PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Fortress!

Svladd Cjelik
May 15, 2008, 08:00
I cannot get enough of this game! I have not touched *band since I started playing it.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Spread the word and enjoy!

Djabanete
May 15, 2008, 08:25
I have not touched *band since I started playing it.

GTFO

No, just kidding :)
I did try DF once, but I've never been really captivated by "sandbox" type games so eventually I got tired of it. But it seems to be an excellent game for those who like that sort of thing.

David Dark
May 15, 2008, 15:57
yup I started to play DF few days ago, f*in awsome, can't stop playing :D

Narvius
May 15, 2008, 19:00
It's absolutely brilliant, yes, but it's not really a roguelike, so it doesn't replace my precious Angband. Parallel play: if I'm tired of one, I play the other.

andrewdoull
May 16, 2008, 07:36
It's absolutely brilliant, yes, but it's not really a roguelike, so it doesn't replace my precious Angband. Parallel play: if I'm tired of one, I play the other.

If I tire of Angband, I've tired of life...

Jude
May 16, 2008, 14:41
I will be checking that out on my next break from work, which is supposed to start right now...

Jude
May 18, 2008, 06:29
OK holy crap

The learning curve is ridiculously steep but OMG

I think my life is going to be destroyed by this game's addictiveness.
Right now, I just tried to build an underground aqueduct to bring drinking/irrigating water into my base, but I put one floodgate in the wrong spot and the entire channel flooded...so now I won't have control over how much water to let in, so I had to seal off the entire cistern. However I'm still figuring out a way to tap into it again.
The first caravan was a ripoff though - they barely had anything I needed, and because of weight restrictions they wouldn't buy any of my stuff (granted, most of it was stone mechanisms and stuff)

Svladd Cjelik
May 20, 2008, 06:24
Lol, yeah. I love that in this game you make your own problems to solve! (just now getting the hang of flood gates).

If any of you are interested or having trouble, check the wiki. Awesome rescource.

will_asher
May 20, 2008, 17:57
I just thought I'd try out this game. I have nothing against bad graphics, but if you do have bad graphics, you should not have a long graphical introduction. Then I pressed create world and sat there about five minutes watching it before I quit the program. How can a game be addictive when you have to sit there doing nothing but watching it create the world for over five minutes at the beginning of every game?

Jude
May 20, 2008, 19:40
I just thought I'd try out this game. I have nothing against bad graphics, but if you do have bad graphics, you should not have a long graphical introduction. Then I pressed create world and sat there about five minutes watching it before I quit the program. How can a game be addictive when you have to sit there doing nothing but watching it create the world for over five minutes at the beginning of every game?

5 minutes is not that long to wait for the countless hours of fun that each world you generate will give you

I figured out a way to solve my water problem - the water was flowing in really, really slow (it was winter and the river froze) so I had my dwarves dig another room and then channel down from the room above it to make a well of sorts. I also had to do a ton of construction to save the original top room from getting flooded, but I managed it. Now I have all the water stopped off and when I need some, I'll let a certain amount into my new well by opening then shutting the gate. I love that this game lets you do stuff like that.

Still figuring out lots of basics though, such as, how the hell can I make an animal pen that my livestock will stay in? Right now they've all just flocked to my meeting room and they're running around there breeding like crazy. I did slaughter a bunch of them (including puppies) for meat, but I want to keep SOME.

Matthias
May 20, 2008, 21:20
IIRC you only have to wait those five minutes before your first game. Basicly what it does is create a huge worldmap, before selecting a very small part of it for your game. The selected part depends on your game settings, so if you want warm with lot of wild animals, it will find a good spot on the world map.

Blackened
May 20, 2008, 21:27
Reading this, I am really tempted to finally try that game myself. Pity it seems to lack a native Linux port, somehow it does not feel right to play in wine.

pav
May 20, 2008, 23:21
Even worse, no Wine exists for FreeBSD/amd64 so I'm locked out. Damn closed source.

Svladd Cjelik
May 21, 2008, 01:55
I am certain that I read a Linux version is high on the priority list. Should not be long at all mate, Toady is dedicated to his project and it has been well maintained to date.

Narvius
May 21, 2008, 06:48
Well, you can't blame someone for wanting to protect their own work... ^.^

Yes, the world is generated only once* - and if you don't like waiting these 5 minutes, then you can download a pre-made world straight from the maker's site.

* Unless you decide you want a new one, of course.

Bandobras
May 21, 2008, 10:43

How is pav going to harm his work actually?

