Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Variants (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Looking for variant with strong endgame mages (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=6847)

mewmew July 21, 2014 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by krazyhades (Post 93922)
(no such thing as Fireball in Tolkein world, for example).

Hm, actually...

"I killed a goblin or two with a flash" - it's from "Hobbit". He used some fire magic in LoTR too.

IMO Sil went too far with their songs, obviously there was other magic too except songs, even some kind of, well, fireballs.

LostTemplar July 26, 2014 00:26

In LOTR mages were definitely powerfull, even without fireballs.

Therem Harth July 26, 2014 01:04

Gandalf was a Maia traveling incognito though. Also specifically a Maia in the service of Aule, who is associated with fire, forges, volcanoes, etc. The pyrotechnics go with the territory.

Anyway it's been a while since I read any of the Silmarillion; but the most striking example of magic that I recall from it was Eol's charm on Aredhel, which IIRC was basically mind control. Likewise Luthien's (less creepy, still powerful) spell of sleep against Morgoth. I think Sil got it right, insofar as most Elven magic seemed to work on a psychological rather than physical level.

(Like I said though, it's been a while.)

T-Mick July 26, 2014 02:24

The best magics, as far as I remember, were Luthien's song at Sauron's tower, which undid all of Sauron's magic and blew up the tower, and Melian's active guarding of Doriath, which, if I recall, was in constant conflict with Morgoth or Sauron's magical attacks.

Gandalf supposedly killed a few goblins with a flash of light. I usually like to think that it was just a stray lightning, which was attributed to Gandalf.

mewmew July 26, 2014 06:05

If stray lightnings hit when and where you want them to hit, does it matter if somebody refuse causality there because he doesn't understand the mechanics of the process :p

Estie July 26, 2014 06:13

ToME2 sorceror might be what you are looking for. Of the variants I know, thats the one with most powerful mages compared to other types.

Amnekian August 20, 2014 23:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerWyrm (Post 93936)
It's more or less based on the ToME2 class, so you could try that variant too.

How's ToME2 compared to ToME4? A completely different game?

mrrstark August 20, 2014 23:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnekian (Post 94941)
How's ToME2 compared to ToME4? A completely different game?

Totally different

HugoVirtuoso August 21, 2014 00:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estie (Post 94349)
ToME2 sorceror might be what you are looking for. Of the variants I know, thats the one with most powerful mages compared to other types.

PosChengband's Sorcerers are decently powerful, too, though not nearly as broken as ToME2.

Amnekian August 21, 2014 00:10

Either I'm a moron or I can't find tome2 anywhere! Help?