Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Variants (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   FAAngband (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=5832)

dhegler December 30, 2012 16:49

FAAngband

I have started playing this for a few weeks now and I have to say that it is a great change from vanilla. The various items that you can find and the options for squelching, etc are all very neat.

But, I just found my first "graveyard", and it actually looked like a graveyard! And, the various terrains are really cool too. The only thing I am annoyed with is all the variations of rings and amulets, etc that I need to continually identify. Maybe I will find a mass identify staff or something eventually, but it kind of sucks to clear a pit and spend 10 minutes sorting through loot, although the squelching works relatively well for that.

Anyway, just wanted to thank the FAAngband guy for the variant!!!

Nick December 30, 2012 21:57

Glad you're enjoying - a lot of the credit goes to the Oangband developers Leon Marrick and Bahman Rabii.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhegler (Post 76071)
IThe only thing I am annoyed with is all the variations of rings and amulets, etc that I need to continually identify. Maybe I will find a mass identify staff or something eventually, but it kind of sucks to clear a pit and spend 10 minutes sorting through loot, although the squelching works relatively well for that.

Yes, I take your point. Rings and amulets are really like mini randarts - the names are the theme around which they're built, rather than being prescriptive. As far as identifying goes, Rods of Perception should be earlier and more common than in most variants; I usually end up with a stack of those.

Mondkalb December 31, 2012 08:50

I actually enjoy the variety of rings and amulets. It adds a bit of surprise and suspense to the game and gives some opportunities for juggling with the equipment.
It is also not uncommon to get a piece of jewlry with activation for identify.

Qyx January 2, 2013 23:07

Torch radius 1 or 2?

I suspect it's a typo in the store where it says the torch radius is 2?

Nick January 3, 2013 02:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qyx (Post 76109)
I suspect it's a typo in the store where it says the torch radius is 2?

Oops, yes. Should be 1.

Qyx January 3, 2013 03:58

Pick pocket?

Okay, next question, how do I pick pocket? (Couldn't find it in the command list, but it's in my class specialties...)

Qyx January 3, 2013 04:02

Got it...

I think I got it... same one to set traps...

Qyx January 3, 2013 04:04

P.S. I like setting these traps...

Qyx January 5, 2013 02:20

Starting gold for charisma bug?

Don't know if this is a bug, but it seems strange to me ...

Noticed while adjusting starting stats that if I spent a point on Chr, it would raise the gold by 10, but any more points would decrease the gold. But when I went the other way, decreasing points on Chr, the starting gold decreased until 0...

In other words, for this character, it went like this (while increasing charisma):

Chr: Gold:
12 366
13 376
14 366

But like this when decreasing charisma:

Chr: Gold:
14 366
13 356
12 366

Note the difference at Charisma 13 in the two tables...

Qyx January 5, 2013 08:02

Maddened weasel: typo?

Great creature, by the way...

Should this:

A utterly silent whirlwind of fangs and claws aiming straight for your
jugular.

Be this:

An utterly...

???

kaypy January 6, 2013 06:34

I've been playing the Git head recently, and noticed a few things:

In x-spell.c, around line 1040, the SPELL_RESISTANCE case is missing a break statement. So every resistance spell comes with a free essence of speed.

In flavor.txt, around line 834, a typo in the Crimson potion definition makes it appear white

There is something wacky going on with Adamantite- it acts more like an object than a treasure. (This is with no-selling, which might make a difference)

Oh, and I got a destroyed level where half of a demon pit was destroyed, which was a little odd. "Wow, someone just nuked half the room. I guess we ought to... just chill out right here until someone else comes by."

Is there anything is place to stop stacks of ego throwing weapons from doing terrible, terrible things to the game economy? (In my case, no-selling made the point moot, but its a problem I've seen in a few 'bands)

Qyx January 6, 2013 08:04

Suspect this is a bug (in 1.3.1)?

Was taking off equipment and went over the inventory limit (past 'w'). Additional items appear to have been squelched? They show up in the ctrl-p list as (with the ` character at the end):

You were wearing a Set of Leather Gloves [1,+6] (`).

Should they have been dropped or a warning given possibly instead?

Nick January 6, 2013 12:30

Thanks for all the bugs, guys - I am taking notice. Just slowly.

kaypy January 6, 2013 13:40

I was just digging through the spell code again and got a rather unpleasant surprise:

The descriptions of Channeling and Heighten Magic are incorrect. They should in fact read:
"This ability causes the spell info window to lie to you."

