Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Variants (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   RePosBand: play as a monster in Angbad 3.2 (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=3986)

EpicMan January 14, 2011 16:44

I'm a little late on this, but for balancing some of the OP races (balrogs, etc), instead of random chance of inventory destruction every turn (=you can't carry certain items basically), just add a % chance when using an item for the item to be consumed but not used ("your scroll of teleport burns up before you can use it!").

So your Balrog could carry ?WOR or ?Tele but they would not be 0% fail like for most other characters. This might not be very noticeable early on (except you would need to carry multiple ?WORs or risk getting stuck) but later in the game lacking failsafe escapes and resets would change things up a lot.

Sirridan January 14, 2011 17:22

1 Attachment(s)
Killed some ice ogres as a chaos drake at level 28. I am now my races champion?

EDIT: Uploaded save

Arjen January 14, 2011 20:51

Ow that weird :) I think an ice ogre isn't the right monster :)

pampl January 14, 2011 21:02

0.6.3 is up. Not savefile compatible, as a new byte was added to save files to track your starting race. The trade-off is that now quickstart works.
edit: OK, 0.6.3.1 is now up. Fixed crashing error with EQ. Stupid UI bugs with equipment slots are proving challenging.

Misc. bugs fixed, blue/white/gold dragons added. Beholders aren't in yet. Summoning still being worked on. Thoughts for future editions: maybe making a "no hands" flag for monsters that have to bash doors open to go through them (hounds, hydras). I'd have to make easy_alter try to bash doors to keep this from being really annoying and even then I'm not sure whether I like it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by EpicMan (Post 46895)
I'm a little late on this, but for balancing some of the OP races (balrogs, etc), instead of random chance of inventory destruction every turn (=you can't carry certain items basically), just add a % chance when using an item for the item to be consumed but not used ("your scroll of teleport burns up before you can use it!").

So your Balrog could carry ?WOR or ?Tele but they would not be 0% fail like for most other characters. This might not be very noticeable early on (except you would need to carry multiple ?WORs or risk getting stuck) but later in the game lacking failsafe escapes and resets would change things up a lot.

I like this idea. I could even set the chance of destruction as being partially based on level, on the grounds that the balrog's fiery aura gets stronger as they grow powerful. Still, it's going to have to wait until summoning is done. (edit: And how about an aura of darkness, that prevents certain artifact lights - the phial, the star - from being activated? Too much?)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirridan (Post 46896)
Killed some ice ogres as a chaos drake at level 28. I am now my races champion?

EDIT: Uploaded save

Shoot, good catch. Fixed in .6.3.

Adley January 14, 2011 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by pampl (Post 46792)
Good news for Mac users, Nick has compiled an OSX version.

This is not good news. That's excellent news.
Edit : hum... help? when double clicking Repos, the application shuts itself. When starting it from the executable, through a terminal, i get a
Code:

dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000022
Trace/BPT trap
logout

Is there going to be a compiled OSX version for each new version :D?
And, on beholder... make them possess antimagic, as in original D&D?

Challtdow January 14, 2011 22:49

Just started it up and noticed baby gold dragons have a hit die of 0.

Chall T. Dow

pampl January 14, 2011 23:23

Are breath weapons too strong? I know they're the main gimmick of dragons and especially hounds, but looking at the numbers they compare quite favorably to mage spells up to mana storm... what say you, RePosBand players? Are breathers too easy?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adley (Post 46910)
This is not good news. That's excellent news.
Edit : hum... help? when double clicking Repos, the application shuts itself. When starting it from the executable, through a terminal, i get a
Code:

Trace/BPT trap
logout

I wish I could help, but I don't have access to a Mac and don't really know much about them anyway :( Sorry. I'll ask Nick if he's willing to be Official Mac Guy for Repos.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Challtdow (Post 46918)
Just started it up and noticed baby gold dragons have a hit die of 0.

Chall T. Dow

Dang it, I thought I had gotten all those. Alright, .6.3.2 is up and it's fixed.

Nick January 15, 2011 05:31

Quote:

Code:

Trace/BPT trap
logout

Try 0.6.3, which is up on my RePos repository now - it gives an error if I run from the disk image folder, but it's fine if I copy the reposband app locally.

Quote:

Depends if I can keep up with the maintainer ;)

Arjen January 15, 2011 12:30

Something I miss is the damage you do when you don't use weapons and what kind of damage(brand/conf/stun). In posband you could see who sharp your claws and teeth were. Can you put that in repos too?

pampl January 15, 2011 22:10

Quote:

And, on beholder... make them possess antimagic, as in original D&D?

That could be a little too strong, depending on how it's implemented. OTOH almost all strong spellcasters are strong in melee too and are smart, so it might not be too bad.. would make druj farming very profitable though. I'll look into it after summoning and quests are done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjen (Post 46949)
Something I miss is the damage you do when you don't use weapons and what kind of damage(brand/conf/stun). In posband you could see who sharp your claws and teeth were. Can you put that in repos too?

Good call, I'd been meaning to do that but sort of forgot about it.

AnonymousHero January 16, 2011 10:35

Current master crashes almost instantly for me. Here's the backtrace:

Code:

Program received signal SIGABRT, Aborted.
0x00007ffff70eeba5 in raise (sig=<value optimized out>) at ../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/raise.c:64
64      ../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/raise.c: No such file or directory.
        in ../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/raise.c
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00007ffff70eeba5 in raise (sig=<value optimized out>) at ../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/raise.c:64
#1  0x00007ffff70f26b0 in abort () at abort.c:92
#2  0x00007ffff712843b in __libc_message (do_abort=<value optimized out>, fmt=<value optimized out>)
    at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/libc_fatal.c:189
#3  0x00007ffff71324b6 in malloc_printerr (action=3, str=0x7ffff7202e33 "free(): invalid pointer",
    ptr=<value optimized out>) at malloc.c:6283
#4  0x0000000000465afa in parse_prefs_t (p=<value optimized out>) at prefs.c:1055
#5  0x0000000000463946 in parser_parse (p=0x863528, line=<value optimized out>) at parser.c:356
#6  0x0000000000466adb in process_pref_file (name=0x0, quiet=<value optimized out>) at prefs.c:1255
#7  0x0000000000466bcd in parse_prefs_load (p=0x8621f8) at prefs.c:513
#8  0x0000000000463946 in parser_parse (p=0x8621f8, line=<value optimized out>) at parser.c:356
#9  0x0000000000466adb in process_pref_file (name=0x0, quiet=<value optimized out>) at prefs.c:1255
#10 0x0000000000432575 in init_reposband () at init2.c:3821
#11 0x000000000041b3bb in play_game () at dungeon.c:1667
#12 0x000000000049bd79 in main (argc=2, argv=<value optimized out>) at main.c:464

(That was using "gcc -O0 -g" on a 64-bit Ubuntu 10.10. Since this is the first time I'm trying to get this running, I don't have any prefs files.)

