Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Suppress scroll titles once identified? (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=9715)

eastwind December 15, 2019 05:44

Suppress scroll titles once identified?

Been a while since I've played, but the current version seems to have lost or turned off by default an old feature I remember.

I have in my inventory, for example:
2 Scrolls titled "illaceo adrio" of Phase Door

If I recall, the way the game used to work was once you knew the scroll was Phase Door, the inventory list would just show
2 Scrolls of Phase Door
and skip the gibberish.

Is there some setting I can toggle to make it work the way I remember?

I'm playing with no selling (not by choice! You snuck that one in on me!), so maybe its related to the way I identified the scrolls (by giving one away)?

DavidMedley December 15, 2019 07:35

It's in there. Type =a and then turn off option g "Show flavors in object descriptions."

eastwind December 15, 2019 08:25

Thanks

Dunno why I couldn't see it when I was looking earlier. In fact now I'm wondering if maybe I turned that on when birthing the character in the first place.

Senior moment, apparently.

fph December 15, 2019 08:50

Feature request: have this on by default. It seems superior, to me: less unnecessary clutter in the interface. And I don't think that a bunch of random-generated letters help creating flavour and immersion.

Sky December 15, 2019 10:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by fph (Post 141745)
Feature request: have this on by default. It seems superior, to me: less unnecessary clutter in the interface. And I don't think that a bunch of random-generated letters help creating flavour and immersion.

it's been on since the middle ages

fph December 15, 2019 13:53

Oops, I saw OP's post and I assumed it was because it wasn't on. I will double-check on a fresh install next time. Sorry for wasting your time. :/

Derakon December 15, 2019 14:56

I wouldn't mind hiding the scroll titles, but I don't want to lose the other flavors for potions/wands/etc. since they provide some welcome variation and help me remember which colors are important (e.g. this time Potions of Strength are bright green because they're Gloopy Green Potions).

Pete Mack December 15, 2019 16:31

@Derakon-
Yeah. With scrolls, you can change the colors of important ones to make rhem easy to spot. (I use Yellow for Teleport level, cyan for *Destruction* and (Mass) Banishment, tho it doesn't work in 4.2 where there are so many book types.)

Potions for some reason can't be changed

Sky December 15, 2019 18:07

i had suggested a change over a year ago, start every set with a generic "potion" icon, "scroll" icon (or color), and as you discover what they are, replace them with a specific tile. So for example, when you discover *heal*, it will always be the same color in all sets, but before you have figured out what it is, it's a greyed out potion like all other unidentified potions.

Ingwe Ingweron December 15, 2019 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky (Post 141768)
i had suggested a change over a year ago, start every set with a generic "potion" icon, "scroll" icon (or color), and as you discover what they are, replace them with a specific tile. So for example, when you discover *heal*, it will always be the same color in all sets, but before you have figured out what it is, it's a greyed out potion like all other unidentified potions.

I like this idea a lot! :D