Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Why do Mages drop Priest books and vice-versa? (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=7194)

Ingwe Ingweron February 11, 2015 13:11

Why do Mages drop Priest books and vice-versa?
 
It seems strange to me when mages are dropping priest books and priests are dropping mage books. Shouldn't they be dropping books appropriate to their class when they drop books?

Rydel February 11, 2015 14:08

Same reason warriors drop both and the reason that Wormtongue isn't more likely to drop his boots than any other monster with the same number of drops; there isn't code for monsters being more likely to drop specific things, or even associate that those things would be related. The game doesn't even see any relation between the Mage player class and Mage enemies.

I suppose it may be possible to add an additional edit file that includes relationships between items and enemies, though it would have to be rather long for a very small change in gameplay.

Nick February 11, 2015 20:54

Actually, in 3.5.1 there is code to do this, and it's specifically used for mage and priest books - see the "drop:" lines in monster.txt. If it's not working, I don't think that's intentional.

Timo Pietilš February 12, 2015 08:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 98829)
Actually, in 3.5.1 there is code to do this, and it's specifically used for mage and priest books - see the "drop:" lines in monster.txt. If it's not working, I don't think that's intentional.

I think that is there for future because chance min max seems to be 1% for every entry. No-one probably have had time to properly balance that.

Also I don't think it makes less likely for them them drop other items (directly), just a bit more likely to have their associated books in the drop.

Nick February 12, 2015 09:57

It is actually operational in 3.5.1; the min and max you're quoting are for the number to drop, but there is also a percentage chance for the drop to happen (eg 5% for an Acolyte to drop Beginners Handbook).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš (Post 98834)
Also I don't think it makes less likely for them them drop other items (directly), just a bit more likely to have their associated books in the drop.

This is exactly correct.

Timo Pietilš February 12, 2015 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 98838)
It is actually operational in 3.5.1; the min and max you're quoting are for the number to drop, but there is also a percentage chance for the drop to happen (eg 5% for an Acolyte to drop Beginners Handbook).

Darned work keeps interfering... Of course, I don't know what I was thinking with those min / max, now that read the monster.txt again that's obvious.

Person does odd things when thought pattern is interrupted.

dstyle February 14, 2015 06:53

the same reason you'll find 5 copies of ethereal openings before one copy of mordenaiken's if you're a mage (or vice versa if you're a priest)..maybe they have the same bad luck that we do :D

Magnate February 14, 2015 08:52

I managed to write a half-decent set of drop profile functions for Pyrel, which lets you say exactly what any given monster can or cannot drop. If Pyrel isn't going to see the light of day, I might port them back to V ...


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:56.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.