Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   "repeat" Command just little bit "smarter" (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=2014)

ClaytonAguiar June 17, 2009 06:16

"repeat" Command just little bit "smarter"

Hi,

The "repeat" command (default keystroke "n") is very useful, but has an anooying behaviour. Please, try the following:
1- Do anything (walk, cast a spell, etc).
2- Press R (to Rest)
3- Hit ESC (you decided to rest later, not now)
4- Hit n (to repeat last command)

It will try to repeat the R command. I know it was the last, but I cancelled it with ESC. IMO, it should repeat only "completed" commands. In this example, the action of step 1.

Anybody agree?

Cauldron June 17, 2009 07:00

Maybe it should repeat the ESC?

takkaria June 17, 2009 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaytonAguiar (Post 20628)
Hi,

The "repeat" command (default keystroke "n") is very useful, but has an anooying behaviour. Please, try the following:
1- Do anything (walk, cast a spell, etc).
2- Press R (to Rest)
3- Hit ESC (you decided to rest later, not now)
4- Hit n (to repeat last command)

It will try to repeat the R command. I know it was the last, but I cancelled it with ESC. IMO, it should repeat only "completed" commands. In this example, the action of step 1.

Anybody agree?

The behaviour of 'n' has changed since the last release and now does what you suggest.

buzzkill June 17, 2009 15:26

You could expand upon this by having repeat, not repeat (ignore) some commands like movement and look (and maybe some others) , and instead repeat previous command.

It would also be helpful if repeating the Rest command continued with the previously selected duration rather than re-prompting you (since rest is often interrupted by harmless events).

takkaria June 17, 2009 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzkill (Post 20659)
You could expand upon this by having repeat, not repeat (ignore) some commands like movement and look (and maybe some others) , and instead repeat previous command.

It would also be helpful if repeating the Rest command continued with the previously selected duration rather than re-prompting you (since rest is often interrupted by harmless events).

The change that made 'n' more intelligent also did what you said above (except it includes movement). :)

Nick June 17, 2009 15:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by takkaria (Post 20660)
The change that made 'n' more intelligent also did what you said above (except it includes movement). :)

You're just adding features as soon as they're posted to this thread, aren't you?

I think 'n' should do the command the player is thinking, unless that would get them killed, in which case it should do the command they should do.

Clock's ticking.

takkaria June 17, 2009 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 20662)
You're just adding features as soon as they're posted to this thread, aren't you?

I think 'n' should do the command the player is thinking, unless that would get them killed, in which case it should do the command they should do.

Clock's ticking.

Maybe in 3.1.2?

buzzkill June 17, 2009 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 20662)
Clock's ticking.

Sure is. When is 0.4.0 coming out? I'm waiting :(.

Nick June 17, 2009 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzkill (Post 20664)
Sure is. When is 0.4.0 coming out? I'm waiting :(.

Next release will be 1.0.0. It currently glories in the title 1.0.0alpha2; most of the major surgery is done, but there are about 50 things still on the to-do list, not including the bug I just found and all the ones I haven't found yet. Suffice to say, it won't be the next competition.