I'm getting some compilation warnings, but nothing that seem too dangerous, but here they are just for completeness:
Code:

attack.c: In function ‘py_attack_real’:
attack.c:418: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
In file included from powers.c:18,
                from cmd0.c:28:
powers_code.c: In function ‘use_power’:
powers_code.c:1849: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘summon_specific_pet’
In file included from powers.c:19,
                from cmd0.c:28:
powers_info.c: In function ‘power_info’:
powers_info.c:520: warning: spurious trailing ‘%’ in format
powers_info.c:526: warning: spurious trailing ‘%’ in format
powers_info.c:532: warning: spurious trailing ‘%’ in format
cmd0.c: At top level:
powers_strings.h:4: warning: ‘r_info_pwr’ defined but not used
init2.c: In function ‘parse_p_p’:
init2.c:2691: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
object/obj-ui.c: In function ‘show_equip’:
object/obj-ui.c:269: warning: unused variable ‘in_term’
object/obj-util.c: In function ‘describe_use’:
object/obj-util.c:838: warning: ‘p’ may be used uninitialized in this function
xtra2.c: In function ‘check_experience’:
xtra2.c:133: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘show_file’

EDIT: I should also say: I've installed into a directory alongside the source directory, so I have two directories, "reposband" and "reposband-bin". During "configure" I only specified a --prefix option and a CFLAGS.

Adley January 16, 2011 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 46936)
Try 0.6.3, which is up on my RePos repository now - it gives an error if I run from the disk image folder, but it's fine if I copy the reposband app locally.

Sadly, same error code.
For the moment, i'm playin' on an emulator. First things first : are there any help files detailing monster evolution? also, the help files are for Reposband 0.5.3... (as in, name)

Nick January 16, 2011 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adley (Post 46996)
Sadly, same error code.

Weird - it runs for me with no dramas. If you have XCode installed, could you try compiling? It's just
Code:

make -f Makefile.osx dist
from the reposband/src directory.

emulord January 16, 2011 17:34

Ok, some balance notes on hounds:

Hounds are way too powerful. Hounds are only supposed to be average power level, but right now they're munchiny.

Clear hounds:
should basically be in between a warrior and a rogue. Right now they're a little too powerful. (too much HP) but they're alright.

Light Hounds:
Should have *much* less stealth (they're super bright). Probably less HP too.

Vibration hounds:
Should have "bad" stealth. They're basically emitting sound waves all the time. Also, their breaths should aggro. This would balance them.

Overall:
Amount of resists is insane (but this is probably okay)!
4 rings is probably too much for a hound. It doesnt really make sense to have boots+rings anyway. 2 rings, 1 boots would be fine. Hounds need less slots since they have innate resistances.

That's all the races I've played so far. It seems fun, but there needs to be some difficulty in non-munchkin races.

pampl January 16, 2011 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnonymousHero (Post 46995)
Current master crashes almost instantly for me. Here's the backtrace:
EDIT: I should also say: I've installed into a directory alongside the source directory, so I have two directories, "reposband" and "reposband-bin". During "configure" I only specified a --prefix option and a CFLAGS.

That's really weird. Prefs.c line 1055 is just freeing up memory, and isn't something I've touched (or would ever want to). Do you ever get crashing in other variants or is this unique to Repos?
Quote:

Originally Posted by emulord (Post 47014)
Ok, some balance notes on hounds:

Hounds are way too powerful. Hounds are only supposed to be average power level, but right now they're munchiny.

Clear hounds:
should basically be in between a warrior and a rogue. Right now they're a little too powerful. (too much HP) but they're alright.

Light Hounds:
Should have *much* less stealth (they're super bright). Probably less HP too.

Vibration hounds:
Should have "bad" stealth. They're basically emitting sound waves all the time. Also, their breaths should aggro. This would balance them.

Overall:
Amount of resists is insane (but this is probably okay)!
4 rings is probably too much for a hound. It doesnt really make sense to have boots+rings anyway. 2 rings, 1 boots would be fine. Hounds need less slots since they have innate resistances.

That's all the races I've played so far. It seems fun, but there needs to be some difficulty in non-munchkin races.

Cool, thanks for the feedback. Clear hounds actually have less HP than most rogues do, but I wouldn't have a problem with reducing it a little further - the player only plays as them for 7 levels, after all.

I don't have a problem with reducing light hounds stealth if you think it'll make them better balanced, but I don't want to do it if it's just for "game logic" reasons, though, because game logic also says that waving bright lights in front of sleeping monsters' faces doesn't wake them up- only flashes of light do.

I really like the idea of sound causing aggro- stunning is absurdly strong in the early game, and sound is the most reliable early source of it. Impact hounds will still probably be very strong, but I don't mind if there's some difference in power among hounds as long as it isn't ridiculous. I do agree with your game logic justification of vibration hounds having less stealth so I'll probably reduce it a few points.

What did you think of my earlier idea to make hounds (and hydras, and maybe some others like basilisks) have to batter down doors instead of opening them? I'd make easy_alter work with the batter command so you wouldn't have to press shift+B all the time, but even so it might get annoying..

