single turn.

zaimoni
April 4, 2008, 01:54
Why is this bad advice?A ghost worth casting Dispel Undead on (which the wall provides cover for even though otherwise it would be targeted as in Line of Sight), is probably capable of casting Nether Bolt from within the wall. (Or worse). If I could break Line of Fire in one move, I'd do that instead and prepare.

Dispel Undead also has really flaky damage; you can't really count on the spell version, compared to Orb Of Draining.

will_asher
April 4, 2008, 02:15
A ghost worth casting Dispel Undead on (which the wall provides cover for even though otherwise it would be targeted as in Line of Sight), is probably capable of casting Nether Bolt from within the wall. (Or worse). If I could break Line of Fire in one move, I'd do that instead and prepare.
oh I misunderstood because he said "ghost", I thought he meant "ghost" instead of "monster symbolized by the letter G."

Cardinal Rob
April 4, 2008, 02:21
Kobolds as a player character completely suck. They have bad strength and intelligence and therefore are bad at important skills such as fighting and magic. And they get a big bad experience penalty.

The only redeeming factor for a kobold is resist poison, which is really easy to find anyway.

You might as well just play as a human, you'll be better and have no exp penalty.

Gnomes also suck. Never play as a gnome.

Pete Mack
April 4, 2008, 03:06
Kobolds as a player character completely suck. They have bad strength and intelligence and therefore are bad at important skills such as fighting and magic. And they get a big bad experience penalty.

The only redeeming factor for a kobold is resist poison, which is really easy to find anyway.

This is exactly right. The reason I play them is exactly the same reason they are so rare on the ladder--it's a challenge race, like Gnome and Half-Orc.

If you want an easy race that advances fast, try Elf or Half-Elf.

Garrie
April 4, 2008, 04:45
This is exactly right. The reason I play them is exactly the same reason they are so rare on the ladder--it's a challenge race, like Gnome and Half-Orc.

If you want an easy race that advances fast, try Elf or Half-Elf.

Pete, I think you and I have different opinions of irony...
...The only redeeming factor for a kobold is resist poison, which is really easy to find anyway...

Gnomes also suck. Never play as a gnome.

darkdrone
April 5, 2008, 18:05
run around wilderness , especially plains, at night as a CL1 mage.

hit the arrow key blindly.

play at midnight when too sleepy.

play when angry at the world (this is Angband, not Quake with the cheats on!)

play mages as a newbie , after a frustrating day at work.

dont do a 'detect evil/monsters" scroll on entering a level.

even if u DID cast Detect spell, you CAN tell the type of monster JUST by looking at the ASCII!!

HallucinationMushroom
April 5, 2008, 20:13
Playing under the influence will help you be more immersed in the game which will lead you to making better decisions.

Djabanete
April 5, 2008, 22:17
Playing under the influence will help you be more immersed in the game which will lead you to making better decisions.

You have two days to write something on this thread about shovels. I expect to be amused.

EDIT: Thanks! That did it for me.

HallucinationMushroom
April 5, 2008, 23:12
The only things you need to beat the game can be found in the general store.

ekolis
April 6, 2008, 00:04
Mushrooms of hallucination are great ways to learn about enemy weaknesses. ("You cast a lightning bolt. The Dalek dies! Ah, it appears robots are vulnerable to electricity!")

Engraving "elbereth" on your sword will protect you from evil. (No! No! Not Nethack!)

An "artifact" is a relic from a bygone era and as such is completely useless; if you find any you should squelch them.

You need to be at least level 15 to cast "magic missile" or else Cthulhu will eat your soul! (Note: this might not be such bad advice in Steamband...)

Hounds come in many breeds representing various elements, but are mostly harmless - one of the more (relatively) dangerous breeds is the Basset Hound, which represents two elements, that of Gravity and Sound.

daft
April 7, 2008, 12:16
It is late at night and you are fighting sleep and fighting Saruman. Saruman is badly damaged and you've just shot your last seeker arrow, and all of your rods are still charging. Your mana is kaput. Saruman casts a fire ball and wipes out nearly all of your remaining hit points. You are thinking about reading a teleport scroll, so that you may recover safely, when you come up with a brilliant notion: Saruman is probably weary from the fight, just as you are, and he is bound to make a mistake, giving you the opportunity to go in for the kill. You advance toward Saruman, ready to take a swing at him with your sword. You forget that he 'cackled evilly' several rounds ago and you step onto his poisoned trap. Saruman teleports away. You stand there, at death's door, alone and poisoned, wondering how you could have made such a blunder.

K.I.L.E.R
April 7, 2008, 13:59
The only things you need to beat the game can be found in the general store.

I agree. I killed Morgoth with my starting weapon and no armor.

Lachre
April 12, 2008, 16:13
So far, I haven't had the misfortune of getting any terrible advice, but I've made enough stupid mistakes on my own to learn a few things. After going through probably two dozen mages (I'm determined to get past level 10 or 12 with a gnome mage) I can say that quaffing unID'd potions probably has more to do with class (or current hp) than anything else. I've been killed twice by quaffing what turned out to be poison. Other than that, being blinded or confused, etc never bothered me since I never quaffed unID'd potions around monsters.

Dragonboneman
April 12, 2008, 21:35
Wield Calris, then enchant it.

Melchizedek
April 12, 2008, 23:39
In the early levels, make sure you take out any other monster in the room BEFORE killing the lice or fleas. They're just bugs, don't worry about them.

Narvius
May 4, 2008, 08:58
Kill every unique you meet.

Dragonboneman
May 4, 2008, 09:14
... at first meeting.

Djabanete
May 4, 2008, 09:34
Man, I'm glad this thread got resurrected.

Secret method for making boots of speed:

Place boots on floor.
Place Ring of Speed on floor next to them.
Zap both with a wand of lightning balls, and say the magic words...

