Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   dmg/turn instead of dmg/blow (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=3797)

fph November 6, 2010 12:42

dmg/turn instead of dmg/blow
 
Feature request: the chardumps and the 'I'/'x' command could report dmg/turn (assuming all blows hit) for melee weapons instead of dmg/blow. So that we can all save a multiplication. :D
Or is there an actual use for dmg/blow that does not require multiplying it by the number of blows/turn?

Timo Pietilš November 6, 2010 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by fph (Post 42226)
Feature request: the chardumps and the 'I'/'x' command could report dmg/turn (assuming all blows hit) for melee weapons instead of dmg/blow. So that we can all save a multiplication. :D
Or is there an actual use for dmg/blow that does not require multiplying it by the number of blows/turn?

Maybe also have monster memory reflect the actual expected damage / turn if you know the AC of the monster. For example Cat Lord is a much tougher opponent than you would expect it to be because it has really high AC.

Magnate November 6, 2010 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš (Post 42227)
Maybe also have monster memory reflect the actual expected damage / turn if you know the AC of the monster. For example Cat Lord is a much tougher opponent than you would expect it to be because it has really high AC.

We could go so far as to show your % chance to hit this monster in melee, in the monster memory (once you know the monster's AC). That would save everybody working out their total melee score and doing the calculation themselves ...

fizzix November 6, 2010 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnate (Post 42234)
We could go so far as to show your % chance to hit this monster in melee, in the monster memory (once you know the monster's AC). That would save everybody working out their total melee score and doing the calculation themselves ...

I think this is the place for dmg/round. In the monster memory, once you know the AC, 'with your current weapon, you will do an average of xxx damage against this foe'

fph November 6, 2010 15:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by fizzix (Post 42238)
I think this is the place for dmg/round. In the monster memory, once you know the AC, 'with your current weapon, you will do an average of xxx damage against this foe'

Good point. While we are at it, would dmg/100 energy be better? I can think of arguments supporting both.

Magnate November 6, 2010 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by fizzix (Post 42238)
I think this is the place for dmg/round. In the monster memory, once you know the AC, 'with your current weapon, you will do an average of xxx damage against this foe'

But do you want that calculation to assume that all attacks hit, or to multiply by the probability of each hit? For multiple blows the calculation of average damage gets quite complicated if you take misses into account. IMO it would be much simpler to show the % chance to hit and the average damage per hit (with energy per blow shown elsewhere).

fizzix November 6, 2010 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnate (Post 42247)
But do you want that calculation to assume that all attacks hit, or to multiply by the probability of each hit? For multiple blows the calculation of average damage gets quite complicated if you take misses into account. IMO it would be much simpler to show the % chance to hit and the average damage per hit (with energy per blow shown elsewhere).

i would want it in average damage per round including hit percentage. Probability of hitting is currently the most important calculation that is opaque to the player. There's absolutely no indication of how much +20 to hit increases your chance to hit vs +10. Or how difficult it is to hit something with an AC of 75 vs something with an AC of 25.

Magnate November 6, 2010 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by fizzix (Post 42250)
i would want it in average damage per round including hit percentage. Probability of hitting is currently the most important calculation that is opaque to the player. There's absolutely no indication of how much +20 to hit increases your chance to hit vs +10. Or how difficult it is to hit something with an AC of 75 vs something with an AC of 25.

That's right - which is why I support adding "you have a X% chance to hit this creature with your current weapon" to the monster memory. That's only a dozen or so additional lines of code. Calculating the average damage from N blows is quite a bit more hassle for little more gain.

fizzix November 6, 2010 21:15

I'd be content with chance to hit.

ewert November 7, 2010 19:32

What I have been thinking of doing is change all mentions of blows/round into either energy/blow or damage/100 energy. Also will change extra hit into -% energy/blow cost so can forget blows/round for good ...

With current system I'd love a simple avg dmg / 100 energy value shown so can compare weapons, and that hit chance on monster recall sounds great too. Those are enough, no need for the combined hitchance * avg dmg to be honest...


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:36.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.