Development has slowed a little bit as I work on summoning and spend a little time tinkering with my old plan to build a Flash roguelike, so .6.3.2 is likely to be the last version of January. I still want bug reports though! Right now the list of known bugs is (from changes.txt):
-Repos having mixed results running on Linux, OSX.
-screen redrawing on evolution means messages before evolution are dropped
-level gain messages can be displayed 2x or more if they occur after evolving
-can't use 'repeat command' with race powers
-powers can't use HP in lieu of mana (feature or bug?)
-equippy chars don't display on main screen (design problem.. how to deal with a line too long?)
-innate melee info not displayed
-eq slots past #23 aren't labelled correctly
-sometimes worn objects psuedo as being in the wrong slot ("you feel the body armor in your pack is excellent...")
-randarts turned on = no names for racial artifacts
-high scores table lists wrong species

If you don't see your favorite bug here be sure to submit it.

emulord January 16, 2011 19:05

Bashing doors instead of opening them makes sense with game logic, but it is really annoying. Mainly because Bashing is terribly ineffective until Str of 18/50+.
On the other hand, light hounds waking up monsters faster makes sense with game logic, and balance reasons. They need to have some disadvantage compared to dark hounds because of how well they can kill orcs.

Sirridan January 16, 2011 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by emulord (Post 47019)
Bashing doors instead of opening them makes sense with game logic, but it is really annoying. Mainly because Bashing is terribly ineffective until Str of 18/50+.
On the other hand, light hounds waking up monsters faster makes sense with game logic, and balance reasons. They need to have some disadvantage compared to dark hounds because of how well they can kill orcs.

As for bashing, just give races with the need to bash, a bonus, much like dwarves get with tunneling?

Just a thought

emulord January 17, 2011 00:48

So I was playing hydras.

Where do the 4 ring slots come from? Arn't hydras just a snake with a bunch of heads? They should only have 1 ring (tail). That probably would make it too hard though.

Balance was good until I evolved to a 5 headed hydra.
5 Headed hydras can only do poison damage. Against poison resistant enemies, it can be impossible to kill them. As a result you just ignore large kobalds and stuff like that and hope something else kills them with a lightning or fire breath.

emulord January 17, 2011 00:55

So I was playing hydras.

Where do the 4 ring slots come from? Arn't hydras just a snake with a bunch of heads? They should only have 1 ring (tail). That probably would make it too hard though.

5 Headed hydras can only do poison damage. Against poison resistant enemies, it can be impossible to kill them. As a result you just ignore large kobalds and stuff like that and hope something else kills them with a lightning or fire breath.

pampl January 17, 2011 04:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by emulord (Post 47019)
They need to have some disadvantage compared to dark hounds because of how well they can kill orcs.

This is a good point.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirridan (Post 47020)
As for bashing, just give races with the need to bash, a bonus, much like dwarves get with tunneling?

Just a thought

Tunnelling bonus is easier to implement but it should be pretty easy anyway, I'll give it a shot and see how it plays once I've done summoning and questing.
Quote:

Originally Posted by emulord (Post 47032)

I don't think there's an authoritative answer to whether the Lernaean hydra was supposed to have 0, 2, or 4 legs. D&D tradition is 4 legs so that's what I went with.

Are you playing the latest version? I've changed it so that all elemental attacks do half their damage as physical damage. You still have to deal with resistances but you do 55% of normal damage instead of 11%

AnonymousHero January 17, 2011 07:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by pampl (Post 47018)
That's really weird. Prefs.c line 1055 is just freeing up memory, and isn't something I've touched (or would ever want to). Do you ever get crashing in other variants or is this unique to Repos?

I've only observed it in RePos, but I now notice that RePos is tracking the Angband 'master' branch, so it may just be some instability inherited from there.

Arjen January 17, 2011 12:37

Found a typo with hounds. They can breathe lighning. ;) Furthermore, i don't think hounds have too much HP. I'm now lvl 28 with 235 HP. That not even 10 hp per level. Balrogs would have like 700 hp at lvl 28.

emulord January 17, 2011 18:53

I think I was playing the latest. It was .6.3

Sirridan January 17, 2011 20:54

I had a fun bug, did a git pull to get the newest version, but for some reason the compiling kinda screwed... so I created a hound and went downstairs. The square I started on in dlvl 1 was downstairs... so I went down again. The start square in dlvl 2 was also downstairs... so I went to 3. and 4. and 5... So I held down shift + . (for >) and kept going downstairs!

5 minutes later I was at dlvl 380. I killed something invisible (after it killed me and I didn't die?) and leveld up. I eventually quit when invisible undead had me in a confusion/fear lock I couldn't escape because I couldn't die.

Hopefully a make clean will fix it :)

pampl January 17, 2011 21:42

I just updated the code on git. There aren't a lot of changes so I'm not going to make a new rar, I'm just hoping that it'll fix the weird bugs besetting people who compile it themselves.

Sirridan January 17, 2011 22:47

IF you compile it yourself, do a make clean first. That fixed all my issues.

Huzzah! But it was fun being immortal at dlvl 380! 17000some feet? It was a blast :D

pampl January 19, 2011 01:29

New version that fixes rather serious bug - attacks to batter/wound weren't defined so they didn't do any damage. If you ever wondered why half ogres were so easy, it's because they literally couldn't hurt you. It's still at https://github.com/downloads/simongr...nd%200.6.3.rar

Arjen January 19, 2011 09:04

A reaction on your newest dead troll.

What i notice with randart is that you find better artifact earlier in the game. Especially when you play a non-weapon monster. Maybe this is just luck with finds. And overal i think randarts are way better than the normal arts if you check the normal Angbandladder. Is this on purpose? It doesn't make you want to play with the standart artifacts if you know the chances to survive are higher with randarts.

emulord January 19, 2011 17:27

Nexus hounds should probably have teleporting ability, no? Since their nexus breathes dont teleport, they should have some kind of theme rather than just straight damage.

By the way, don't have their attacks teleport, that would be a nightmare. Maybe you could have them be better at magic devices or something

emulord January 19, 2011 19:52

Ghosts should start as a poltergeist at level 1-4 or so. From original pos, they wouldn't have boot slots. Gaining some form as you level up feels good as a ghost.

pampl January 19, 2011 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjen (Post 47156)
A reaction on your newest dead troll.