Narvius
May 4, 2008, 16:57
In the beginning, spend all your money on weapon enchantments. You don't need healing and stuff when the enemy has no time to attack you!

HallucinationMushroom
May 4, 2008, 19:58
If you're fighting a bunch of weaker monsters in a long corridor, just hold the arrow button down, letting the messages fly by, till they are all dead. It's very gratifying and totally safe.

Djabanete
May 4, 2008, 21:12
If you're fighting a bunch of weaker monsters in a long corridor, just hold the arrow button down, letting the messages fly by, till they are all dead. It's very gratifying and totally safe.

I used to do that all the time, until one day there was a Great Wyrm of Balance on the other side. :D

Patashu
May 5, 2008, 12:13
Don't bother looking at items on the ground before walking up to them. Death swords? What a ludicrous concept.

Pete Mack
October 14, 2008, 21:47
elemental wyrms have good drops and EXP for the amount of danger they represent, so you should generally go out of your way to melée them if you have the appropriate resistance. Great Storm Wyrms are particularly good targets since they can't damage your spellbooks or escape scrolls and staffs.

buzzkill
October 15, 2008, 02:44
I normally try to quaff potions with I'm very very slightly injured or poisoned, etc. You don't want to quaff a potion of poison when you're at 2 HP though.

or do you???

Personally like to save those scrolls of summoning for the deepest part of my dive. That way, I sure to get some good enemies to fight.

Also drop all means escape and healing, teleports, recall, potions, staffs. Keep only offensive items with you when entering battle. That why you won't have to worry about backpack space when gathering up the post-victry loot. (As an added bonus, if you should die, the monster that killed you won't know where to find your stuff, esp. if you drop it really far away.)

It's really to bad that you can't bury your gold, you know, to keep it safe.

Maybe I'm just not keen on your tougne and cheek houmor Big Al. But me's think'est you had best'st checketh thy thread title once again.

buzzkill
October 15, 2008, 02:49
You should continue to stay in the fight with a big melee'ing monster like a Great Wyrm as long as you're winning. You'll probably kill it next round, and in the unlikely event that you don't, there's basically no chance it'll hit with *all* of its melee attacks. Or something else will join the fray. After all, this is your last chance to kill a Great Wyrm - and you know it's carrying a tasty Ring of Speed (+18).

I'm really really really really guilty of this. On practically every dungeon level I visit.

Zikke
October 15, 2008, 07:58
Always remember that a unique monster's possible spell damage is always in-line with their race. Kavlax and Cantoras can breath/cast just as hard as a regular dragon/skeleton.

Furthermore, you can just assume what the monster is by looking at the letter representing it. If you start trying to target or [l]ook at it, the monster will know your hands are off the attack keys and go in for the kill!

Plus there's no chance that Shelob would be hiding in a group of spiders wearing her OWN color. That's just bad fashion.

buzzkill
October 15, 2008, 15:11
Shovels can double as weapons, and the damage they inflict can really add up after a awhile.

Speed and 'shrooms are for losers. My character doesn't use drugs.

Poison resist is useless. After all, poison usually wears off very quickly, and poison never killed anyone.

Focus on collecting gold rather than equipment. It weighs nothing!!!, and it's a little known fact that most uniques can be bribed by holding down the 'd' (donate) key.

Hariolor
October 20, 2008, 02:15
if you encounter a unique you've never seen before, hidden in a vault on a fairly low level, he's probably an easy kill that you've just missed in the past. This is particularly true if he's just a "p"

Donald Jonker
October 20, 2008, 02:29
Teleport to the secret graveyard level!
Macro F1 to the following: "Qy@" and press it!

Papayouki
October 20, 2008, 11:44
Never run, just keep your finger on the key. Only scums are crawling corridors, so you will bash them easily.

Dragonboneman
October 20, 2008, 14:12
Finding Ringil early means you're definitely going to win.

Pete Mack
November 5, 2009, 07:47
Save those wands of clone monster, then use them to farm Wyrms late in the game. Basic strategy: duke it out until the GWoChaos is down to one star, then clone it. This guarantees that you'll never take more than ~500 breath damage in any one turn.

Philip
November 5, 2009, 13:51
Save those wands of clone monster, then use them to farm Wyrms late in the game. Basic strategy: duke it out until the GWoChaos is down to one star, then clone it. This guarantees that you'll never take more than ~500 breath damage in any one turn.

Yep, that works well. And if you find a Morgul weapon, wield it. Near nothing has poison resist and you don't have to worry about undead.
If you kill Sauron but are afraid of M, go to dlvl 100 to find Bladeturner or the one and if you ever see a vault, tunnel with your normal weapon so you will be ready if something comes out. Heheheheheheheheheheh.

Lord Tom
November 5, 2009, 18:09
It's generally safe to assume that uniques within a race are only marginally more powerful than the nastiest non-unique. Hence, if you have resist poison and free action, and have successfully killed a greater basilisk, you're probably ready to take on the Tarrasque.

konijn_
November 5, 2009, 20:20
With good melee, you can safely fight Homunculi if you are careful about waiting to get the first blows. They have few HP and lousy AC. With 4 blows, you can be quite confident of defeating (killing or frightening) them in a single turn.

Yeah, a Homunculi cannever paralyze you with its first hit ;)

T.

cofresi
November 5, 2009, 23:21
If at the end of a corridor you spot a longsword 4d5 and there's a Drolem offscreen on the adjacent corridor in between, just jam the direction key and fetch ringil. After all, it's just a stupid construct and all that excessive keyboard output will dumbfound it. This is especially true if you lack rPois, as such an omission will only further confound the Drolem. And you can always come back and mow it down with that extra speed. Remember, speed is always sexier than rPois.

Bagplant
November 6, 2009, 02:51
You can totally finish killing that monster before your health runs out.