Narvius
May 21, 2008, 15:26
Pav wouldn't, but there are a lot of mean, intelligent people out there.

pav
May 21, 2008, 17:33
Not sure the Linux version would cut it for me, well let's hope so.

That was one of the attractions of Angband for me - that it can be build and played on obscure UNIXes like the one that's powering this very server (and all my other 'puters).

Bandobras
May 21, 2008, 19:44
Pav wouldn't, but there are a lot of mean, intelligent people out there.

Don't you really get it? The worst thing that mean people can do to his work is to steal/erase his computer's drive _and_ his backup _and_ the old version he keeps at his aunt's. Then the source code of Dwarf Fortress will be lost forever. How is the author actually protecting his work against that by not releasing source code? What I'm really biting you about is your choice of words, but if you don't get it, it can be more than words...

Narvius
May 21, 2008, 22:36
Well, if there are only and absolutely good things about releasing the source they would've done it. I've never published anything myself, I don't know. But for sure have some reason not to publish it, may it even be the Gollumish My-Precious.

Narvius
May 21, 2008, 22:44
If open-source is that awesome, it's even more obvious that they have some important reason *not* to publish the code.

What I'm really biting you about is your choice of words, but if you don't get it, it can be more than words...

Uh... I've got no idea what you're talking about. Did I say something offensive?

Bandobras
May 21, 2008, 23:28
Well, if there are only and absolutely good things about releasing the source [...]

Of course, it's disputable. And it's disputed in enough places to leave it alone here. :)

[...]But for sure [they] have some reason not to publish it, may it even be the Gollumish My-Precious.

Yes and that's their right, even if it's as awful as jealousy (I don't have the slightest idea about this particular case, no offense to the Dwarf Fortress authors intended). The same as Van Gogh had all the right to hoard or even destroy all his paintings when there were only a few coal or pencil copies of them and not even one color photo (trying to make the analogy as accurate as possible, fortunately he didn't).

Uh... I've got no idea what you're talking about. Did I say something offensive?

Well, I felt irritated, especially that I hear such things daily as an effect of media corporations' propaganda. You said

and while I agree about Van Gogh or the Dwarf Fortress author's right to do what they please with their work, I felt _my_ rights endangered. I insist I have the right to blame them if they, say, destroyed their masterpieces and I insist I have the right to call the hoarding or (incuring the risk of) destruction by their true name and not 'protecting their work'.

Narvius
May 22, 2008, 00:01
I meant something like "You can't force them to [stuff]." with that sentence.

Bandobras
May 22, 2008, 00:27
Oh, OK, then a misunderstanding.

BTW, have you encountered your Unangband store already? :)

Edit: Wood-Elf in a Black Market store, was it? But you must have been late or with a non-trivial explanation, because somehow you've got a bit different setup...

Narvius
May 22, 2008, 09:21
I have an Un-Shop oO?!
I'm definetaly going to switch to Un again now ^.^

Garrie
May 23, 2008, 12:08
I really enjoyed DF. For those who don't like waiting for world generation, yes it sucks so be forwarned and go have dinner while it happens.

once you do generate a world, be prepared for a steep learning curve and the included help file is pathetically laid out and incomplete. I learned by playing with the wiki live in the background.

having said all that. how good a computer do you need to get a realistic speed of play? my poor 2.6GHZ P4 leaves me going to sleep in the time it takes for a game day once I get past 50 or so inhabitants. I think it's my graphics (onboard, not a gaming 3d graphics card) but that's why I went looking for a roguelike!

nobody
June 9, 2008, 18:05
i don't care for simulation games, but if i did i'd totally dig dwarf fortress

Zikke
July 2, 2008, 20:16
I installed this and waited through the world generation and really tried to figure it out, but I couldn't and deleted the game an hour later :(

Narvius
July 2, 2008, 23:14
It surely requires a bit more patience than Angband, heck, even than Nethack.

HallucinationMushroom
July 3, 2008, 06:31
I found the controls too daunting to learn. It looks like a very high quality game so it's my loss I suppose. I would totally play it if I could just talk out loud to the dwarves and they just did what I wanted. Hey you, go fetch water, and you over there, guard the perimeter and shoot any wildlife you see for dinner, and I want you over there, yeah you in the green shirt, get to making ale.

