Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Variants (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   [Announce] PosChengband 1.0.0 (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=5848)

chris January 13, 2013 17:04

[Announce] PosChengband 1.0.0

1 Attachment(s)
The first official version of PosChengband has been released. You can download windows binaries and source code here.

So, what is it? First and foremost it is a Chengband derivative, though with rather extensive changes. Enough to warrant it being a completely new variant in my opinion. Most races and classes have been altered in at least minor ways and quite a few classes were completely redesigned. Dual wielding has been completely redesigned. There is a new resistance system. Player hitpoint evolution has changed and ... I've made too many changes to remember them all at the moment!

But the big change is the addition of Posband style monster races. Have you ever wanted to play as a Gelatinous Cube? As a Dragon? As a Phase Spider? If you are like me, then the answer is a resounding Yes! At the moment I've added 10 new monster races (Angel, Beholder, Demon, Dragon, Giant, Hound, Jelly, Lich, Spider and Xorn) and a few more will be coming shortly. Like Posband, each monster race (excepting Xorn) has a boss monster which will drop a special racial artifact.

Pav, would it be possible to allow ladder posts for this variant? I've redone the character dump to clean things up a bit and I'm trying to attach a sample. Thanks!!

Chris

Arendil January 13, 2013 19:56

Yay! That was sorta unexpected...you've got some really cool ideas here. I'll give it a shot.
As far as reworking goes how about changing 1-18/*** scale to something like 1-40? Or showing numerical values of skills in character dump?

Roch January 13, 2013 20:16

Played a quick xorn that died an ignominious death at the hands of an ewok in the warg quest. Plays fine through that point, thanks Chris!

pav January 13, 2013 20:18

The Ladder now accepts PosChengband dumps.

Nick January 13, 2013 20:24

Wow, you are utterly bananas - and I say that with the deepest admiration. Is it ready for a competition?

chris January 13, 2013 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by pav (Post 76323)
The Ladder now accepts PosChengband dumps.

Thanks, Pav!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 76324)
Wow, you are utterly bananas - and I say that with the deepest admiration. Is it ready for a competition?

At the risk of encountering embarrassing software bugs, sure :)

emulord January 13, 2013 21:58

I just found scrolls called "wascally wabbit".

ekolis January 14, 2013 01:07

PosChengband? Genius! Now I can play as a Metal Slime! (Err, "metal babble"...)

ekolis January 14, 2013 01:39

Hmm, I can't find the Possessor class anywhere... :(

chris January 14, 2013 01:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekolis (Post 76331)
Hmm, I can't find the Possessor class anywhere... :(

Sorry, no Possessor class. Actually, judging from the Posband ladder it was actually player monster races that were popular.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arendil (Post 76320)
As far as reworking goes how about changing 1-18/*** scale to something like 1-40? Or showing numerical values of skills in character dump?

I'm OK with the 3 to 40 stats but will probably hold off until 2.0. For skills, I'm not sure how much a numerical value will mean to the player since you really need to grok the code to understand what, say, a 237 Fighting skill actually means.