Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Weapons breaking? (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=10456)

icefyre December 10, 2020 05:05

Weapons breaking?

Hello everyone,

I just started a game of Angband (v3.5.1) and threw a dagger at a rock lizard. To my surprise the dagger broke? Is that common? Can all weapons break or just non-magical ones? Do they only break when you throw them or can they break when I wield them?

Thanks!

Pete Mack December 10, 2020 13:41

I think it's a 1% chance. Artifacts cannot break when thrown.

Selkie December 10, 2020 17:28

I like the way they can break by chucking them at a lizard but tunneling through magma vein doesn't even blunt them.

DavidMedley December 10, 2020 23:55

See, this is the kind of unpopular stuff that I propose! Yes, tunneling SHOULD blunt your artifacts!!

Selkie December 11, 2020 01:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMedley (Post 149955)
See, this is the kind of unpopular stuff that I propose! Yes, tunneling SHOULD blunt your artifacts!!

It would really incentivise carrying a mattock or pick if tunneling with your main weapon blunted it. Maybe every 100 turns in granite you could lose -1 to damage. Every 200 turns in magma the same.

bughunter December 11, 2020 08:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMedley (Post 149955)

Maybe not artifacts but otherwise, I would not oppose this change.

As a nethack grognard, I was actually a wee, tiny bit disappointed when I found out that tunneling thru rubble with a rapier was even possible...

But then, there is an elegance to the streamlined rules in Angband.

invisibletroll December 11, 2020 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selkie (Post 149959)
It would really incentivise carrying a mattock or pick if tunneling with your main weapon blunted it. Maybe every 100 turns in granite you could lose -1 to damage. Every 200 turns in magma the same.

How about carrying a sharpener? ;)

DavidMedley December 11, 2020 14:28

Addressing the non-realism of tunnelling through granite with a sword is not a high priority, of course. But if something were to be done about it, the pain could be reduced by adding a "digger" equipment slot. +Dig items only; no statstick daggers!

whartung December 11, 2020 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMedley (Post 149974)
Addressing the non-realism of tunnelling through granite with a sword is not a high priority, of course. But if something were to be done about it, the pain could be reduced by adding a "digger" equipment slot. +Dig items only; no statstick daggers!

But we already have that implicitly, since digging will automatically swap with the digger in your bag.

Sure, I'll take a free gear slot to free up a bag slot any day, but effectively that's what's happening now.

I only wish it would swap to a digging ring if I had one so I could carry that instead of the annual output of the Pennsylvania Steel Industry in my bag.

DavidMedley December 11, 2020 18:36

Picture a world where Nick (or someone else) decides that you effectively have to carry a digger from now on. What do you think the reaction will be from players who just lost one of their precious few inventory slots?

I suppose another solution would be to add an inventory slot. Why do we stop at w anyway? Space limitation on some 1990s terminal screen?