Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Variants (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Zangband - Classes (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=8361)

Red Sky Grishka April 21, 2017 18:06

Zangband - Classes
 
While playing Zandband, I've started out as a barbarian chaos-warrior. Does this seem alright and also, what's the best class throughout the game?

Derakon April 21, 2017 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Sky Grishka (Post 120223)
While playing Zandband, I've started out as a barbarian chaos-warrior. Does this seem alright and also, what's the best class throughout the game?

ZAngband? Man, that takes me back.

Probably the best class is Mindcrafter; they get a bunch of insanely cheap and highly versatile spells, including a targeted teleport spell, a spell that stuns enemies, and a spell that hurts all enemies in LOS. However, they have a weak start since they're bad at melee and their starting attack spell only hurts intelligent enemies (and thus works poorly on the rats, snakes, worms, etc. that infest the early levels).

Failing that, Chaos Warrior is pretty good; mutations are usually beneficial and can be ridiculously good (like getting an innate +4 STR or INT), and the Chaos realm has several good spells in it. Try playing a Beastman Chaos Warrior for maximum mutation-y fun.

Hybrid classes in general are mostly pretty good, honestly. If you want to go mage, Chaos/Sorcery is probably the most reliable realm combination.

If you want to ignore spells, the golem race is absurdly good, with amazing stats and good intrinsics.

johnretroreload February 5, 2018 18:33

Class combo's - Thats class
 
I started on this game over 20 years ago in the dos days. The variety of quests, monsters, uniques and difficulty still inspire today
Z+ANGBAND

Since the beginning I've been a Ranger suiting my personality from D&D V3.
Also Chaos/Nature magic was always a nice balance and EXP Gains.

CyclopsSlayer February 5, 2018 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derakon (Post 120225)
ZAngband? Man, that takes me back.

Probably the best class is Mindcrafter; they get a bunch of insanely cheap and highly versatile spells, including a targeted teleport spell, a spell that stuns enemies, and a spell that hurts all enemies in LOS. However, they have a weak start since they're bad at melee and their starting attack spell only hurts intelligent enemies (and thus works poorly on the rats, snakes, worms, etc. that infest the early levels).

Once you learned to never use Domination, at all, EVER, Mindcrafters were almost Easy_Mode. ;)

Derakon February 5, 2018 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyclopsSlayer (Post 127822)
Once you learned to never use Domination, at all, EVER, Mindcrafters were almost Easy_Mode. ;)

Is that the charm spell? Use it on Warriors of the Dawn or whatever they're called (the ones that keep resurrecting when you kill them), and then dismiss them. Way easier than trying to kill or avoid them.

CyclopsSlayer February 5, 2018 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derakon (Post 127823)
Is that the charm spell? Use it on Warriors of the Dawn or whatever they're called (the ones that keep resurrecting when you kill them), and then dismiss them. Way easier than trying to kill or avoid them.

Yeah that is the Charm AoE, that also backfires if you catch targets with too high a level, intelligence, are a unique, demon, undead, etc... The Backfires can damage, stun, confuse, pretty much every status disability.
Killed more than a few of my Mindcrafters with that... :D

jupiter999 February 6, 2018 02:00

Is the any latest news on ZAngband? Or any replacement?
Really curious about it...

CyclopsSlayer February 6, 2018 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by jupiter999 (Post 127826)
Is the any latest news on ZAngband? Or any replacement?
Really curious about it...

The closest actively maintained would likely be
PosChengBand which is Zang + a whole lotta stuff.
ComPosBand which is a variant fork of PosChengBand. Undoes some recent PCB changes and adds ones of its own.
Zangband+ has been inactive since 2010.

jupiter999 February 7, 2018 01:01

Thanks CyclopsSlayer, at least I'm not outdated at least :p

wobbly February 14, 2018 19:35

I noticed when we had the z-comp that a ghoul had a fail rate for eating. Pretty hilarious.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 18:40.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.