PDA

View Full Version : How many angbanders are out there?

Malak Darkhunter
April 13, 2008, 08:33
I go way back to 1988 with moria, then found angband again. In my opinion this is the greatest game ever made.:D So I'm kinda curious how many players are out there in the world?

takkaria
April 13, 2008, 10:54
I go way back to 1988 with moria, then found angband again. In my opinion this is the greatest game ever made.:D So I'm kinda curious how many players are out there in the world?

At least a thousand, I would guess. This forum has 500 members, though some of those are likely to be spammers. The Angband comic gets 200-300 readers. I'm pretty sure there's a significant silent population of players, so extrapolating wildly and making things up, 1000 seems like it might not be an unreasonable figure.

Bandobras
April 13, 2008, 15:35
I suspect there numerous categories and subcategories of silent players, e.g. not even at the very bottom are players that are silent because they don't understand English a bit. Yet another category is people without any Internet access. Then players on multi-user systems, e.g. on academic networks, that didn't even ever install Angband and may think this is just a standard quirky part of the quirky operating system. Then there are avid players that currently happen to have a 15 years break, soon to end.

What about download counts? E.g. Un alone has around 1000 downloads from the primary site alone on some versions. I don't know how to count the downloads from various sites that host binaries e.g. to display advertisements.

Garrie
April 24, 2008, 10:20
At least a thousand, I would guess. This forum has 500 members, though some of those are likely to be spammers.
Not only does it have 500 members, just look how many visit today: for 24 April it's more than a screen and a half... a lot of forum have heaps of members who post once and you never hear from them again...

http://angband.oook.cz/forum/memberlist.php?do=getall&pp=30&order=desc&sort=lastvisit

smithfield
April 25, 2008, 14:23
There are 12 of us.

7 are known.

4 have just been revealed.

And 1 is working on the next update.

Remuz
April 25, 2008, 16:34
Currently Active Users: 36 (3 members and 33 guests)

I am always impressed by these numbers. Ok, Angband is the best game ever (I am counting variants, here). Ok, it is then totally normal that many people lurk on this forum.

But still. :)

Big Al
April 25, 2008, 19:34
You know that most of those lurkers are just search engine spiders, and not actual people... see http://angband.oook.cz/forum/online.php.

Remuz
April 25, 2008, 20:19
*cries* :(

Bandobras
April 25, 2008, 22:27
Who says spiders can't play Angband?

Atarlost
April 26, 2008, 02:40
Yes, we must incorporate web search functionality into the Borg!

Or not.

will_asher
April 26, 2008, 05:10
What is a search engine spider? Does it just find sites for the search engine so that other people can use the search engine to find them?

takkaria
April 26, 2008, 18:49
What is a search engine spider? Does it just find sites for the search engine so that other people can use the search engine to find them?

Yup, you got it.

David Dark
May 7, 2008, 08:39
hiho,

count me in :D just started my adventures in Angband :D

Jude
May 14, 2008, 18:48
Best game ever made huh? I dunno if I'd go that far, but there's no question it's in my top 5 (the fifth of which is left undecided because I can't really choose...the others are Master of Orion, Morrowind and Rollercoaster Tycoon.)

And in terms of cumulative hours spent, it's got to be my most played game by a long shot.

Garrie
May 30, 2008, 13:59
And in terms of cumulative hours spent, it's got to be my most played game by a long shot.

Gotta say that any *Band sucks up way more time than civ, or any other world sim, can get away with. Unless you're into flight sims I guess.:confused:

Seany C
May 30, 2008, 14:19
Championship Manager (football/"soccer" manager sim)and its offspring took up several years of my life in the first half of this decade. :) I even stopped 'banding for a couple of years, it was that bad...

(mind you, getting Sheffield Wednesday to the Champions League was worth it)

Psi
May 30, 2008, 16:56
Championship Manager (football/"soccer" manager sim)and its offspring took up several years of my life in the first half of this decade. :)
Snap! I even went out for beers with the CM dev team (Sports Interactive) after one of the CM3 releases... :)

I can actually run CM93/94 on a port of Dosbox on my PDA, though I don't think I've loaded it since I ported FAangband across...

aeneas
August 27, 2008, 05:53
At least a thousand, I would guess. This forum has 500 members, though some of those are likely to be spammers. The Angband comic gets 200-300 readers. I'm pretty sure there's a significant silent population of players, so extrapolating wildly and making things up, 1000 seems like it might not be an unreasonable figure.

I think that's a pretty low estimate (as you indicate when you say "at least"). I've run into a fair number of people who have spent enough time playing Angband to have a reasonable idea of how the game works- I don't know how you define Angbander, and how much it matters if they currently play. But I would be surprised if there weren't a lot more than 1000. I travel in some geeky circles, but I would think it surprising if I'd met 1-2% of the Angbanders in the world. Setting the number at 1000, I would have, depending on your definition. I can't say I've ever met anyone as into it as me though.

Zikke
August 27, 2008, 05:56
There's an Angband comic? O_o

ekolis
August 27, 2008, 22:59
Yeah, there have actually been several, the most recent being here: http://angband.calamarain.net :)

Big Al
August 28, 2008, 08:21
Penance is also very good (though updated very slowly these days).

http://www.penancecomic.com/

Mars
August 28, 2008, 12:32
'On hold' may be a better way to put it.. it's been three months since the last comic, and the one before that one month earlier. :(

starstealer
December 4, 2008, 17:45
I've been playing rogue-like games since I was probably 10 or even younger - not sure exactly. So - I'm probably pushing 20 years of playing.

As for the number of players - I can count about 40 among people whom either introduced me to the game or that I introduced to the game.

Karzack
January 8, 2009, 02:48
I've been playing rogue-likes for about 10 years. I don't know anyone, around my area (Nebraska), that plays them. This would be in my circle of people that I come in contact with.

I have shown friends and they look at me like I'm crazy for playing games with "those kind of graphics".

I just looked at the last time I logged in. Heh, February 11, 2008. I usually come on here every few days and read some of the latest posts without ever posting myself. I guess I need to quit lurking so much. :)

While I'm posting...keep up the good work all of you maintainers of the *bands. These are truly some of the best games I have ever played.