Narvius
July 3, 2008, 07:29
Part of the difficulty of the game is forcing your dwarves to do what you want ;)

Svladd Cjelik
July 3, 2008, 07:32
I found the controls too daunting to learn. It looks like a very high quality game so it's my loss I suppose. I would totally play it if I could just talk out loud to the dwarves and they just did what I wanted. Hey you, go fetch water, and you over there, guard the perimeter and shoot any wildlife you see for dinner, and I want you over there, yeah you in the green shirt, get to making ale.

There are some good tutorial videos in Youtube! I highly recommend you give it one more try!

Garrie
July 13, 2008, 05:57
Part of the difficulty of the game is forcing your dwarves to do what you want ;)

It's a bit of a zen moment when you work out: it doesn't matter who makes the foo as long as you have enough foo.

Which is what the job manager screen is all about:

Construct (foo) (number)

There are some good tutorial videos in Youtube! I highly recommend you give it one more try!
What i couldn't get over is how many of the you-tube videos were about how to cheat at the embark screen!

Garrie
August 7, 2008, 13:39
It's a bit of a zen moment when you work out: it doesn't matter who makes the foo as long as you have enough foo.

Which is what the job manager screen is all about:

Construct (foo) (number)

What i couldn't get over is how many of the you-tube videos were about how to cheat at the embark screen!

I just thought... the moment in DF when you realise "who cares which dwarf makes the foo" is just like the moment in Angband when you work out the way to win is to
1. buy lantern
2. go >
3. Kill Morgoth

not
1. buy lantern
2. go >
3. Find stuff
4. Kill random monsters
5. Kill Morgoth

Narvius
August 7, 2008, 15:53
Isn't it...
1. Go to General Store
2. Buy Lantern
3. Kill Morgoth
? ^.^

pav
August 7, 2008, 15:55
http://angband.oook.cz/comic/list.jpg

Well General Store no longer carries lanterns, so it's a bit obsolete.

Garrie
August 8, 2008, 10:18
http://angband.oook.cz/comic/list.jpg

Well General Store no longer carries lanterns, so it's a bit obsolete.

yeah well the main point is grip, fang, pullroarer... even anonymous cave orcs... aren't on the "to-do" list. They are just distractions.:cool:

Arendil
August 16, 2008, 16:55
Ugh. After few hours I'll say this is game is a total crap. Sorry folks for harsh worlds, but I really want those hours back.

I'm not interested in quasi-RTS main mode at all, so I tried Adventure mode.

It seems that author(s) really wanted as confusing UI as possible. Main challenges I noticed so far are: picking up items, and why they are automatically equipped, dropping items, putting items into containers, and why it is not possible even with a backpack, reading readme, understanding inventory and why I can't interact with most of it - what with those green items and weird names?, finding enemies, and why they always win, melee using picked up coins, idiotic combat detail - you pull your enemy's fourth toe - ROFL, drastic lag on a high-end computer, figuring your stats, and why most of them are permanently hidden, shopkeepers found inside shops that don't sell anything, and just say to meet them at their shops, completely unreadable ASCII mode, look mode that doesn't give any info at all, lack of any help files.
That's just for starters...

Time needed to create a world is irrelevant for me.
I'm not going to spent few months finding answers for the above. This mode is a complete mistake, and waste of time. Maybe *if* they finally create at least beta version.
Deleted from hard drive. Less headache. Good riddance.

RogerN
August 17, 2008, 04:38
I'm not interested in quasi-RTS main mode at all, so I tried Adventure mode.

Adventure mode is more of an afterthought than a complete game in itself. It's so you can wander around your abandoned fortresses, explore the world, etc... If you're not interested in the main Fortress mode at all then I'm not surprised that you didn't enjoy Adventure mode.

Some of the enemies in Adventure mode are just plain impossible unless you get extremely lucky or bring a large group of other adventurers with you. The Giant Cave Spider, in particular, is a nasty foe which can kill even a Legendary adventurer 9 times out of 10. That's just the way it is.

Most of the fun is found in Fortress mode. The greatest joys are thinking of elaborate new traps for killing goblin invaders. If you're not interested in this war-like SimCity style game then Dwarf Fortress probably isn't for you.

Jude
September 20, 2008, 19:10
Adventure mode at this point is barely functional. Dwarf Mode is what the game is all about.

bio_hazard
December 12, 2008, 00:27
A few points about DF-

Its still in Alpha, so there are reasons it isn't totally polished.

While it is a free game, the authors would prefer to think of it as shareware. they make quite a bit of money off of donations, and afaik this is pretty much their job. If I understand correctly, they are most worried about "forks" in the code if popular variants or utilities pop up, and then having to keep everyone happy by making sure these things he didn't write are still supported when the code is updated.