Heroes never back down from a fight, especially with a unique.

If you're fighting next to a graveyard and are getting overwhelmed by undead, just use phase door to get away.

If you've beaten green, blue, red, black and white Ds, then a multi-hued D should be no trouble.

Never use a healing potion better than CCW before fighting Morgoth, even if you get in a tough spot. You think those things grow on trees?

Teleport self is a great escape mechanism when clearing a vault, especially if you have previously scattered its inhabitants all over the level using teleport away.

AceRimmer
November 6, 2009, 04:08
Use your wand of teleport other to avoid insta-death. Remember! If the Tarrasque is beyond the range of your wand, then you are beyond the range of its breath.

Zikke
November 6, 2009, 04:34
Teleport self is a great escape mechanism when clearing a vault, especially if you have previously scattered its inhabitants all over the level using teleport away.

This one made me laugh and laugh and laugh :D

Tenka
November 6, 2009, 13:51
The less pots, scrolls, rods and staves you take into a dungeon the more loot you can carry out!

To play as a ninja, creep around in the dark and throw iron spikes at every monster.

Base your angbander on your favorite characters from manga or Hollywood etc..For eg; Guts from Berserk should have max str/con, the largest 2h sword possible and the most heavily cursed armor you can find.
Gandalf should have max charisma and cast no offensive spells at all, engage all enemies at melee range with a longsword. Be kind to all Scruffy hobbits you find.

A fast game is a good game.

buzzkill
November 6, 2009, 15:41
Gandalf should have max charisma and cast no offensive spells at all...

Only Gandalf himself believed that he had max CHA, Which makes me wonder if he's really deserving of the max INT that is so often attributed to him. Max EGO, certainly.

A Gandalf should rely on blind luck and pre-ordained destiny for victory. He could just wander about, charming hapless hobbits, setting dire events into motion, then retreating to his summer home until he feels the need to interfere in the lives of elves and men once again.

Philip
November 6, 2009, 16:41
Man, I'm glad this thread got resurrected.

Secret method for making boots of speed:

Place boots on floor.
Place Ring of Speed on floor next to them.
Zap both with a wand of lightning balls, and say the magic words...

Magic words ... Darndarnf***s***
:cool:

Tatami
November 6, 2009, 23:44
Level 38 gnome rogue?, fire resist? Lernean hydra? Consider the xp already yours. He rarely ever breaths, if at all.

Pete Mack
November 7, 2009, 10:01
Level 38 gnome rogue?, fire resist? Lernean hydra? Consider the xp already yours. He rarely ever breaths, if at all.

Extra points for irony and/or subtlety...

Nick
November 7, 2009, 10:33
If a nearly-dead Beholder has just cursed you for more than half your hitpoints, there's practically no chance it will curse again, and if it does, you're almost certain to pass the saving throw. Just keep slowly shooting it to death.

If you've just learnt a new ball spell, the best way to test it out is on a group of sleeping Phase Spiders; if you don't have poison resistance, that just makes it a proper test.

buzzkill
November 7, 2009, 18:27
An eye druj, what's an eye druj? It's just sitting there, staring at you. It's probably harmless. You better go take a closer look.

Magnate
November 7, 2009, 21:20
If a nearly-dead Beholder has just cursed you for more than half your hitpoints, there's practically no chance it will curse again, and if it does, you're almost certain to pass the saving throw. Just keep slowly shooting it to death.

If you've just learnt a new ball spell, the best way to test it out is on a group of sleeping Phase Spiders; if you don't have poison resistance, that just makes it a proper test.Speaking of newly-learned spells, if you get the message that says "You don't have enough mana to cast this spell. Try anyway [y/n]?", always say yes, because you always succeed the first time that happens.

Tenka
November 8, 2009, 11:40
Only Gandalf himself believed that he had max CHA, Which makes me wonder if he's really deserving of the max INT that is so often attributed to him. Max EGO, certainly.

A Gandalf should rely on blind luck and pre-ordained destiny for victory. He could just wander about, charming hapless hobbits, setting dire events into motion, then retreating to his summer home until he feels the need to interfere in the lives of elves and men once again.

Yeah....but that's kind of hard to play in 'Band.

Play as Frodo, start a Halfling tourist and equip Un ID'd rings....If you need to fight use scrolls of 'Summon kin'.

To play Rocky Balboa, start an unarmed, unarmoured fighter and allow each enemy to beat you down to 25% hp before you fight back. Allow all your money to be stolen by thieves and whatever is left should be spent on amulets of adornment.

ekolis
November 9, 2009, 00:00
Heh, this could be a new thread in and of itself... instead of "ironman" challenges, you could come up with new ones!

Like the "Mario" - you have to eat every mushroom you find at the first opportunity... bonus points if you start as a hobbit and get polymorphed into a half-troll, and double bonus points if you do so by eating a Red Spotted Mushroom :D

Or the "Bishop" - you have to move only diagonally... (the "Pope" challenge would involve only RUNNING diagonally, without taking single steps, I suppose?)

Or maybe the "Link" - don't use any weapons but swords, bows, and boomerangs, and use no magic except for "Direct Wind"... oh, wait, that spell is only in POWDER :P

Or the "Jesus"... you're not allowed to kill anything in the dungeon, except for fig trees, and you get points for wearing rings of feather falling and casting "Create Food"...

And game modes too...

"Super Saiyan" mode: your attacks do 100x more damage, but you can't fight anybody without aggravating all monsters on the level with an ear-splitting scream and then waiting 20 turns?

Or a "Megaman" mode, where before you fight Morgoth, on level 99 there are 8 vaults, each containing only one unique (ones you've killed already, no less) and no items; each vault has a different theme, too, depending on the elemental resistances of the enemy it contains!

