Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Competition (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Next competition (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=1086)

Psi December 12, 2008 08:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 12150)
Since competition 61 seems to have come to a natural end, I have moved the finish date forward to the 19th of December.

So I've still got a week... :)

Nick December 12, 2008 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psi (Post 12152)
So I've still got a week... :)

You could play that short a game in 2 days :)

Psi December 12, 2008 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 12153)
You could play that short a game in 2 days :)

Most of my attempts are closer to 2 minutes at the moment...

Nick March 12, 2009 07:04

The last fifteen competitions have been:

65 FAangband 0.3.6 Ent Rogue
64 Entroband 0.7.1 Vampire Ninja
63 Angband 3.1.0 Kobold Rogue
62 Angband 3.0.9b Dwarf Warrior
61 Oangband 1.1.0u High-Elf Assassin
60 Z+Angband 0.2.3 Nibelung Priest
59 Ironband 14Aug08 Human
58 Angband 3.0.9b Human Paladin
57 FAangband 0.3.3 Hobbit Priest
56 Steamband 0.4.1 American Officer
55 UnAngband 0.6.2-wip7b Dwarf Mage (Druid)
54 Oangband 1.1.0 Dwarf Warrior
53 Sangband 1.0.0 Hobbit
52 NPPangband 0.4.1 Hobbit Warrior
51 Angband 3.0.7s3 Gnome Mage

There is no obvious contender for comp 66 (V and NPP new versions are not quite ready; Portralis' maintainer deems it not yet competition ready; Un is a little of both). Comp 65 technically finishes on the 22nd of March, and has seen little recent activity on the competition page.

So any ideas or, even better, savefiles would be appreciated.

PaulBlay March 12, 2009 07:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 16723)
So any ideas or, even better, savefiles would be appreciated.

I'm not their maintainer, but just for the heck of it I'll put forward TinyAngband and XAngband for consideration. :D

TinyAngband would probably have the highest proportion of people finishing as WINNER ever, so might be good for getting new players in there. It's aimed at being a quick game to play. (P.S. Watch out for death swords!)

Both games are having a lot of fine tuning done on them so it might be best if a 'competition source archive / binary' was produced rather than using the last release.

[EDIT]I've just heard that 0.0.3 of TinyAngband is due for release in a few days. (Don't be put off by the number, no bugs turned up when I played it ;-). That will be the first official English release.

I don't really consider them 'serious contenders' but if there is real interest in this idea I will co-ordinate with the maintainer.

Daniel Fishman March 12, 2009 10:59

My first thought is that, with four rogues* and a warrior in the last five competitions, it's probably time for a spellcaster. Though I guess the NPP comp when it happens will be a Mage or a Druid.

* - I assume an Assassin plays pretty similar to a Rogue. I know the Ninja did.

Donald Jonker March 12, 2009 13:44

Are folks interested in playing a dead(ish) variant? I've recently discovered sCthangband, which is pretty different and very fun, particularly for its magic, though it lacks a squelch system. Or possibly Ey, which was way ahead of itself for UI enhancements and served as inspiration for a lot of NPP's upgrades.

Another option could be Hellband, which I think if it got a little publicity, we'd see some more development from the maintainer. :)

I can work up a savefile for one of these if anyone's interested.

buzzkill March 12, 2009 13:57

I be more interested in a character that wasn't way overpowered to begin with. I feel that too many of the recent competitions featured characters that have started out at low level with either exceptional armour or weapon. Lucky and Cain come to mind.

Donald Jonker March 12, 2009 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzkill (Post 16740)
I be more interested in a character that wasn't way overpowered to begin with. I feel that too many of the recent competitions featured characters that have started out at low level with either exceptional armour or weapon. Lucky and Cain come to mind.

The idea there is to give players something they can't get by simply rolling up their own characters, randomly, to induce them to compete. Comps, after all, are the only place where it's socially acceptable to savescum. But Psi with the current comp ably demonstrated there are better ways to do this than give them a neat-o item. Not sure how to provide a single-dungeon solution, other than provide a deep recall.

buzzkill March 12, 2009 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald Jonker (Post 16741)
The idea there is to give players something they can't get by simply rolling up their own characters, randomly, to induce them to compete. Comps, after all, are the only place where it's socially acceptable to savescum. But Psi with the current comp ably demonstrated there are better ways to do this than give them a neat-o item. Not sure how to provide a single-dungeon solution, other than provide a deep recall.

Really? Did I miss the memo on this?