Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   AAR (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   memorable randarts (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=3486)

fph April 20, 2011 21:39

Checking the randart spoiler after my last char died, and found this interesting combo:
Code:

The Light Crossbow 'Olach' (x6) (+7,+29) <+3>
---------------------------------------------
 +3 wisdom, constitution, charisma, shooting power.
 Slays undead, demons.
 Branded with acid.
 Provides immunity to fire, cold.
 Provides resistance to lightning, poison, dark.
 Provides protection from fear.
 Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.
 Slows your metabolism.  Speeds regeneration.  Aggravates creatures nearby. 
 

Min Level 58, Max Level 127, Generation chance 1, Power 354, 11.0 lbs

Code:

The Red Dragon Scale Mail of Ragorith (-2) [24,+26] <+2>
--------------------------------------------------------
 +2 strength, shooting speed.
 Provides resistance to fire.
 Provides protection from blindness.
 Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.
 

Min Level 64, Max Level 127, Generation chance 6, Power 403, 16.0 lbs

Ouch. Incidentally, there was also a helm with +1 shooting speed in the set. I thought that in more recent versions getting +2 shots from a non-shooter was impossible, but... this is ra42bd6-whatever, the nightly from April 14.

Magnate April 20, 2011 21:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by fph (Post 51606)
I thought that in more recent versions getting +2 shots from a non-shooter was impossible, but... this is ra42bd6-whatever, the nightly from April 14.

Interesting - thanks for the report. I'll have to check. I won't be "fixing" randarts for a while though, because I'm working on a complete rewrite.

Estie April 22, 2011 01:57

The Quarterstaff of Drondin (1d9) (+13,+10) (+11)
Dropped by Draebor, the Imp at 3150 feet (level 63).

+11 speed.
Provides resistance to confusion.
Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.


A priests wet dream, and hence only to be found by non-priests. My paladin had no use for it, alas.

Taha April 23, 2011 15:34

Code:

The Pike of Hundann (6d5) (+23,+34) [+44] <+3>
    Dropped by an Elder vampire at 4350 feet (level 87).
   
    +3 dexterity, constitution, charisma, stealth, infravision, attack
    speed.
    Slays animals, evil creatures, undead, orcs, trolls, giants.
    *Slays* dragons, demons.
    Branded with weak acid, lightning, flames, frost, venom.
    Provides immunity to cold.
    Provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, poison, light, dark,
    sound, nexus, nether, chaos, disenchantment.
    Provides protection from fear, confusion.
    Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.
    Sustains strength, intelligence, wisdom, dexterity, constitution,
    charisma.
    Blessed by the gods.  Slows your metabolism.  Feather Falling.
    Speeds regeneration.  Prevents paralysis.  Grants the ability to
    see invisible things.  Aggravates creatures nearby. 
   
    When aimed, it creates a large lightning ball with damage 250.

I posted about another amazing weapon on the acquirement thread, since that is where it came from. But this is better, even with a slight damage drop vs evil. The crossbow is also special, but no extra shots to compete with the weapon damage, and +13 speed artifact boots aren't bad either.
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=11324
________
2Bestpussy4U

Timo Pietilš April 23, 2011 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taha (Post 51870)
Code:

The Pike of Hundann (6d5) (+23,+34) [+44] <+3>
    Dropped by an Elder vampire at 4350 feet (level 87).
   
    +3 dexterity, constitution, charisma, stealth, infravision, attack
    speed.
    Slays animals, evil creatures, undead, orcs, trolls, giants.
    *Slays* dragons, demons.
    Branded with weak acid, lightning, flames, frost, venom.
    Provides immunity to cold.
    Provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, poison, light, dark,
    sound, nexus, nether, chaos, disenchantment.
    Provides protection from fear, confusion.
    Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.
    Sustains strength, intelligence, wisdom, dexterity, constitution,
    charisma.
    Blessed by the gods.  Slows your metabolism.  Feather Falling.
    Speeds regeneration.  Prevents paralysis.  Grants the ability to
    see invisible things.  Aggravates creatures nearby. 
   