It is a really crazy convoluted game (and getting even crazier as new concepts are brought in, such as properties of different body layers, etc that are on tap for ). Definitely a learning curve. There's definitely frustration that the interface isn't easier and that this doesn't seem to be a priority.

There are some new youtube videos by Captain Duck that seem like they are useful, and also the Wiki, including tutorials, are a must.

There are also pre-generated worlds you can download if you don't want to spend the time in world generation.

Yoshiro Kamamura
August 31, 2010, 16:19
Indeed, dwarf fortress is an incredible game.

I registered here just to post a message about how I can't understand people playing old games like Angband when they can play the amazing Dwarf Fortress!

Therem Harth
August 31, 2010, 17:45
Different types of games. Being able to play World of Warcraft (MMORPG), for instance, doesn't mean you have to stop playing the original Warcraft (RTS).

(Though in all likelihood you will, seeing how much time WoW seems to suck up.)

cinereaste
August 31, 2010, 23:25
. . . I can't understand people playing old games like Angband when they can play the amazing Dwarf Fortress!

Seriously? What does age have to do with whether a game is worth playing?

I can't understand people playing old games like chess when they can play the amazing Frogger.

Bandobras
September 1, 2010, 12:03
DF has learn-by-(ab)using skills. For some people it's a showstopper, with all due respect for this totally amazing game. Also, you can't change this, because you can't make variants. Also, the level of micromanagement is arbitrarily set up, no macros, no UI for styles of play different from the default.

Did I already complain you can't make variants?

Mondkalb
September 6, 2010, 13:11
Did I already complain you can't make variants?

Actually you can, sort of.
A lot of things are handled in textfiles similar to *band.
So there is a limited possibility to change i. e. materials or monsters.

RogerN
September 7, 2010, 17:21
Also, the level of micromanagement is arbitrarily set up, no macros, no UI for styles of play different from the default.

FYI, the current version of Dwarf Fortress has built-in support for macros (http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Macros).

The Original Belmont
December 13, 2010, 18:56
I've tried repeatedly to get into DF, I just can't get into it for some reason. I guess the high level of frustration with the learning curve just offsets me. Maybe if I had more time....

dos350
December 27, 2010, 16:32
eek~! DF!! lol!~ i tried this game before i played angband...

i appreciate it for wat it is, but imo it isnt fun .. hoo!

theres too much to it or something i dont know... ive never really given it much of a chance..

angband on the otherhand~!!!!!!!!!!

cant get enough!!!!!

NotMorgoth
December 28, 2010, 13:54
It's not that different to Angband really:

1. Embark.
2. Buy anvil.
3. Flood the world with magma. ;)

If you chose to embark with an anvil you can skip step 2.

Frood
January 19, 2011, 15:28
Has anyone tried the adventure mode? Is it any good?

I have only played Dwarf mode and it is epic fun. Maybe it is too easy to survive though. I usually just quit my games when the fps drops too low. The system requirements for that game are a bit unreasonable.

RogerN
January 19, 2011, 21:30
Has anyone tried the adventure mode? Is it any good?

Adventure mode is mildly entertaining at best and extremely frustrating at worst. All of the quests right now consist of "travel to lair/cave/temple and kill critter X". It gets dull after a while. Quests increase in difficulty as your reputation improves, but once you're killing Titans there's no more to do.

Combat is sortof interesting, but also frustrating as dismemberment and/or nerve damage will cause permanent disability even if you survive the fight. Occasionally even a groundhog will get lucky enough to chew your arm off.

The most fun can probably be had by exploring your old fortresses, looting them for high-quality steel equipment, and then attempting to purge the nearest civilization of all life :)

I have only played Dwarf mode and it is epic fun. Maybe it is too easy to survive though. I usually just quit my games when the fps drops too low. The system requirements for that game are a bit unreasonable.

If you find it too easy to survive then it's time to delve deeper :) See how many of the *CENSORED* you can kill before they overrun your fortress.

bio_hazard
February 2, 2011, 19:34
I haven't gotten very far in adventure mode- it seems kind of sluggish (not performance wise, just takes forever to do anything). I've had a few characters win their first fight or two, but then the town doesn't have shops for me to upgrade my equipment and I end up taking a quest against pike-wielding thieves or some night-ogre-spouse that takes me down in one shot. I also find the day-night-sleeping thing hard to get a handle on.

I haven't really gotten very far in the fortress mode either. I've watched a video tutorial on setting up squads in the military but am still pretty baffled about getting them to train, equip things, etc.