What i notice with randart is that you find better artifact earlier in the game. Especially when you play a non-weapon monster. Maybe this is just luck with finds. And overal i think randarts are way better than the normal arts if you check the normal Angbandladder. Is this on purpose? It doesn't make you want to play with the standart artifacts if you know the chances to survive are higher with randarts.

Not on purpose. I didn't change the randart code so it must have been quirky in the version of Angband I used. Maybe I'll update the Angband code(merge? Not clear on the terminology) before 3.3 if that's the case.
Quote:

Originally Posted by emulord (Post 47181)
Nexus hounds should probably have teleporting ability, no? Since their nexus breathes dont teleport, they should have some kind of theme rather than just straight damage.

By the way, don't have their attacks teleport, that would be a nightmare. Maybe you could have them be better at magic devices or something

I could give them phase door/tp. I had assumed that nexus breath would phase/tp whatever didn't resist it, its damage would be slightly lower if I had known it wasn't that annoying.
Quote:

Originally Posted by emulord (Post 47187)
Ghosts should start as a poltergeist at level 1-4 or so. From original pos, they wouldn't have boot slots. Gaining some form as you level up feels good as a ghost.

I just copied the first form from the partially-finished Pos implementation.. no idea why he didn't start with poltergeists. Ghosts already evolve every five levels so it'll be a while before I give them new forms.

Djabanete and I were tossing around ideas for new special artifacts. I'd like every PITA unique to have a chance at dropping a relatively strong artifact.. there are already (from Pos) special artifacts for Smeagol, Grip and Fang, Eol, one of the orc captains, and the elemental royalty, plus the racial artifacts. Other uniques we've been talking about adding artifacts to are Nar the dwarf (his clothing is described as ragged, so either a rag or something damaged), Kavlax (a suit of PDSM that's been irradiated by his gravity breath and so weighs a lot and gives a penalty to speed), Gorlim (a dim torch with a bonus to stealth and speed), Saruman (his technicolor robe, not sure what its bonuses and penalties should be), boots or gloves or something for Mim, a pick for Maeglin, and a rag for Ghan-Buri-Ghan (who has to be added as a mob too). Any other tough uniques and artifact ideas? Maybe something for Lorgan or the Tarrasque?

These special artifacts only have a 1/15 chance of dropping, so I'm not worried too much about adding too many.. I'd like players to average 1-3 per game, so 30-40 artifacts in total, or ~20 new ones.

Derakon January 19, 2011 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjen (Post 47156)
And overal i think randarts are way better than the normal arts if you check the normal Angbandladder. Is this on purpose? It doesn't make you want to play with the standart artifacts if you know the chances to survive are higher with randarts.

Certainly the randart vs. standart balance has been wonky in various directions for awhile. However, you should also consider that experienced players are more likely to be playing with randarts than unexperienced players, since they already know what all the standarts do. Assuming randarts and standarts are balanced, that means that any given randart game is more likely to produce a winner, because it's more likely to be at the hands of someone who knows what they're doing.

In other words, more randart winners than standart winners does not necessarily mean randarts are better.

AnonymousHero January 20, 2011 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derakon (Post 47190)
In other words, more randart winners than standart winners does not necessarily mean randarts are better.

There's also the whole "users don't tend to post non-winners" thing. So players who roll a good set of randarts would tend to be posted more often that players with a bad set of randards. (Selection bias, I guess.)

buzzkill January 21, 2011 15:24

RePosBand 0.6.3

When using DVG graphics I get an (non-crash) error reading graf-dvg.prf which prevents the rest of the file from loading, resulting in lots of items appearing as ASCII.
Commenting out the following line eliminates it, and I don't see anything wrong here in the prf, so it must be is the source???

Code:

##### Dragon Scale Mail #####

K:dragon armor:Multi-Hued Dragon Scale Mail~:0x80:0xC4
K:dragon armor:Pseudo-Dragon Scale Mail~:0x80:0xC0
K:dragon armor:Law Dragon Scale Mail~:0x80:0xC2
# K:dragon armor:Bronze Dragon Scale Mail~:0x80:0xBE
K:dragon armor:Gold Dragon Scale Mail~:0x80:0xBF
K:dragon armor:Chaos Dragon Scale Mail~:0x80:0xC1
K:dragon armor:Balance Dragon Scale Mail~:0x80:0xC3
K:dragon armor:Power Dragon Scale Mail~:0x80:0xC5

pampl January 21, 2011 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzkill (Post 47286)
RePosBand 0.6.3

When using DVG graphics I get an (non-crash) error reading graf-dvg.prf which prevents the rest of the file from loading, resulting in lots of items appearing as ASCII.
Commenting out the following line eliminates it, and I don't see anything wrong here in the prf, so it must be is the source???

Code:

##### Dragon Scale Mail #####

K:dragon armor:Multi-Hued Dragon Scale Mail~:0x80:0xC4
K:dragon armor:Pseudo-Dragon Scale Mail~:0x80:0xC0
K:dragon armor:Law Dragon Scale Mail~:0x80:0xC2
# K:dragon armor:Bronze Dragon Scale Mail~:0x80:0xBE
K:dragon armor:Gold Dragon Scale Mail~:0x80:0xBF
K:dragon armor:Chaos Dragon Scale Mail~:0x80:0xC1
K:dragon armor:Balance Dragon Scale Mail~:0x80:0xC3
K:dragon armor:Power Dragon Scale Mail~:0x80:0xC5

Does the same thing happen with the V nightlies? My guess is that this was caused by the change to confusion from an element that's breathed to just a status effect. I'll add it to the bug list.

buzzkill January 22, 2011 03:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by pampl (Post 47294)
Does the same thing happen with the V nightlies? My guess is that this was caused by the change to confusion from an element that's breathed to just a status effect. I'll add it to the bug list.

