Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   did Sauron actually own a mace? (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=9025)

Sky August 5, 2018 15:08

did Sauron actually own a mace?

As seen in the recent Peter Jackson films, did Sauron fight with a warmace (according to Tolkien)??

If so, should he drop it?

I do like the idea of named drops, but sadly only Morgoth has them, when the game is over.

Radagast could drop is boots, and so could Wormtongue. Grishnak could drop an orcish shield. Azog would drop a mace, and the Nazguls would drop their morgul blades. Gothmog would obviously drop his whip, and maybe Ancalong has Glaurung stashed somewhere. Perhaps Smaug could drop Bard's bow?

Nick August 5, 2018 23:22

No, no evidence of Sauron wielding any weapon. He did at times have a distinctive fighting style.

Huqhox August 6, 2018 13:35

I think it's fair to say his weapons were treachery and guile, finding the greed and evil in others and using it to his advantage

But that's a tricky thing to make into a useful drop...

Mondkalb August 6, 2018 14:13

You could nerf The One Ring and have Sauron drop it. As it is now, it is probably too powerful

Derakon August 6, 2018 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mondkalb (Post 132535)
You could nerf The One Ring and have Sauron drop it. As it is now, it is probably too powerful

Heresy. It should be ridiculously powerful, it contains the bulk of the power of an in-universe god. An in-universe god, it should be noted, that spends much of the timeline without access to said ring.

I could see possibly making it more rare; it's not clear how often it's found these days but I feel like it might be more common now than it used to be.

Mondkalb August 6, 2018 14:34

As part of the myth the ring should of course be very powerful, but within gameplay it needs some restrictions.
Maybe it should have more drawbacks? (If it were a regular drop from Sauron.)

Derakon August 6, 2018 14:37

Well, like I said, Sauron doesn't have the Ring. That's the entire motivation behind the LotR trilogy: he wants his ring back.

If you want to link the Ring to a monster, give Smeagol a 1 in 1 million chance of dropping it. ;)

wobbly August 6, 2018 14:40

TY cursed in Z-variants. Ag is enough, how often do you find it? It can be a fun combination
OP and Ag.

Mondkalb August 6, 2018 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derakon (Post 132539)
Well, like I said, Sauron doesn't have the Ring. That's the entire motivation behind the LotR trilogy: he wants his ring back.

If you want to link the Ring to a monster, give Smeagol a 1 in 1 million chance of dropping it. ;)

Yeah, but it is all messed up in Angband, because there are critters from the early time out of the Silmarillion as well as from the third age out of TLotR.
Since Morgoth is in play, Sauron could still have the one ring just as well. Even with Bulroarer and Smeagol roaming around. ;)

Gwarl August 6, 2018 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derakon (Post 132539)

In poslikes it's a 1 in 666 chance and I've still never heard of anyone who actually found it from him.