Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Idle chatter (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Ascii Dreams poll (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=5161)

Antoine December 13, 2011 20:21

Ascii Dreams poll

Hi all

You might like to vote for your favorite variant (or other roguelike game) at ASCII Dreams.

Don't miss this poll which comes round only once a year! TOME 4 is currently in the lead but Crawl Stone Soup is not far behind.

A.

LostTemplar December 13, 2011 21:30

Nobody likes FAangband :(

Antoine December 13, 2011 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostTemplar (Post 64747)

Lots of people like FAangband, they just haven't voted yet! So get on down the polling booth...

A.

Malak Darkhunter December 13, 2011 23:27

FA has my vote.

andrewdoull December 14, 2011 00:21

FayAngband missed the cut because it wasn't announced in the places I use to compile this list.

Feel free to vote for it in the comments though.

Nick December 14, 2011 00:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostTemplar (Post 64747)

It's not the quantity, it's the quality :)

There is ancient Angband wisdom that any players of a variant aside from the maintainer are sheer bonus. FA has 5 forks on github; that's enough of a vote for me.

buzzkill December 14, 2011 02:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 64760)
It's not the quantity, it's the quality :)

Says the man who maintains how many variants?

Timo Pietilš December 14, 2011 08:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antoine (Post 64746)
Hi all

You might like to vote for your favorite variant (or other roguelike game) at ASCII Dreams.

Don't miss this poll which comes round only once a year! TOME 4 is currently in the lead but Crawl Stone Soup is not far behind.

A.

Lack of votes for vanilla angband is worrisome. After my vote there is only 26 votes. In the past Angband has been in top few, now it is lagging far behind.

buzzkill December 15, 2011 00:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewdoull (Post 64758)
FayAngband missed the cut because it wasn't announced in the places I use to compile this list.

Feel free to vote for it in the comments though.

No RePosBand either :(. At least I got to vote for 2 of the 4 that I wanted to.

getter77 December 15, 2011 04:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš (Post 64767)
Lack of votes for vanilla angband is worrisome. After my vote there is only 26 votes. In the past Angband has been in top few, now it is lagging far behind.

I reckon these things will sway wildly in the years going forward as the Roguelike scene enlivens solidly past the "perceived" stagnation/slow growth.

It is probably worthwhile food for thought for people to consider what factors lead to the eventual top contenders garnering their spots/number of supporters/awareness and see what could be incorporated even just piecemeal.

For Angband, the variants have been the most "visibly"(:gives the yearning eye for all to get done up properly in the dated listings over on Roguebasin: ) lively here in 2011 in terms of public releases and whatnot. Further, many of the relative newcomers popped into the stream of awareness with various flashy/fresh bits, use of A/V assets with video trailers and such, and a full head of steam, ie Dredmor/ToME 4, as opposed to being the latest meticulously placed pieces on top of something long-standing like Vanilla.

Vanilla is clearly livening up around here though, and I'd suspect is on track to make some significant inroads for 2012, if not earlier, as far as this polling and general awareness goes. LambdaRogue will have a very spiffy new release by year's end, Portralis is due to rise from the dead re-Alpha limbo proper come Jan 1, Infra Arcana slyly knocked out a nice version increase with a tileset that should help it garner extra votes, etc.

The winners have much to enjoy when the dust settles, but everybody can stand to sharpen their respective knives after all is said and done---the spotlight may be off of Angband at the moment but that just means few shall suspect the many Phials of Galadriel being duct taped together until it is upon them. :cool: