Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Current master post 4.2.0 (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=9659)

wobbly November 18, 2019 06:17

I can't get the nightly on angband.live to run. I get to the splash screen & no further. Tried deleting my save & fiddling with font settings, no luck.

Nick November 18, 2019 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by wobbly (Post 141293)
I can't get the nightly on angband.live to run. I get to the splash screen & no further. Tried deleting my save & fiddling with font settings, no luck.

I have the same problem - thanks for reporting.

EDIT: Attempted a fix, didn't work; the consequent new builds do have a fix to the book coloring inconsistency, though :)

Ingwe Ingweron November 18, 2019 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMedley (Post 141269)
My $0.02 I think this is cool and would like to see it kept.

I assume gnomes still get their racial device damage boost, so a gnome mage would have a boost, albeit less than before.

DavidMedley November 19, 2019 02:46

Physical vs Magical Traps
 
Is there a way to tell these apart, in-game? If not, that would be a cool addition.

DavidMedley November 19, 2019 08:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 141260)
Yes - it's a percentage bonus to damage from when your device skill is greater than the object level. It can be up to 138%.

Artifacts already do not receive this bonus, correct? Or is there a higher device skill threshold?

Derakon November 19, 2019 13:02

It used to be any magical item effect except for scrolls and potions, I believe. So wands, rods, staves, and artifacts all benefited damage-wise from your device skill.

I'm curious why you felt it necessary to remove this. It was a fairly significant differentiator between races.

Nick November 19, 2019 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derakon (Post 141323)
I'm curious why you felt it necessary to remove this. It was a fairly significant differentiator between races.

Because it came up in the mage and rogue competitions that devices were completely OP compared to anything else.

It's possible that in fact it should be just halved or something, but I've started by removing it completely as the first step in a binary search :) Also, if it goes away, so much code simplification...

Nick November 19, 2019 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMedley (Post 141312)
Is there a way to tell these apart, in-game? If not, that would be a cool addition.

There isn't, and it's a good point. I think the best way to do it would probably be in the trap knowledge menu.

Derakon November 20, 2019 01:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 141327)
Because it came up in the mage and rogue competitions that devices were completely OP compared to anything else.

It's possible that in fact it should be just halved or something, but I've started by removing it completely as the first step in a binary search :) Also, if it goes away, so much code simplification...

Please forgive me for suspecting that you let your love of deleting code sway your judgement. ;) Believe me, I've been there!

I don't think most players felt that devices were overpowered with the mage's old spell list, where even Greater Recharging had nontrivial odds of exploding high-level wands, and of course there was no way to tap wands for mana. I think the main complaints came from "purists", like Sky, who begrudged the need for devices moreso as a comment on the gaps in the mage's spell list than on the power of the devices themselves. (Sky, please correct me if I'm misrepresenting you)

Nick November 20, 2019 05:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derakon (Post 141335)
Please forgive me for suspecting that you let your love of deleting code sway your judgement. ;) Believe me, I've been there!

I don't think most players felt that devices were overpowered with the mage's old spell list, where even Greater Recharging had nontrivial odds of exploding high-level wands, and of course there was no way to tap wands for mana. I think the main complaints came from "purists", like Sky, who begrudged the need for devices moreso as a comment on the gaps in the mage's spell list than on the power of the devices themselves. (Sky, please correct me if I'm misrepresenting you)

You may well be right on all counts, but I stand by my binary search methodology. Let's see how people think the current situation plays.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:46.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.