"Metroid" mode - Morgoth is not necessarily at level 100; he might be at level minus 65, or maybe at level pi, or even at a level with an imaginary number; it's up to you to find out where he is, but once you find him, he's a pushover... but wait, that wasn't the REAL Morgoth! So you fight the REAL Morgoth and after a few turns you're down to one star of health, but then out of the blue a giant silver jelly wanders by and drains all of Morgoth's mana and uses it to replenish your health! So you beat the snot out of Morgoth, but WAIT AGAIN! *** EMERGENCY GLYPH ACTIVATED! DUNGEON SELF DESTRUCT IN 3:00 *** :P

Estie
November 9, 2009, 01:42
When you have gathered good equipment and feel ready for the final fight, dont take the downstairs immediately; instead, relish in your power and play around with the mere normal monsters in the dungeon for a while. With you able to handle the likes of Morgoth, nothing on level 98 can harm you and who knows you might still find some better items.

(dont know if this is new, but its excellent bad advice)

Joona
November 10, 2009, 12:46
When facing one of those annoying monsters that burn all your stuff away, like Vargo for example, drop all your staves, scrolls and books to the ground and back away around a corner to prepare for the fight.

( My poor poor word of recalls, teleports and lots of other stuff :( All I could do was watch them dissappear as Vargo crushed them under his feet... )

Mondkalb
November 10, 2009, 13:39
When facing one of those annoying monsters that burn all your stuff away, like Vargo for example, drop all your staves, scrolls and books to the ground and back away around a corner to prepare for the fight.

( My poor poor word of recalls, teleports and lots of other stuff :( All I could do was watch them dissappear as Vargo crushed them under his feet... )

Well, I must admit I did something similiar stupid once. I had digged a tunnel and dropped some staves around the corner to prevent them to be drained by one of the unique Balrogs. I didn't account for the breath attack to destroy the staves around the corner though. ^^

fizzix
November 10, 2009, 14:36
The lantern is the most important item at the beginning of the game. If the general store doesn't have one in stock, you should restart until it does.

The dungeon is hard, it's probably a good idea to kill some townspeople to gain some experience levels first.

You can tell a lot about a monster by its color. For example, pink monsters are usually pushovers.

Zikke
November 10, 2009, 16:04
I don't think the general store has lanterns any more; you may need to scum in the Black Market for a while.

fizzix
November 10, 2009, 16:59
I don't think the general store has lanterns any more; you may need to scum in the Black Market for a while.

that was kind of the point.

Zikke
November 10, 2009, 18:51
Touche then.

I just forgot which thread this was. Curse you, fatigue!

Zikke
November 10, 2009, 18:53
Respond to posts on these forums after getting literally 30 minutes of sleep the night before.

This is also the perfect amount of sleep required to keep your Angband character alive.

Nick
November 10, 2009, 20:51
Respond to posts on these forums after getting literally 30 minutes of sleep the night before.

This is also the perfect amount of sleep required to keep your Angband character alive.

Potions of Sleep will fix this problem.

Pete Mack
March 22, 2010, 07:26
[V] Blades of Chaos do the little-known Vorpal damage vs the Jabberwock. You have a very good chance of a critical lethal hit, so you can safely take them even with a weak character. The Resist chaos also protects you effectively vs his otherwise dangerous chaos breath.

From Jabberwocky:
One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back

jsv
March 22, 2010, 08:59
For example, pink monsters are usually pushovers.
Pink monsters *are* pushovers. Just don't try fighting them from a distance. Go for melee!.

Sirridan
March 22, 2010, 19:57
D's are easier than d's because they are bigger and therefore easier to hit.

PowerDiver
March 22, 2010, 20:44
One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back

From Jabberwocky:

Since Pete was kind of enough to quote just what I wanted, let me note here that I was let down by the recent Alice movie. There was neither a snicker-snack nor any galumphing with the head. The movie was quite enjoyable otherwise.

o-o
March 24, 2010, 03:12
Okay. There's a lot of lice in that room--but there's also a lot of loot. And lice can't do much damage. It's not like they could poison you or anything. And at any rate, if things get rough you should be able to cut your back to the door.

If you've got to grips with the lice that killed your predecessor, you can take on a room full of hounds. They're just dogs, after all.

Spoilers schmoilers. If you're finding this level easy, and nothing's happening, and you're finding that slaughtering the hounds that killed your predecessor is easy, what could possibly go wrong anothr 100 feet down without Hold Life?

...Life-draining might have done for your predecessor, but: "Spoilers Schmoilers!" I say. Poison can't do that much damage. Go down another couple of hundred feet.

You're resistant to pretty much everything, right? Poison's not going to kill you--like it did your predecessor. And your saving throw is awesome. "Spoilers Schmoilers!" I say. A little bit of confusion won't kill you, so don't bother with "Resist Confusion;" wear the helmet which increases your speed instead; that way you can dash quickly towards those Great Wyrms of Perplexity! It's not like they are any different to Ancient Bronze Dragons.

You may be starting out, but your predecessor was the sort who took out ancinet dragons. Orcs aren't a problem. There is, after all, no real difference between those snaga you've been nailing one by one and this room full of uruks.

That great vault may have a whole lot of characters you haven't seen before, but a black lich can't be much worse than the normal kind you've been facing.

Therem Harth
March 29, 2010, 19:56
Warriors are tough; they can just wade into the middle of a big combat and soak up damage whilst slicing everything around them to bits with their l33t Samurai swordsmanship.

Capital Ds are no more dangerous in groups than alone; dragons, after all, are very big on honor, and like to attack one at a time.

It's okay to take on Sauron when you're slower than he is, because he never mana storms twice in a row.

A really lucky character will refuse to die nine times out of ten. Hey, if it works in Exile it works in Angband.