I don't play nightlies, but it does not happen in 3.2 proper. Anyone who does play nightlies can confirm or deny by simply switching to DVG graphics. The error message will appear immediately (but won't crash and shouldn't affect you game in any way).

Nick January 22, 2011 03:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzkill (Post 47324)
I don't play nightlies, but it does not happen in 3.2 proper. Anyone who does play nightlies can confirm or deny by simply switching to DVG graphics. The error message will appear immediately (but won't crash and shouldn't affect you game in any way).

IIRC there was an issue with the BDSM (heh) in V at some point - I would recommend just removing it.

AnonymousHero January 22, 2011 04:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by pampl (Post 47294)

IIRC BDSM (not BaDSM) was removed from the game.

Magnate January 22, 2011 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 47326)
IIRC there was an issue with the BDSM (heh) in V at some point - I would recommend just removing it.

If you remove it completely, any savefiles containing it will be unable to load. I just set its rarity to 0 in V so it is not generated.

Arjen January 22, 2011 17:29

Tried the crystal drake, lot's of fun. Downside, hard to get FA ring (found FA at clvl 28), no other source because you can't wield boots, gloves and weapons. I bet i'm forgetting a source, but i bet it isn't a common source (or it has -3 speed). Same with speed, i only found a staff of speed.

So i realised that the FA was making them a nice challenge(yay!) and shouldn't be changed. But the speed is kinda hard, you can't wield speedboots. And monsterraces don't get speed even if the monster itself is hasted. (Most Wyrms have more than normal speed.) So maybe thats something to change? I know Posband had speed implented in the races.

Ow and i met some nasty golems and i wanted to play them! So maybe a next race new can be golems. (flesh -> iron -> steel -> mithril -> colbran -> colossus ->bone/bronze/drolem). As being a golem, they should have stuff like HL, FA, res conf/poison, no_cuts (even saw a piece of metal bleed or been poisoned?).

buzzkill January 22, 2011 18:08

Quiver bug

0.6.3 Ammo loaded into the quiver doesn't show up on the equipment list.

... critiquing the Lich (so far, DL's 1-10)

a) ring of Ice (activation) makes him too powerful, maybe an ICE_BRAND instead if that's the point of it.
b) with all the ranged spells, does he really need a launcher slot?
c) does he really need to eat food for sustenance. Some sort of vampiric drain seems more fitting.

qwerty January 22, 2011 20:41

I've noticed the ammo problem as well.
Any ammo loaded into quiver isn't seen on screen but can be selected using the right letter (n I think) so you can still fire or drop it etc. It just makes it more difficult to keep track of what ammo you are holding.

pampl January 22, 2011 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjen (Post 47380)
Tried the crystal drake, lot's of fun. Downside, hard to get FA ring (found FA at clvl 28), no other source because you can't wield boots, gloves and weapons. I bet i'm forgetting a source, but i bet it isn't a common source (or it has -3 speed). Same with speed, i only found a staff of speed.

So i realised that the FA was making them a nice challenge(yay!) and shouldn't be changed. But the speed is kinda hard, you can't wield speedboots. And monsterraces don't get speed even if the monster itself is hasted. (Most Wyrms have more than normal speed.) So maybe thats something to change? I know Posband had speed implented in the races.

Ow and i met some nasty golems and i wanted to play them! So maybe a next race new can be golems. (flesh -> iron -> steel -> mithril -> colbran -> colossus ->bone/bronze/drolem). As being a golem, they should have stuff like HL, FA, res conf/poison, no_cuts (even saw a piece of metal bleed or been poisoned?).

I was pretty stingy with flags with crystal drakes, on the grounds that shards is a strongish element and they get their final form quite early. The speed is an error, though; other dragons all get intrinsic speed in their last form so I should have (and meant to) give GCD intrinsic speed gain too. Their intrinsic AC is also wonky and should be much higher.

Do you think I should give them FA? All the mono-element dragons get it, but law and chaos drakes don't.. it's available as a ring and on Dwarven armor as well as some other artifacts, but like you said that's pretty limited.

I like the golem idea a lot! They're definitely going on the list.
Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzkill (Post 47383)
0.6.3 Ammo loaded into the quiver doesn't show up on the equipment list.

... critiquing the Lich (so far, DL's 1-10)

a) ring of Ice (activation) makes him too powerful, maybe an ICE_BRAND instead if that's the point of it.
b) with all the ranged spells, does he really need a launcher slot?
c) does he really need to eat food for sustenance. Some sort of vampiric drain seems more fitting.

Yeah, I had thought that the quiver bug was just hydras, but it looks like it's everyone. You can see what's in the quiver by looking at the inventory.. sometimes.

I'm not sure what the point of the ice ring was.. it's a carryover from Pos. Maybe just to give him a fast start? Or easy access to double-resistance for cold (no longer applicable)?

I've never really thought about launcher slots, just always included it with melee slots.. now that I think about it a lich using a bow is a little strange sounding. I should probably take it away from Xs too; it's tough to imagine their huge claws holding a short bow.

Special ways of eating (like basilisks eating statues) is on the to-do list but it's after summoning and questing.
Quote:

Originally Posted by qwerty (Post 47393)
I've noticed the ammo problem as well.
Any ammo loaded into quiver isn't seen on screen but can be selected using the right letter (n I think) so you can still fire or drop it etc. It just makes it more difficult to keep track of what ammo you are holding.

Sorry about that.. but welcome to the oook forums!

buzzkill January 22, 2011 23:12

Repeat command 'n' bug

Pressing 'n' will not repeat any 'U' (special ability) command. Worse yet, instead of doing nothing, it repeats the command before it.

Arjen January 23, 2011 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by pampl (Post 47399)
I was pretty stingy with flags with crystal drakes, on the grounds that shards is a strongish element and they get their final form quite early. The speed is an error, though; other dragons all get intrinsic speed in their last form so I should have (and meant to) give GCD intrinsic speed gain too. Their intrinsic AC is also wonky and should be much higher.

Do you think I should give them FA? All the mono-element dragons get it, but law and chaos drakes don't.. it's available as a ring and on Dwarven armor as well as some other artifacts, but like you said that's pretty limited.

