Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Competition (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Competition 123 (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=5546)

Nick June 26, 2012 01:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antoine (Post 70842)
can i suggest the next comp should be 3.4 again with a decent character??

Fine. Babies.

Antoine June 26, 2012 01:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 70843)
Fine. Babies.

you shadow fairy necromancer liker!

A.

jujuben June 26, 2012 04:37

My prediction: any spellcasting class will do fine, but any fighter build will run into almost exactly the same problem.

Malak Darkhunter June 26, 2012 05:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by jujuben (Post 70847)
My prediction: any spellcasting class will do fine, but any fighter build will run into almost exactly the same problem.

That sums up pretty much what I think as well.

Derakon June 26, 2012 05:36

Sounds like the character should be a warrior or paladin then. :)

myshkin June 26, 2012 06:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnate (Post 70827)
It's interesting that the comp character is frustrating people. Nick - my recommendation for the next comp is a 3.0.6 warrior with identical capability (not identical stats, but as near as you can get in terms of hp, blows etc.). Let's see whether that's less frustrating, or more.

I'd vote for 2.4.frog-knows, but Magnate's suggestion is probably more instructive. :)

myshkin June 26, 2012 06:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by catchymonkey (Post 70834)
I might as well add my experience: I ran through about 8 characters going as hard and fast down to Dlvl 20 as reasonably possible. And died predictably.

The tactic was to find a piece of game-changing kit and then come back to a reasonable depth to fill out the rest. The first 8 found nothing better than boots of slow descent and I nearly gave up. The 9th found a Defender Rapier at about Dlvl 9. All 4 resists, FA, SI - it felt like a total cheat. I also found a decent ego bow and helm of telepathy before Dlvl 20. Seemed like a totally anomalous game compared to the others I'd tried. Also, as mentioned in the dump, I found a stack of 2 INT potions and a couple of Holy Infusions before I got to 20.

For what it's worth, I just started out with a shovel, dove, and looked for money, while running from anything I couldn't kill with the shovel and perhaps ?Heroism. That was often enough to get _Teleport, _DetectEvil, some consumables, and a decent missile weapon, and I'd usually find a passable average melee weapon along the way. I usually didn't stop for much; my biggest slowdown was an attempt to clear a zoo at 700', but I only tried that because a really good weapon for the depth had dropped already. I grant that it is risky to dive despite character deficiencies...that last character ended up with -485 HP at 2300' thanks to an unresisted fire breath, but even that death, I should have avoided.

So far, I haven't noticed a horrible dearth of items, but I also don't expect much at a diving pace. I would be curious as to what Atanvarno thinks, since most of the other competition players have chimed in.

PowerWyrm June 26, 2012 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnate (Post 70827)
It's interesting that the comp character is frustrating people. Nick - my recommendation for the next comp is a 3.0.6 warrior with identical capability (not identical stats, but as near as you can get in terms of hp, blows etc.). Let's see whether that's less frustrating, or more.

Overall, 3.4 is much easier than 3.0.6, but the 3.0.6 comp character would be easier to play because of:
- auto scum option: the first levels would always give something
- no "disconnected stairs" option: enabling disconnected stairs would mean playing an ironman character...
- no "no selling" option: enabling no selling would mean playing without shops at all...

ewan June 26, 2012 17:19

Reiterating - or 'going on about' depending :) - that I would *like* to have the game harder, but will not be playing 3.4 with the current uncloseable-window-clutter interface.

Is there a reason for this? I would welcome explanation - grumble grumble :-/

Derakon June 26, 2012 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerWyrm (Post 70867)
- no "disconnected stairs" option: enabling disconnected stairs would mean playing an ironman character...

Disconnected stairs used to be the default mode, and while an option to provide connected stairs was created fairly early in Angband's history (I think it existed in the 2.8.x days), there's no guarantee that Nick would use it for the competition character. :)