If you see a harmless looking black orb, don't bother shooting arrows at it; just step right up and blast it with magic. (You ToMErs know what I'm talking about.)

dhegler
March 29, 2010, 22:02
Free Action? Resist Confusion? Monsters can't do damage simply by paralyzing you or confusing you. Be sure to have 4 items with rFire instead!

Mace of Disruption? They are only useful items to priests! Warriors prefer sharp weapons!

Never buy Word of Recall scrolls! The stores rip you off! You can find them for free in the dungeon!!!

(Random ToME hint) Wield that Phial before identifying it. Everyone knows it will be the Phial of Galadriel!

Sirridan
March 29, 2010, 22:25
Just go for it, a 1 in 5 chance of death is pretty good odds.

o-o
March 30, 2010, 04:53
No matter how late it is, you can always do another level.

Pete Mack
March 30, 2010, 10:44
Once you have free action, there aren't any really dangerous monsters between 1000' and 1350' so you should start doing stat gain around 1250' until you feel like you can kill everything with ease.

ekolis
March 30, 2010, 20:39
Shouting "Magic MISSILE!" when typing "maa" maxes your damage dice, and greatly improves your chances of getting a beam.

Likewise, pounding the arrow keys with your middle finger as hard as you can increases weapon accuracy, and improves the chance of a critical hit. (I still fall into this habit myself! :P)

Magic missiles are the best spell to cast throughout the game - they do decent damage, and only cost 1 mana, so you can cast 'em practically forever! Those other spells like "fire bolt" - look at the mana you'll waste, and the damage isn't all that much better! Not to mention monsters can resist fire...

Somewhere, deep in the dungeon, there is a mystic tome, the legendary "Fifth Mage Book", the "Book of Black Magick", which teaches mighty elemental spells no denizen of Angband can resist... this book contains the secret spells FIRAGA, BLIZZAGA, THUNDAGA, METEOR, QUAKE, and BIO.

Priests, don't get jealous... there's also a Book of Summonings which lets you summon chocobos, ifrits, and even several Hindu deities! ;)

dhegler
March 31, 2010, 14:15
Just go for it, a 1 in 5 chance of death is pretty good odds.

Unfortunately, I do think this from time to time....

buzzkill
March 31, 2010, 15:15
Unfortunately, I do think this from time to time....

Nothing wrong with that. That's a base 80% chance of success. Add to that your 'lucky feeling', your desire to succeed, and the fact that you've had such bad luck in the past. All that certainly pushes your chances for success, or at the very least survival, well into the high 90% range. It's a no-brainier. In the end, the reward will certainly be worth the risk. You will probably be granted the exact item you were seeking. I can't tell you how many times I've acquired boots of speed following this advice.

Nick
March 31, 2010, 21:49
Nothing wrong with that. That's a base 80% chance of success. Add to that your 'lucky feeling', your desire to succeed, and the fact that you've had such bad luck in the past. All that certainly pushes your chances for success, or at the very least survival, well into the high 90% range. It's a no-brainier. In the end, the reward will certainly be worth the risk. You will probably be granted the exact item you were seeking. I can't tell you how many times I've acquired boots of speed following this advice.

In fact, use The Secret (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_%282006_film%29) to guide your decisions.

o-o
April 1, 2010, 05:14

1 in 5, you say? With practice these odds change, so keep taking these 1 in 5 chances and you'll get there in the end.

o-o
April 1, 2010, 05:15
Eating's cheating. If you're hungry, keep on going.

ewert
April 1, 2010, 08:49
Wearing heavy armor increases the damage from the "engulfed in a whirlpool", because you can't swim that well in heavy armor. So if you find yourself fighting something that casts that spell on you, quickly start taking off your armor so the next time it casts that you take less damage.

Tobias
April 1, 2010, 12:30
When you are at stat gain you can't use Fire/Ice Ball to get those orks off of your !Augment.
But luckily Raal's shows up in the BM around now. So you have 6 new spells to blast them without endangering your Potions.

Nemesis
April 5, 2010, 03:15
If you equip a weapon and it feels "deathly cold" it means it's branded with frost! All monsters not immune to cold takes double damage! :cool:

If your @ is female, you get to see her without armour if you finish the game with low enough turncount! :eek:

ekolis
April 5, 2010, 17:00
Hehe...

Metroid: the Roguelike... (yes, I know there was already one, thanks Slash!)

t

Take off what?
a) varia suit [40, +6] {resist fire}
b) scan visor [5, +1] {+1 to ESP vs. space pirates}
c) spazer beam (+10, +3) {confusion brand}
d) missile launcher (+1, +8) {explosive}

a

You can't do that here! There are geeks watching!

:D

Nemesis
April 7, 2010, 00:02
The Bronze Dragon Skull of Madness is an artifact headgear that's very, very rare but easy to recognize. Like Phial of Galadriel it's just a "Bronze Dragon Skull" before being identified. It can be activated for Aquirement and has a really quick recharge time, meaning that you'll be able to get all the other artifacts as soon as you find it! However, it also makes you blind and confused while wearing it and is heavily cursed.

As the benefits from the BDSKM are so great, don't bother uncursing it before putting it on! You can always read your *Remove Curse* scroll later. :)

Therem Harth
April 7, 2010, 00:49
There's no problem taking on Ancalagon with only basic resists. High resists are for wimps!

Nemesis
April 7, 2010, 02:02
Remember: Colbrans are those birds that go down rather easy, but stay away from Crebains, those "lightning golems" hurt when you first encounter them!

There's no problem taking on Ancalagon with only basic resists. High resists are for wimps!Did you mean double resists (high resists are chaos, nexus, shards and the like, and when I checked Ancalagon's attacks he didn't seem to have any of those)?

cofresi
April 7, 2010, 03:18
Warrior's are the ultimate fighting machine and can easily trade blows vs. Deathmolds with impunity. Go ahead, show that squishy mold who's boss, heh heh ...