I wouldn't give them FA, it makes them a bit harder without it. And why does a crystal drake not evolve in a Great Crystal Wyrm? Because it's too strong? But the boost in AC and speed would make them a bit easier at higher levels. Getting AC is hard if you have only 3 armor slots.

Ow and i opened my lvl 50 Hydra player, and suddenly it's a 4-headed hydra. :) And he lost a lot of equipment who were on head 5 to 11.

pampl January 24, 2011 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzkill (Post 47401)
Pressing 'n' will not repeat any 'U' (special ability) command. Worse yet, instead of doing nothing, it repeats the command before it.

That's a known bug I should have documented better. Sorry about that. I've looked at fixing it but the command queue is hard to understand.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjen (Post 47436)
I wouldn't give them FA, it makes them a bit harder without it. And why does a crystal drake not evolve in a Great Crystal Wyrm? Because it's too strong? But the boost in AC and speed would make them a bit easier at higher levels. Getting AC is hard if you have only 3 armor slots.

Ow and i opened my lvl 50 Hydra player, and suddenly it's a 4-headed hydra. :) And he lost a lot of equipment who were on head 5 to 11.

I think GCW are new monsters and I just forgot about them. They aren't too strong, so I'll add them right now.

Weird stuff happens to savefiles from previous versions.. I should probably set up savefile version checking so that it just doesn't allow them, instead of silently mutating them. That's assuming your hydra's from before .6.3, otherwise that's a really bad bug.

Arjen January 24, 2011 23:38

I think my hydra is from an older version as it's a bit older character i stop playing because he was a kinda of indestructible with his high AC.

emulord January 25, 2011 17:44

I kinda think Hydra's 11 head and amulet slots is overkill. Probably alternating gaining a head and an amulet slot is enough.

2Headed = 1 amulet, 1 head
3 = 1 a, 2 h
4 = 2 a, 2 h
and so on
11 = 5 a, 6 h

Still enough to equip every kind of great amulet and helmet.

Derakon January 25, 2011 20:59

How do natural attacks work right now? I noticed that the lich character in the competition has 3 natural touch attacks, but how do I see how much damage they do?

pampl January 25, 2011 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by emulord (Post 47548)
I kinda think Hydra's 11 head and amulet slots is overkill. Probably alternating gaining a head and an amulet slot is enough.

2Headed = 1 amulet, 1 head
3 = 1 a, 2 h
4 = 2 a, 2 h
and so on
11 = 5 a, 6 h

Still enough to equip every kind of great amulet and helmet.

Like you say, that wouldn't stop hydras from equipping all the best helmets and amulets, so it wouldn't really effect balance much. The big issues are just AC and display bugs and I still hope to be able to fix them without making the hydras less multiheaded.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Derakon (Post 47555)
How do natural attacks work right now? I noticed that the lich character in the competition has 3 natural touch attacks, but how do I see how much damage they do?

They're pulled from the monster's data, then if they have a special effect (like reducing DEX in the case of the lich) they're generally multiplied by two, mutually exclusive with other branding*. So the lich should have four attacks, two of which do no damage (but can still cause fear, IIRC) and two of which do (2d8x2) + your to-dam bonus, or (2d8x3) + to-dam bonus if you leave the ring of ice on. If it's an elemental attack, like five-headed hydras' poison bites, that damage is then split in half and half is done physically. That part isn't really applicable to liches though, who (should) always do two non-damaging touches to drain charges/xp, and two physical attacks to reduce DEX.

*On reflection, it makes more game-logic sense for them to be additive rather than mutually exclusive, but I think V is going to be changing off-weapon branding soon anyways so I'll worry about it later.

buzzkill January 26, 2011 01:49

Crash bug

1 Attachment(s)
RePos 6.3, savefile attached.

A move in any direction will trigger an immediate crash. I have no idea what's causing it. The only odd thing is that all of my destroyed items reappeared on the floor upon reload.

This is my narrowly surviving comp 98 character, so a (quick) fix would be appreciated.

pampl January 26, 2011 01:55

Not sure what's causing it (yet), but if you can avoid crashing by dropping your quiver contents. Picking them up again and even wielding them doesn't seem to cause it to crash again though, which is confusing.

thapper January 27, 2011 18:05

Playing competition 98 I noticed that the lich had three or four blows barehanded from the start. Coupled with the inherited ring of ice it is a good offense and much better than any light weapon where I only get 1 blow anyway.

Is it intended? Can I see somewhere how much damage I do barehanded? Will I get more blows if I get stronger/more dexterous?

Derakon January 27, 2011 18:41

I just asked about that on the previous page. :) The lich gets his attacks from monster.txt, apparently, with any attacks that have special attributes that don't apply to monsters (e.g. drain-stat or drain-charges) getting a damage bonus. As a bog-standard lich that means two nondamaging blows and two 2d8 blows right from the start, so if you're going to use melee a lot (and with that ring of ice, why wouldn't you?), weapons are a bad idea early on.

Presumably more STR/DEX will improve his blows with a weapon, but only leveling up and getting a more powerful form will improve his inherent attacks.

buzzkill January 28, 2011 02:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by pampl (Post 47567)
Not sure what's causing it (yet), but if you can avoid crashing by dropping your quiver contents. Picking them up again and even wielding them doesn't seem to cause it to crash again though, which is confusing.

I did manage to get it to crash again repeatedly (after drop and wield). It finally stopped happening after pseudo-ID occurred. Maybe pseudo occurring in the quiver was the problem. That's my best guess, and all I have to offer.

GF_ARROW January 28, 2011 15:08

There is a bug in line #490 of attack.c
Replace the ! with a ~ to allow half-damage of elemental attacks.

