Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Current master post-4.1.3 (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=9051)

Nick August 18, 2018 08:37

Current master post-4.1.3

This thread is for me to update what's happening on current master, and for people to suggest/complain.

There are new builds up on the nightlies page with the following changes:
  • Priest pointy penalty replaced with a slight to-hit and to-dam bonus for using a blessed weapon (which paladins also get)
  • Arcane caster glove penalty removed
  • Shield bashes made half as likely, and given to warriors and paladins

So this is a big buff for paladins, a decent buff for priests, mages, rogues and warriors, and a nerf for blackguards. Let me know how it goes, more adjustment will undoubtedly be needed.

Ingwe Ingweron August 18, 2018 16:49

Nick, you are brilliant! :) I just noticed the old_class.txt file so that people could easily go back to the original classes. Not that I want to do that, I'm having quite a lot of fun exploring the new classes, but that you quietly provide such flexibility is really wonderful. Thumbs up!!!

wobbly August 18, 2018 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron (Post 132958)
Nick, you are brilliant! :) I just noticed the old_class.txt file so that people could easily go back to the original classes. Not that I want to do that, I'm having quite a lot of fun exploring the new classes, but that you quietly provide such flexibility is really wonderful. Thumbs up!!!

You'll need the old object & monster files too for that, otherwise monsters will drop either useless or non-existent books.

Edit: store as well. It's not too hard but trickier then you'd expect when you add up the little bits.

Ingwe Ingweron August 18, 2018 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by wobbly (Post 132959)
You'll need the old object & monster files too for that, otherwise monsters will drop either useless or non-existent books.

Edit: store as well. It's not too hard but trickier then you'd expect when you add up the little bits.

I don't think so. Nick is more brilliant than you've given credit. Although it is called "old_class.txt", it isn't actually an exact duplicate of the old file. It includes the modifications Nick has made to the way in which books are defined (as well as other game-play refinements like changes to class flags, e.g., removal of cumber glove, blessed, etc.) Books are no longer in object.txt, the book objects are defined in the class.txt file (or old_class.txt file). Also, the only drops dictated by the monster file are Morgoth's crown and weapon.

wobbly August 18, 2018 18:44

Ah your right well mostly (druid even drops a priest book instead of nature). I'd had parser errors going the opposite direction & didn't realize the new monster list doesn't name the book. Ranger however has the same flag name for shots, so it'd be new ranger bow shots. Not sure about the bookstore. Always:shadow. Though that's simple to remove.

Nick August 19, 2018 01:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron (Post 132958)

Thanks, I'm certainly going to try and keep this updated. I think it's inevitable, though, that the old classes will gradually drift away from what they used to be like as game mechanics change.

luneya August 21, 2018 01:40

It would probably also be a good idea to add "Use old-style classes" as a birth option. It shouldn't be difficult to code--when the option is enabled, have the program read old_class.txt whenever it would otherwise read class.txt, and restart the character selection process whenever the option is toggled on or off--and it would allow people to easily switch between the two class systems without going to the trouble of renaming both files.

Nick August 21, 2018 02:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by luneya (Post 132986)
It would probably also be a good idea to add "Use old-style classes" as a birth option. It shouldn't be difficult to code--when the option is enabled, have the program read old_class.txt whenever it would otherwise read class.txt, and restart the character selection process whenever the option is toggled on or off--and it would allow people to easily switch between the two class systems without going to the trouble of renaming both files.

Yeah, that's worth looking into.

wobbly August 21, 2018 03:53

Is the Spirit tag a necromancer thing? So the hydra doesn't have it because the game thinks it's an animal. Why isn't it on the hybrids?

Nick August 22, 2018 00:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by wobbly (Post 132991)
Is the Spirit tag a necromancer thing? So the hydra doesn't have it because the game thinks it's an animal. Why isn't it on the hybrids?

Spirit is for things that would have been considered sentient. Hybrids are mostly mashed up animals.