Derakon
April 7, 2010, 05:58
Ancalagon breathes poison, and in some variants (ToME being a notable one) he has several other nasty breaths.

Therem Harth
April 7, 2010, 15:10
You're right though, looking back through my logs it seems most of the stuff he breathes in ToME is unresistable. (Force, disintegration, etc.) And he decided to breath all of it on me. :(

Anyway, suffice to say that it was a really bright idea to fight him in one of the giant vaults in Erebor, with nowhere to dig a corridor and wide open spaces where he could summon more dragons...

Therem Harth
April 7, 2010, 21:31
And on a related note, dragons absolutely won't breath on you if you're standing right next to them. I promise.

Zikke
April 7, 2010, 23:06
And on a related note, dragons absolutely won't breath on you if you're standing right next to them. I promise.

Or if they're running in fear. You might as well just follow them and melee them for that last blow.

Nick
April 7, 2010, 23:52

And because they breathe proportional to their HP, you want to reduce their HP as fast as possible, which means melee - especially in variants with cone-shaped breaths.

Therem Harth
April 12, 2010, 19:22
Warrior's are the ultimate fighting machine and can easily trade blows vs. Deathmolds with impunity. Go ahead, show that squishy mold who's boss, heh heh ...

Hrus too. No stupid old stone giant can stand agains the might of Ringil!:p

Zikke
April 12, 2010, 21:48
The yellow-colored "P" monsters are yellow because they are cowardly and will not attack you. And that also means they have no friends.

Sirridan
April 12, 2010, 22:13
That sleeping hummerhorn can't breed if it doesn't have a mate, so it's safe to ignore it and grab that scroll in the room with it without taking it out first.

Nemesis
April 19, 2010, 06:00
If you're in a room full of monsters that could kill you in a single turn, reading a Scroll of *Destruction* will save you. Sure, you'll get blinded, but you will never again have to see the hideous creatures in the room! If you don't happen to have a Scroll of *Destruction*, a Scroll of Darkness is a great substitute with identical effect: You'll go blind, but you'll never again see the deadly monsters in the room!

Sirridan
April 19, 2010, 06:20
You don't need free action late in the game because by then you'll have plenty of money.

Nemesis
April 19, 2010, 07:31
When up against a summoner, many players dig so-called "anti-summoner corridors", but that is actually a very bad idea. You can seldom hide in those corriodors - the summoned monsters will come after you! And then you're stuck in a cramped, dead end and there'll be nowhere to run!

Instead, you can read scrolls of Summon Monster or Summon Undead yourself, those scrolls are lying all over the dungeon floor. However, if you've killed innocent people on the town level, there's a risk that your summons will be hostile to you (this was added into the game to discourage players from cruelty against innocents). However, if your summons turn out hostile, just try again, sooner or later they'll be on your side!

nullfame
July 28, 2010, 14:57
If you find ammo of slay giant, don't use it! Save those for Morgoth. 5-6 stacks worth should do the trick. Capital P, right?

UniqueName
September 6, 2010, 05:40
Kill everything you see especially jelly, undead and demon pits. Gelatinous cubes have one of the best drops in the game.

Clear every level because if you ever need to run up it will be empty.

Sacrifice everything for speed because +45 speed is better than +44 speed.
As a corollary 18/300 str is better than 18/290 str.

ESP lets monsters see you and chase you and makes you unable to rest. This is worse than the One Ring which only let's Sauron, Ringwraiths and High Elves see you.

ESP detects everything so you don't need to.

Don't use destruction because it destroys all the monsters and non-artifacts and messes up the dungeon. It can even blind you.

Use a staff of destruction instead of scroll of destruction so you don't waste your stack of scrolls.

Don't use banishment because then you won't be able to kill it.

Don't use teleport other because you'll have to go find it to kill it. See advice about killing everything.

It's ok to read scrolls of *acquirement* at home.

Armor and weapons can be enchanted to +15.

Wands of annihilation are useless because they don't hurt undead, demons, elementals, golems, and vortexes.
As a corollary Wands of dragon's breath are really good because they're like a box of chocolates and have a chance to hurt almost everything.

Read *Remove Curse* before you wield Calris.

Grand master mystics can only do 95 points of damage max compared to Kronos at 576.

Kill every Q, e, E and Z you see because they either have great drops, never chase after you or always chase after you.

Bard kills Smaug in one shot.

Timo Pietilä
September 6, 2010, 11:03
Pete, I think you and I have different opinions of irony...

Looks to me that you two have exactly same opinion of irony...

Continuing this:

Never play Dwarf or Half-Troll warriors, they have bad intelligence and suck at devices, so they make really lousy warriors.

PowerDiver
September 6, 2010, 20:10
Looks to me that you two have exactly same opinion of irony...

Continuing this:

Never play Dwarf or Half-Troll warriors, they have bad intelligence and suck at devices, so they make really lousy warriors.

Part of that may belong in a good advice thread.

Lack of ability to activate rods of teleport other reliably is a serious drawback to half-troll warriors. Perhaps the most serious drawback.

Pete Mack
September 6, 2010, 20:20
Eddie, YHBT.
Timo, I agree. Dwarf is particularly bad, because they only get 1/2 extra HP per character level, and the bad DEX is crippling in the late game. Their saving throw is dangerously low, too.

Sirridan
September 6, 2010, 21:39
Eddie, YHBT.
Timo, I agree. Dwarf is particularly bad, because they only get 1/2 extra HP per character level, and the bad DEX is crippling in the late game. Their saving throw is dangerously low, too.

Not to mention Dwarves are short, making it quite easy for monsters to step on you. I got a dwarf warrior to dlvl 30 and got stepped on by a Hill Giant.

PowerDiver
September 6, 2010, 21:58
Eddie, YHBT.