In do_cmd_cast, the spell is confirmed and then play-spell.c/spell_cast is called to handle the actual spell casting.

spell_cast calculates the bonuses and side effects of casting, then calls on x-spell.c/cast_spell to get the actual spell effects.

x-spell is completely oblivious to the bonuses calculated in spell_cast and goes back to using the unmodified player level...

get_spell_info, on the other hand, has its own set of bonus calculations, so it certainly gives the impression that those abilities are helping...

kaypy January 6, 2013 14:26

And another one:

In cave.c/multi_hued_attr you use randint1(BASIC_COLORS) a whole lot. Since randint1 has an inherent +1, this can fall off the end of the color chart resulting in a black on black display.

Nick January 6, 2013 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaypy (Post 76196)
And another one:

In cave.c/multi_hued_attr you use randint1(BASIC_COLORS) a whole lot. Since randint1 has an inherent +1, this can fall off the end of the color chart resulting in a black on black display.

Spoken like someone who could make a fork and submit a bugfix :D

Derakon January 6, 2013 22:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 76204)

Sounds like someone who would rather accept a pull request than manually make a one-character change to the codebase. ;)

Qyx January 7, 2013 00:41

Store pricing oddity...

Bought a staff of teleportation, two in store, ten charges each, avg price reported to be 4900s... but the one I bought was 3713, and the other one resolved to that price as well...

Qyx January 7, 2013 00:43

P.S. Appears to be affecting other staves in groups as well, but not wands ...

Qyx January 7, 2013 01:25

Another oddity, could be I'm doing something wrong here, not sure...

Anyway, sometimes when I walk over arrows I've shot, they get automatically picked up, and other times not. I thought it was based on whether I had that type in the quiver already (i.e. not picked up if I emptied that quiver slot), but sometimes I'm not automatically picking up even when I've got that type in the quiver, so that's not it...

Qyx January 7, 2013 01:27

Maybe I figured that one out... looks like I was up to 'x' in my inventory slots, and it didn't like that. So I dropped something, and then I was automatically picking up the arrows again.

kaypy January 7, 2013 08:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 76204)

Of course the danger with saying that is that you then have to deal with the pull requests 8-)

I've also stuck a tweak to the forests off in a branch, but you probably don't want that.

Nick January 7, 2013 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derakon (Post 76207)
Sounds like someone who would rather accept a pull request than manually make a one-character change to the codebase. ;)

Hey! There were 4.

Nick January 7, 2013 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaypy (Post 76221)
Of course the danger with saying that is that you then have to deal with the pull requests 8-)

Yes, but I can do that without putting my brain into think mode.

Quote:

I've also stuck a tweak to the forests off in a branch, but you probably don't want that.
Looks interesting - how does it play?

Nick January 7, 2013 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qyx (Post 76212)
Store pricing oddity...

Bought a staff of teleportation, two in store, ten charges each, avg price reported to be 4900s... but the one I bought was 3713, and the other one resolved to that price as well...

Yeah, store pricing is a bit dodgy. The pickup thing is probably a bug too - there are definitely some bugs with pickup to do with recognising if the pack is full or not.

kaypy January 7, 2013 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 76223)
Looks interesting - how does it play?

Haven't had much of a chance to test yet, halfway down Tol-In-Gaurhoth right now. I'm hoping not having missile attacks completely crippled will make a second pass at Nan-Dungortheb a little less annoying (I aborted the first before making the patch)

LostTemplar January 8, 2013 13:15

Quote:

having missile attacks completely crippled
This actually makes forest the easyest farmig grounds in the game since all powerfull monster attacks are ranged, while any player class, even mage can have a good melee, also AOE attacks still work in forest, so you can hit a monster two tiles away, e.g. with holy orb, while monster cannot hit you. You can farm time hounds packs, etc with impunity. However this abuse possibly can be removed due to balance reasons.

Qyx January 8, 2013 18:13

Why do some monsters have two health bars? Oh, just thought about it... maybe the second one is mana?

Nick January 8, 2013 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qyx (Post 76264)
Why do some monsters have two health bars? Oh, just thought about it... maybe the second one is mana?

Yep, correct.

Qyx January 13, 2013 20:58

Further to the odd pricing of staves...

Noticed that buying a stack of 7 staves was much cheaper to buy them one at a time.

And a question about ranged combat...

