Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   4.0.5 -- can I macro dagger throwing? (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=8482)

Qyx July 28, 2017 22:09

4.0.5 -- can I macro dagger throwing?

I feel like I've forgotten something. I tried inscribing my dagger with @v1, but then if I v1, I'm throwing my arrow. Then I tried v/1, but it didn't recognize the dagger. Is there any way I can put Narthanc to use?

Derakon July 28, 2017 22:23

I don't know why your macro isn't working, but it's probably something to do with the quiver.

In any case, throwing things for damage is generally not very effective in Vanilla. It'd be roughly equivalent to making a single blow in melee with the dagger. Once you have a better melee weapon, the 'thancs are really just meant to be discarded.

Qyx July 28, 2017 23:25

Yeah, I suppose it's kind of a waste of time, carrying Narthanc right now as it's my highest against non-evil non-animals not resistant to fire, but I haven't really seen any targets in that category and thought I might try throwing it, but yeah if it's just one blow, my arrows are better.

Nick July 28, 2017 23:29

Yes, throwing defaults to use the quiver. Derakon is right that throwing is rarely worth it in V - if the day comes that it is worth it, then the interface for it will probably be made easier.

Sky July 29, 2017 00:27

wait .. you can throw daggers? even artifact daggers?

how much damage does that even do ?

NimrodPE July 29, 2017 00:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derakon (Post 122904)
@Sky: It'd be roughly equivalent to making a single blow in melee with the dagger. @Me: Once you have a better melee weapon, the 'thancs are really just meant to be discarded.

Yes, the *thancs aren't that great, but as soon as they show up, things become a lot easier imho in the beginning and with Andúril comboed I get 2 ranged elemental attacks, so conclusion: Use them, don't throw them, until you have something like Andúril/Aglarang or Andúril/Éowyn. Didn't get past DL45 so far ;D

Nick July 29, 2017 00:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky (Post 122910)
wait .. you can throw daggers? even artifact daggers?

how much damage does that even do ?

You can throw anything, and it will do a small amount of damage. The interesting bit is that some variants have dedicated throwing weapons and improved damage, so throwing is actually a viable tactic.

Sky July 29, 2017 01:13

but is the damage based on the base damage and bonuses of the item thrown ? or does a dagger 2d4 (+10,+24) do the same damage as a dagger 1d4 (+0,+0) ?

Derakon July 29, 2017 16:38

For the third time,
Quote:

Originally Posted by Derakon (Post 122904)
It'd be roughly equivalent to making a single blow in melee with the dagger.

Exact formulae don't matter, because it's just not worth it.

Ingwe Ingweron July 29, 2017 20:54

For mages in the very beginning, throwing flasks of oil is a viable tactic. One assumes these are flaming Molotov cocktails.