No, seriously, half-trolls make poor warriors. That particular advice was accurate and does not belong in this thread. The str and con and hp do not make up for lack of device skill. They make good rogues or rangers since those classes have sufficient device skills.

Pete Mack
September 6, 2010, 22:11
No, seriously, half-trolls make poor warriors. That particular advice was accurate and does not belong in this thread. The str and con and hp do not make up for lack of device skill. They make good rogues or rangers since those classes have sufficient device skills.

True enough. (They are pretty good Paladins and not too bad as priests, either.)

Nevertheless, Timo did a great job of delivering diabolically bad advice:
true AND false = false

Timo Pietilä
September 6, 2010, 22:13

I'm having hard time choosing are you giving good advice or bad advice here....well, at least it is partially what this thread is about.

PowerDiver
September 6, 2010, 22:57
My intent is sincere. I find dwarf warriors great, and half-troll warriors suck. There is some threshold half-troll warriors pass that it just too much until they get their INT way up. OTOH half-trolls make the best rogues and rangers.

So, IMO, your point about dwarves ought to have been in this thread, but your point about half-trolls belongs in a *good* advice thread. Obviously, opinions vary.

Timo Pietilä
September 7, 2010, 00:32
My intent is sincere. I find dwarf warriors great, and half-troll warriors suck. There is some threshold half-troll warriors pass that it just too much until they get their INT way up. OTOH half-trolls make the best rogues and rangers.

So, IMO, your point about dwarves ought to have been in this thread, but your point about half-trolls belongs in a *good* advice thread. Obviously, opinions vary.

Must be diving thing then. I find H-Troll warriors one of the easiest class to play. The sheer power and HP they have makes life very easy. I do not rely on non-failproof equipment much anyway, so failure at TO rod isn't that big issue to me.

Rogues use stealth. H-Troll has worst stealth of them all, so I find them pretty bad rogues. Of course sometimes opposite advantages is better than similar advantages. That is why I liked spectre warriors in ...whatwasit...variant with mindcrafters and vampires (another good combo). Gumband?

PowerDiver
September 7, 2010, 00:43
Rogues use stealth. H-Troll has worst stealth of them all, so I find them pretty bad rogues. Of course sometimes opposite advantages is better than similar advantages. That is why I liked spectre warriors in ...whatwasit...variant with mindcrafters and vampires (another good combo). Gumband?

I think I disagree with most people on matching race to benefits. Rogues get a dex boost, so it makes the most sense to me to play a *low* dex class when playing a rogue. If your half-trolls are dying due to low stealth, better to play a high-stealth class. Etc.

[edit] My apologies. This kind of discussion does not belong in this thread. Forgive me for starting it.

buzzkill
September 7, 2010, 01:54
I think this thread has finally been revealed in it's true form. The very best advice available, disguised quite cleverly as a bad advice thread. Thanks a lot guys :(.

Adley
September 29, 2010, 22:32
for those, who, like me, sometimes play in the countryside : it's perfectly safe to play while there's a storm outside on a non-laptop.

grumbleguts
October 3, 2010, 15:47
When fighting an opponent who does exactly the same amount of damage per round that you can recover with a potion of Cure Serious Wounds, it is a great idea to melee until you have two hitpoints and then quaff get hit quaff get hit quaff get hit etc until you run out of potions. this way you live longer then if you didn't have the potions to begin with.

nppangband
October 3, 2010, 17:24
If you see un-ided longsword (4d5) laying on the floor, avoid it at all costs. It is a mimic.

Sirridan
October 3, 2010, 19:07
If you attack drolems, their poison breath doesn't do as much so it's a safe thing to do.

chris
October 3, 2010, 19:36
Never never make a back up of your character's savefile. The game never crashes when manticores fire missiles!

Adley
October 3, 2010, 19:53
getting more than +7 speed is actually causing an integer overflow that puts you at -n speed, where n is yourspeed-7

Adley
October 4, 2010, 03:52
Don't bother trying to find traps : the level with a huge vault full of goodies certainly hasn't any trapdoor.

Pete Mack
October 5, 2010, 08:38
There's a little-known exploit, that boots with +speed also give RFire, in a nod to Jack B. Nimble (with +speed boots, you can safely jump over the candlestick).

This means that high-level characters can get by with only 3 out 4 RBase. (If you have well over 800 HP, you can do without RAcid, too, since Acid damage is cut in half by useful armor, but genuinely I don't recommend doing this.)

Adley
October 5, 2010, 16:15
The best thing for anyone is drugs... i meant, drujs :)

ekolis
October 7, 2010, 16:32
If you have over 18/100 DEX, or +15 speed, you don't need to worry about trap doors, because characters with sufficient DEX or speed don't fall through trap doors immediately; they have a turn to jump off of them before they take effect. (Side note: Wile E. Coyote does have 18/100 natural DEX, but he insists on wearing his Cursed Acme Ring of +i^2 to Dexterity and -9 to Comprehension of Imaginary Numbers... that's why he seems to ALMOST make it; his DEX is just a bit short of the mark!)

Thraalbeast
October 8, 2010, 19:51
You must have noticed by now that people are afraid of the Tarrasque. And that many actually die versus the beast. What you might have missed is that the players having this problem are the one's with a cowardly play style

Listen closely while I give away a well kept secret - and this may be the most important tip in the game - the more afraid you are of the Tarrasque, the more dangerous it is!

The first time you meet the Tarrasque it will probably be dozing off or moving slowly hardly bothering to attack you. And that's even if you start bashing it. However if you flee even a few steps, it will be upset and far more deadly. Getting away by ?teleport might feel like a good idea at the time if you believed in all the rumours, but the next time you come close it will just be more awake and more deadly. Flee again and you can more or less say goodby to your character.

People managing to avoid the Tarrasque all the way down to dl99 or dl100 may see most of the game but they will never win. At that point you are guaranteed that the Tarrasque will be teleported in to the fight by your foe and then it will breathe and breathe and breathe.