Is there any penalty for using ranged combat against adjacent enemies? (Besides the obvious that they can melee you back?)

kaypy January 17, 2013 14:29

There is a glitch with the item list, where if you have more than 256 items on a level, displaying them all overflows an array and crashes the program. This normally requires getting bloody minded with a dragon pit or similar, but it is doable.

While upping the array bound would probably work, I have a patch on github which will make a bounds check and ensure reasonable behaviour regardless of the number of items.

Oh, and in regards to an earlier topic, my forest patch seems on playthough to be mostly a cosmetic change- tactically I still wound up spamming Word of Destruction to get a preferable fighting area. It might make more of a difference at lower level.

edit:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaypy (Post 76186)
There is something wacky going on with Adamantite- it acts more like an object than a treasure. (This is with no-selling, which might make a difference)

Found what was going on here- that's now up on git too.

Nick January 17, 2013 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaypy (Post 76423)
I have a patch on github which will make a bounds check and ensure reasonable behaviour regardless of the number of items.

(snip)

Found what was going on here- that's now up on git too.

Awesome. When I get around to dev work again, I'll grab those.

Mr Mushroom January 25, 2013 15:30

Started playing FA (1.1.6) about a year ago, got distracted by something (probably O if I'm honest) and thought no more of it. Got the 1.3.1 and I'm loving it!

At first I found it quite difficult and died an awful lot (3 or 4 characters an evening some days) but now I'm settled in a little and getting a little better (dump here) and was wondering if any one would like to give me a bit of advice as to what to do next. I've been moving north through Erid Luin trying not to dive too much as I'm not very good at it ^_^ Am I ready to go do a dungeon yet? I need to get a source of fire and elec resistance but have FA and SI, any others I really need to cover soon?

clouded January 25, 2013 20:08

Amon Rudh starts at depth 15, so if you're already hanging around 20 then it'll be fine to go there. Just be careful on the last floor of dungeons.

What might be a good idea is to turn on autoscum and/or hard-mode and spend a little while in forest/plain areas. There are lots of small vaults with 'h' and 'p' monsters (not too dangerous) and decent loot, so you'd likely find some upgrades to your gear fairly quickly. Forests are especially good for this, because trees mean you don't have to deal with ranged attacks. Doriath is a good place to go.

Nick January 25, 2013 22:12

clouded's advice is good - although forests aren't as good for dwarves (elves and rangers/druids have free movement in trees, dwarves in rubble). You may actually be better hanging around in Ered Luin, although it is easy to get trapped in mountain levels.

I notice you found your bow in "Underworld Town", which shouldn't exist, so that looks like a bug.

Mr Mushroom January 26, 2013 00:01

Yeah I was wondering about that. I'm having an issue with my light source when I load my save file. The area directly around me is lit but a short area around that won't light up. It's not too much of a problem, I just make sure I'm back in a town when I quit.

Nick January 26, 2013 00:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Mushroom (Post 76684)
Yeah I was wondering about that. I'm having an issue with my light source when I load my save file. The area directly around me is lit but a short area around that won't light up. It's not too much of a problem, I just make sure I'm back in a town when I quit.

OK, that's weird. I'll look into it.

Mr Mushroom January 26, 2013 13:52

Given that O will launch but display nothing (including the window) when vlc is running on my laptop (vlc last update seems to have fixed this though) I can live with a lighting problem, it's more likely me than the game.

Qyx January 26, 2013 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 76679)
I notice you found your bow in "Underworld Town", which shouldn't exist, so that looks like a bug.

I had some item from "Underworld Town" also... not sure but I might have picked it up after using Teleport Level in some Wilderness spot as an escape created a dungeon...

skadefryd February 3, 2013 20:04

How do I clear webs in Nan Dungortheb? Hitting "T" doesn't work.

Nick February 3, 2013 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by skadefryd (Post 76926)
How do I clear webs in Nan Dungortheb? Hitting "T" doesn't work.

It's "D" now, like for traps.

Atriel March 7, 2013 02:03

Hey Nick =']

I am playing FA again, 1.3.1
And am hitting (till now) the lightning bug ~90% of my reloads.

Do you have a save yet? I can provide one that can reproduce the bug on load, just tell me where to send =']

Keep rocking
Daniel

Atriel March 7, 2013 02:05

BTW, playing with the no wilderness option o/

Nick March 7, 2013 06:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atriel (Post 77724)
I am playing FA again, 1.3.1
And am hitting (till now) the lightning bug ~90% of my reloads.

Do you have a save yet?

I don't think so, although I am being really slack with development at the moment and may have just mislaid one. So, yes, please send to the address on the title screen.