GF_ARROW January 28, 2011 15:24

I've also fixed a possible bug involving damage multiplier in the block of code in line #414 of attack.c

The "fixed" code is

Code:

if (best_s_ptr != NULL)
{
  if (best_s_ptr->mult > mul)
  {
    p = best_s_ptr->melee_verb;
    mul = best_s_ptr->mult;          // CHANGED!

if (best_s_ptr->resist_flag == RF_IM_ACID)
    type = GF_ACID;
  else if (best_s_ptr->resist_flag == RF_IM_ELEC)
    type = GF_ELEC;
  else if (best_s_ptr->resist_flag == RF_IM_FIRE)
    type = GF_FIRE;
  else if (best_s_ptr->resist_flag == RF_IM_COLD)
    type = GF_COLD;
  else if (best_s_ptr->resist_flag == RF_IM_POIS)
    type = GF_POIS;
  }
  // REMOVED "else" BRANCH
}
k *= mul; // ALWAYS APPLY MULTIPLIER

thapper January 28, 2011 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derakon (Post 47636)
I just asked about that on the previous page. :)

Oops, I completely missed that. Thanks for the explanation! I guess seeing what damage you do with barehanded attacks is for future versions then.

buzzkill January 28, 2011 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by thapper (Post 47687)
Oops, I completely missed that. Thanks for the explanation! I guess seeing what damage you do with barehanded attacks is for future versions then.

It could be as simple as putting a) barehanded attack in the equipment list (when no weapon is wielded). Then I)nspecting it could provide info.

bulian January 28, 2011 17:34

Decided to give RePos and the competition guy a try. He's pretty fun so far though I'm on DL3. The @ gets some pretty sick gear to start with.

I've run into a couple issues so far... the quiver issue has already been reported, but not for the throw command. You can throw items by pessing the correct letter but they do not show up when pressing 'v.'

Also, it would be great if the list of powers was automatically shown each time. Lastly, the 8x13 font does not display correctly using windows XP.

bulian January 28, 2011 18:10

Just found a new monster type - water wapor. Should be vapor

pampl January 28, 2011 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by bulian (Post 47692)

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzkill (Post 47661)
Maybe pseudo occurring in the quiver was the problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GF_ARROW (Post 47679)
I've also fixed a possible bug involving damage multiplier in the block of code in line #414 of attack.c

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzkill (Post 47688)
It could be as simple as putting a) barehanded attack in the equipment list (when no weapon is wielded). Then I)nspecting it could provide info.

Thanks for the bug finding/fixing/solution ideas, you guys :) Welcome to oook, GF_ARROW!
Quote:

Originally Posted by bulian (Post 47690)
I've run into a couple issues so far... the quiver issue has already been reported, but not for the throw command. You can throw items by pessing the correct letter but they do not show up when pressing 'v.'

Also, it would be great if the list of powers was automatically shown each time. Lastly, the 8x13 font does not display correctly using windows XP.

Yeah, I don't think the quiver shows up for any command..
Showing the list of powers each time should be an easy change.
Passing the buck here, but IIRC there are some problems with 8x13 font and Windows XP in Vanilla.. what kind of display problem is it, and have you seen it happen in V?

pampl January 28, 2011 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by GF_ARROW (Post 47678)
There is a bug in line #490 of attack.c
Replace the ! with a ~ to allow half-damage of elemental attacks.

Actually, I'm kind of curious about this one.. did this
Code:

if (type != GF_ARROW)
                                {
                                        project(-1, 0, y, x, (k + 1)/2, type, flg);
                                        /* Make the physical portion TOP SECRET -Simon */
                                        flg &= !(PROJECT_AWARE);
                                        project(-1, 0, y, x, k/2, GF_ARROW, flg);
                                }
                                else
                                        project(-1, 0, y, x, k, type, flg);

turn off all the flags before projecting?

camlost January 28, 2011 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by pampl (Post 47704)
Code:

if (type != GF_ARROW)
                                {
                                        flg &= !(PROJECT_AWARE);
                                }
                                else

It looks to me like the code should be fine.

!(PROJECT_AWARE) should look something like 111111011111 so &=ing should only remove that one flag like the code seems to indicate it should. Presumably he only wants one bolt to appear even though it actually projects two separate bolts.

An alternate approach would be to split out the damage with a new type flag instead.

Nick January 28, 2011 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by bulian (Post 47692)

IIRC the original Pos had these, spelt the same. Doesn't mean it was intentional ;)

molotov January 28, 2011 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by bulian (Post 47690)
Lastly, the 8x13 font does not display correctly using windows XP.

I get this problem too. Floor tiles show up as white rectangles, as do walls. This makes it very difficult to distinguish between the two, and makes adventures in the dungeon very tedious until the font is changed to something else (I do this every time I start a new install of RePos).

buzzkill January 30, 2011 19:31

RePos 6.3 playing with the comp lich.

The nether bolt is fairly useless because of it's high mana cost and everything seems to resist it.

A young red dragon resists it, should it? It doesn't show as resisting nether in the monster memory. As a matter of fact, I think that everything may resist both nether bolt and the death orb. I'm afraid to try it any more.

Pete Mack January 30, 2011 19:47

All evil monsters resist nether to some degree.

pampl January 30, 2011 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by camlost (Post 47705)
It looks to me like the code should be fine.

!(PROJECT_AWARE) should look something like 111111011111 so &=ing should only remove that one flag like the code seems to indicate it should. Presumably he only wants one bolt to appear even though it actually projects two separate bolts.

An alternate approach would be to split out the damage with a new type flag instead.

Doesn't the non-bitwise ! operator just evaluate 11etc as being true and return false?

Quote:

Originally Posted by molotov (Post 47707)
I get this problem too. Floor tiles show up as white rectangles, as do walls. This makes it very difficult to distinguish between the two, and makes adventures in the dungeon very tedious until the font is changed to something else (I do this every time I start a new install of RePos).

Alright, I'll check it out.
Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzkill (Post 47847)
RePos 6.3 playing with the comp lich.

The nether bolt is fairly useless because of it's high mana cost and everything seems to resist it.

A young red dragon resists it, should it? It doesn't show as resisting nether in the monster memory. As a matter of fact, I think that everything may resist both nether bolt and the death orb. I'm afraid to try it any more.