So, whenever you see the allegedly lethal Tarrasque, go for it! Basic resists and a bunch of !ccw or a few !healing will do just fine. Unless you go the cowardly route of course.

/Bugblatter

Adley
October 8, 2010, 20:18
Alternatively, you can use the second use of spikes, which is jamming uniques. What is more glorious than a pot of Tarasque Jelly?

will_asher
October 9, 2010, 05:34
Alternatively, you can use the second use of spikes, which is jamming uniques. What is more glorious than a pot of Tarasque Jelly?

I just HAVE to implement this in my variant in some form now...

buzzkill
October 9, 2010, 15:51
Finally, a use for empty bottles.

Tarasque Jelly: Normally provides nourishment for about 500 turns. Prolonged use may cause significant loss of HP, irreversible poisoning or dry mouth. May cause instant death.

Adley
October 9, 2010, 16:11
I would more see :
A pot of tarasque jelly. It makes you immune to everything for 1d100 turns. It also makes you confused and hallucinating for the same period.

Adley
October 10, 2010, 17:45
Hitpoint warning option is useless. Set it to 0 so you won't be bothered.
Hitpoint warning option is EXTREMELY useful. Set it to 11 so you are always ready.

Chud
October 15, 2010, 01:27
From my most recent game...

It's not really necessary to pay attention to what item has what benefit tied to it! It'll all work out!

("Oh look - Medusa. She likes to cast lots of fire bolts; this area is well-detected, so I can do without telepathy for this fight -- let me just switch out my Axe of Gondolin for Firestar and it's fire immunity! Whee! Wait - what? Oh, that axe happened to be my only source of Free Action as well? Um, oops...")

Tiburon Silverflame
October 15, 2010, 22:13
Ohh man....good one there. Bet a lot of us have been caught...and more than once...by that one...

Pete Mack
October 16, 2010, 09:33
On that note... Free Action isn't important in Quickband. Since there are only 3 (out of 11) levels with a significant threat of paralysis, it's quite possible to go the entire game without Free Action.

D'oh!N:569:Saruman of Many Colours
G:A:v
I:120:40d100:100:100:0
W:60:1:350:35000
B:HIT:PARALYZE:4d4
B:HIT:LOSE_STR:4d4
B:HIT:UN_POWER:4d4
B:HIT:COLD:4d4

Starhawk
October 26, 2010, 19:48
Kill everything you see especially jelly, undead and demon pits. Gelatinous cubes have one of the best drops in the game.

I just had a gelatinous cube drop a randart, and thought of this thread....

Adley
October 27, 2010, 14:35
Gelatinous cube are actually worth hunting down, they drop alot...

Tiburon Silverflame
October 29, 2010, 00:03
Summoners are great! Man, look at all the XP and nice item drops Gabriel just provided by summoning all those angels!

(with thanks to Timo for inspiring this one...)

hugorune
October 29, 2010, 20:45
If you encounter a monster you haven't fought before, don't worry. The game is inherently fair and will never generate a monster on your level that you don't have the resources at hand to safely defeat.

Chud
October 31, 2010, 05:25
Hey the character I'm currently playing just survived getting down to 4 HP before killing that last troll! And once before, he was down to 1 HP before sucessfully escaping to heal! You should use this exact style of play---you have to take risks to reach for the gold, right?

UglySquirrell
October 18, 2011, 19:21
After killling Sauron, but before going down the stairs to level 100. Make sure you eat until youre gorged, its going to be a long fight against Morgoth and you'll Need the energy.

dos350
October 19, 2011, 05:00
if u cant see it, dw 4 it!

artes
October 19, 2011, 13:53
If you play a half-troll warrior in some odd variant with lots of weird monsters, like Chengband, and find the biggest vault you have ever seen, and inside it you meet someone you have never even heard of before, like a Lord of Change, just go ahead and attack him in melee. He'll most likely go down in a few turns just like everyone else.

artes
October 19, 2011, 14:12
The spell Teleport Other is very useful. E.g. if you want to go to another floor, but you can see with your detection spell that the corridor to the stairs is blocked by some dangerous monster like The Tarrasque, just go there and teleport it away and you can safely reach your destination.

UglySquirrell
October 19, 2011, 15:37
If you play a half-troll warrior in some odd variant with lots of weird monsters, like Chengband, and find the biggest vault you have ever seen, and inside it you meet someone you have never even heard of before, like a Lord of Change, just go ahead and attack him in melee. He'll most likely go down in a few turns just like everyone else.

Lol, these guys were insane in heng/entro, kind of a superfast, insane, great wyrm of chaos bird. Had one as my beastmasters mount for a while
X )

artes
October 19, 2011, 19:44
Lol, these guys were insane in heng/entro, kind of a superfast, insane, great wyrm of chaos bird. Had one as my beastmasters mount for a while
X )
No, they are not dangerous at all. Especially if you have either an item with resist confusion or a staff of teleportation in your backpack or in your house. If you have both, it is sufficient if they both are in your house.

artes
October 19, 2011, 19:47
A small white or light-grey 's' is a harmless skeleton, so it's a waste of time to look at it before attacking it.

artes
October 19, 2011, 19:51
The spell Rift can be used to take care of dangerous hounds like Time, Gravity or Aether hounds. If there is a row of them in a corridor, just step into the corridor and cast Rift on them. They'll be teleported all over the map and you can take them one at a time. For extra safety you can haste yourself before you step into the corridor.

GeoffHill
October 23, 2011, 13:41
If you see a pit full of monsters, teleport into the middle so you have more room to fight them all*

*this might actually be good advice for a high enough level dispell-priest.

fph
October 24, 2011, 19:56
Don't know if someone already mentioned it in the past 15 pages, but...

Like most games, Angband is more fun if played when drunk.