    When aimed, it creates a large lightning ball with damage 250.

I posted about another amazing weapon on the acquirement thread, since that is where it came from. But this is better, even with a slight damage drop vs evil. The crossbow is also special, but no extra shots to compete with the weapon damage, and +13 speed artifact boots aren't bad either.
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=11324

+3 blows big-dice huge to_dam, branded with all elements + slay evil and kill dragons and demons???? That's insane weapon, though it does aggravate and IIRC that other one you had didn't.

Nothing in vanilla angband weapons comes close to that. What is it based on? Massive iron crown of Morgoth?? I'd say randarts are broken again.

Magnate April 23, 2011 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš (Post 51880)
+3 blows big-dice huge to_dam, branded with all elements + slay evil and kill dragons and demons???? That's insane weapon, though it does aggravate and IIRC that other one you had didn't.

Nothing in vanilla angband weapons comes close to that. What is it based on? Massive iron crown of Morgoth?? I'd say randarts are broken again.

He's playing 3.2.0, and it's not the randart generator that's broken, it's the object power algorithm not attaching enough weight to extra blows or to multiple brands, slays or resists. This unfortunately means that very good artifact armours can turn into over-powerful randart weapons, and I presume it was based on Bladeturner, since that's the most powerful standart.

I am confident that such a weapon would now rate as far more powerful than Bladeturner, and thus can no longer be generated.

camlost April 23, 2011 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnate (Post 51882)
He's playing 3.2.0, and it's not the randart generator that's broken, it's the object power algorithm not attaching enough weight to extra blows or to multiple brands, slays or resists. This unfortunately means that very good artifact armours can turn into over-powerful randart weapons, and I presume it was based on Bladeturner, since that's the most powerful standart.

I am confident that such a weapon would now rate as far more powerful than Bladeturner, and thus can no longer be generated.

Everytime something uber-powerful shows up, there's supposition on it's "origin", any reason not to include it for players to see?

Taha April 23, 2011 18:36

I am playing the latest nightly from Apr. 17th. Started a fresh character after downloading. So everything there is from the latest and greatest...

Note the weak acid brand, which is relatively new in the nightlies. I don't mind it being weakened, but the message "you weakly corrode..." is just silly. And to have it on something that also slays evil is fairly useless, as it is now exactly the same damage as slay evil.

Aggravate is on this weapon and was not on the other, but the tradeoffs are more than worthwhile. Its not like I'm sneaking around the dungeon avoiding stuff with either weapon.
________
WEB SHOWS

Magnate April 23, 2011 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by camlost (Post 51895)
Everytime something uber-powerful shows up, there's supposition on it's "origin", any reason not to include it for players to see?

Not at all. I'll add it to the spoiler.

Magnate April 23, 2011 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taha (Post 51896)
I am playing the latest nightly from Apr. 17th. Started a fresh character after downloading. So everything there is from the latest and greatest...

That's troubling on two counts. First, your ladder dump says "3.2.0" - I presume you're playing on Windows, and the autobuilder script isn't picking up the git hash properly. Second, the issue of Bladeturner turning into sick weapons is obviously not solved. Please could you post or send me the randart.log file for this game?
Quote:

Note the weak acid brand, which is relatively new in the nightlies. I don't mind it being weakened, but the message "you weakly corrode..." is just silly.
Suggestions for improvement always welcome. I couldn't think of a synonym for corrode at the time.
Quote:

And to have it on something that also slays evil is fairly useless, as it is now exactly the same damage as slay evil.
But not all non-acid-resistant creatures are evil, so it's not useless at all in that particular context.
Quote:

Aggravate is on this weapon and was not on the other, but the tradeoffs are more than worthwhile. Its not like I'm sneaking around the dungeon avoiding stuff with either weapon.
Indeed. That weapon is way too powerful, and should not be possible even from Bladeturner. That's why I need to see the log file to work out where the bug is. I have a suspicion that it's not counting the multiple resists/brands/slays properly.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:32.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.