I don't use it much either, so I've reduced the mana cost. It does (player level - 9)d8 so presumably at high levels it's a decent little attack, but at high levels it also doesn't matter much if it costs 7 mana or 3 mana. It looks like it's supposed to be the lich's main attack spell as well so it should be pretty good.

zaimoni January 31, 2011 04:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by pampl (Post 47704)
Code:

if (type != GF_ARROW)
                                {
                                        flg &= !(PROJECT_AWARE);
                                }
                                else

Yes. As already noted, problem is using logical-not ! rather than bitwise complement ~; it should read

Code:

flg &= ~(PROJECT_AWARE);

buzzkill February 11, 2011 03:38

What's the deal?

RePos 6.3 - competition lich character.

My SP seems to have maxed out at 337. INT is 18/197 and I can add more, but adding more doesn't increase my SP any. What's the deal?

pampl February 11, 2011 04:05

Looking at tables.c, INT/WIS stop adding mana at 18/180... that seems pretty low to me, but it's that way in the nightlies too so it's not a Repos change. Min fail rate maxes at 18/200 and fail rate adjustment (not important for monsters atm) maxes at 220, so there's still value in adding to it, but it does seem strange that it stops giving mana so low.

buzzkill February 11, 2011 04:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by pampl (Post 48439)
Looking at tables.c, INT/WIS stop adding mana at 18/180... that seems pretty low to me, but it's that way in the nightlies too so it's not a Repos change. Min fail rate maxes at 18/200 and fail rate adjustment (not important for monsters atm) maxes at 220, so there's still value in adding to it, but it does seem strange that it stops giving mana so low.

Thanks for the info. I've never had a caster that has been this successful before. I just assumed that every point of INT up to 18/*** added more SP.

pampl February 11, 2011 20:57

New version up. Just bugfixes and balancing though. Savefile compatible unless you're an Umber Hulk.. they lost their missile weapon slot. Innate elemental melee should now correctly do half physical damage, the quiver will now display, ice ogres have been made less weak. Other minor changes I think... need to start documenting my changes better. I was hoping to put this release off until 3.2.1 but now that the competition is (almost) over I might as well release it.

jevansau February 13, 2011 23:28

Hi,

I've tried the 0.6.4 version (using a savefile from 0.6.3) but I still can't see the contents of the quiver. Character is a lesser Balrog.

Regards,
Jonathan

GF_ARROW February 14, 2011 16:18

The K directive of Greater Basilisk seems bogus. Great variant! I'm enyoing playing a balrog right now.

pampl February 16, 2011 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by jevansau (Post 48667)
Hi,

I've tried the 0.6.4 version (using a savefile from 0.6.3) but I still can't see the contents of the quiver. Character is a lesser Balrog.

Regards,
Jonathan

It should be displaying all the quiver. Can you attach your savefile?
Quote:

Originally Posted by GF_ARROW (Post 48684)
The K directive of Greater Basilisk seems bogus. Great variant! I'm enyoing playing a balrog right now.

Good catch, and thanks :)

RePosBand 0.6.5 is up, with basilisks no longer having a nonsensical king and passwall being changed so that monsters will still try to hit you with spells while you're in the wall. You can be hit, too, if you're standing on a wall but there aren't any walls between you and the monster. This should keep passwall viable for retreating without also rendering you invulnerable to breath weapons etc.

https://github.com/downloads/simongr...nd%200.6.5.rar

jevansau February 17, 2011 00:06

Hi,

No need to post the savefile I think - the quiver works perfectly with 0.6.5.

Thanks for your work on this - great variant.

Regards,
Jonathan

andrewdoull February 17, 2011 04:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adley (Post 46050)
Tunnel a square of granite once inside. Perfect resting place.

Disallow tunnelling unless there is an empty space next to you. Otherwise, where do you put the rubble?

Andrew

Derakon February 17, 2011 05:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewdoull (Post 48789)
Disallow tunnelling unless there is an empty space next to you. Otherwise, where do you put the [s]rubble[/s]spoil?

Clearly it just automatically gets squelched. Unfortunately a bug prevents spoil from getting listed in the squelch settings menu so you can't unsquelch it.

jevansau March 22, 2011 23:11

Killed Gothmog with a Balrog and got the blessing and special artifact.
Unfortunately, after save and restore the artifact has lost all of its special properties except the permanent curse. Glad it wasn't worn :).
I do have the savefile if it would be of use.

Napsterbater March 23, 2011 05:41

Killed Bullroarer the Hobbit as a crystal drake, he dropped not only the Gauntlets of Bullroarer, but the Dagger, Natharc, neither of which I can use. Great game, btw, loads of fun.

Smeagol gave me the Gauntlets of Paurhach.

jevansau March 28, 2011 01:23

Just had the same problem with the dog collar losing its pval properties after save and reload. Are other people seeing this issue?
I do have randarts turned on so it could be related to that.
Is source available? If so, I might have a go at debugging it myself.

Nick March 28, 2011 02:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by jevansau (Post 50261)
JIs source available? If so, I might have a go at debugging it myself.

Source is here.

Zikke April 3, 2011 04:36

Shoot, I voted for the wrong answer and can't change it. >_<

My favorite part of PosBand from all the way back was by far the summoning. :D

Therem Harth August 28, 2011 20:17

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I'm trying to play RePosBand and two things have come up:

1. Saving the game doesn't work. No error message, but the ~/.angband directory is not created, and in general nothing happens when you try to save. Can anyone help me with this?

2. Just thought I ought to mention that RePosBand will not compile on Debian unless you specify -std=c99 in Makefile.std. Maybe that should be there by default?

ghengiz January 8, 2012 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Therem Harth (Post 59252)
Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I'm trying to play RePosBand and two things have come up:

1. Saving the game doesn't work. No error message, but the ~/.angband directory is not created, and in general nothing happens when you try to save. Can anyone help me with this?

have you tried to manually create "~/.angband/Reposband/save" ?
it could be necessary to edit config.h to use PRIVATE_USER_PATH and/or USE_PRIVATE_PATH, and h-basic.h to define SET_UID (it's ok on *nix).
of course you should recompile after modifing the files :)