Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   question about disarming (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=8748)

calvinasleep December 4, 2017 04:45

question about disarming

I'm a little confused with disarm skill - I have 100% for both physical and magical disarm but I still set off traps like blindness traps. Most noticeably when shift-direction running.

Does running not try to disarm? Or is 100% not actually 100%?

Estie December 4, 2017 06:01

You mean, you stand adjacent to a trap and shift-direction into it ? I am fairly sure that doesnt attempt to disarm. Just directioning into traps should disarm, the chance for success being the indicated percentage.

calvinasleep December 4, 2017 06:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estie (Post 126726)
You mean, you stand adjacent to a trap and shift-direction into it ? I am fairly sure that doesnt attempt to disarm. Just directioning into traps should disarm, the chance for success being the indicated percentage.

if i'm a few spaces away and have already seen the trap and shift-direction, sometimes it disarms and sometimes it just goes off (with 100% disarm on both types of traps)

calvinasleep December 4, 2017 07:02

hm maybe i'm just doing something silly, i see my character stop in front of traps normally...

PowerWyrm December 4, 2017 09:15

You're probably "walking" into the trap instead of moving normally.

calvinasleep December 4, 2017 09:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerWyrm (Post 126736)
You're probably "walking" into the trap instead of moving normally.

how do you decide which you're doing? does shift-direction just run?

i just shift-direction-ed into a gas trap. there are actually times i want to set off a summoning trap but i could never figure out how.

PowerWyrm December 4, 2017 12:53

You "walk" into a trap by pressing "W".

PowerWyrm December 4, 2017 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvinasleep (Post 126728)
hm maybe i'm just doing something silly, i see my character stop in front of traps normally...

If you try to run when 2+ squares from a trap, it'll stop in front of it. If you try to run when adjacent to a trap, it'll trigger the trap without checking for disarm (same if you press W). If you try to walk when adjacent to a trap, it'll attempt to disarm it.

calvinasleep December 4, 2017 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerWyrm (Post 126749)
If you try to run when 2+ squares from a trap, it'll stop in front of it. If you try to run when adjacent to a trap, it'll trigger the trap without checking for disarm (same if you press W). If you try to walk when adjacent to a trap, it'll attempt to disarm it.

that's what i thought expected behavior was. but i've definitely run and just stepped into a trap when not adjacent. will test a bit...

Pete Mack December 5, 2017 18:54

'-' (jump) will force you to step into a trap.