Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   AAR (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   RNG, how I hate you (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=1897)

Nick May 19, 2009 13:11

RNG, how I hate you

In the process of testing out the latest version of FA, I was in debug mode killing townspeople and waiting for The Complainer to turn up. Killed a Mean-Looking Mercenary; he dropped Leather Sandals of Speed (+5).

Words fail me.

Phoenix21692 May 19, 2009 17:28

Wow! I wonder what the RNG has in store next. :)

Zikke May 20, 2009 22:53

Wow! That's pretty amazing; I always get utter crap from him.

Is his spawn triggered from killing townspeople?

Nick May 20, 2009 23:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zikke (Post 19284)
Is his spawn triggered from killing townspeople?

The Complainer can appear any time; I was just killing others while I waited for him to appear, because I wanted to test a weapon on something that wasn't going to die in one round. It wouldn't have been so bad if he had dropped the boots, but it was a mercenary...

Donald Jonker May 21, 2009 00:15

Holy hell. One of those hang-it-up-for-awhile moments.

Zikke May 21, 2009 18:42

This scenario just happened to me today on a lowbie warrior.

Code:

###
#e#
#=#
# #
#@#
# #

You see a Ring of Free Action.  Right next to a Floating Eye....

I was out of ammo, decided to go for it, got paralyzed but broke free long enough to equip it. In hindsight I could have thrown anything at the eye and killed it, but I was pissed at the RNG teasing me like this...

will_asher May 31, 2009 05:37

Just started a wizard mode game to play like a real game (except without the dying..), to see what it's like deeper than I usually get.
So I find a hard leather armor of elvenkind on L8, a golden crown of seeing on L10, a shield of elvenkind on L12, and a ring of resist poison on L13.

Mondkalb May 31, 2009 07:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by will_asher (Post 19749)
Just started a wizard mode game to play like a real game (except without the dying..), to see what it's like deeper than I usually get.
So I find a hard leather armor of elvenkind on L8, a golden crown of seeing on L10, a shield of elvenkind on L12, and a ring of resist poison on L13.

Those are quite lucky finds.

aeneas June 25, 2009 09:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 19206)
Words fail me.

Well, if you play enough you'll get that kind thing again. When I was first trying to learn to play Angband I got killed by Brodda.. I ran from him, I phased, I did everything I could and he still tracked me down and killed me before I could get to the stairs. When I dumped the character I noticed that the unidentified ring I was carrying was =Speed +5. First speed ring I ever found, at 250 feet. Thank God I didn't know how unusual that was, or I might have stopped playing Angband in disgust.

If it's any consolation I just did something stupid and lost a character who found BoS +4 early. http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=9033 Shit happens.

aeneas July 5, 2009 07:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 19206)
In the process of testing out the latest version of FA, I was in debug mode killing townspeople and waiting for The Complainer to turn up. Killed a Mean-Looking Mercenary; he dropped Leather Sandals of Speed (+5).

Words fail me.

That sucks. A few years ago, when I sucked at Angband, I decided to try to play faster. I was aiming at getting to 1000' in one trip with a warrior. I had sold everything so I could buy ?recall.

I ran into Brodda. I tried to kill him but- no dice. He just had too many hp. Then I tried to run from him. Again, no dice. He killed me when I was three steps from the stairs. If I had been just a bit faster I would have escaped, but..

I looked at my death dump and saw that one of the un-Ided rings I was carrying was an RoS +5, found at 250'. Thank God I didn't understand what that meant, at the time. I would have been pretty depressed otherwise.