Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Competition (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Next competition (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=1086)

Nick April 6, 2022 06:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron (Post 158164)
If randarts, would we all have the same start file and randart file for the comp? I know for the past year or so, comps have foregone the start file that used to be integral to the experience, but without it the @s in the competition aren't really comparable.

I would supply a starting savefile and encourage people to use it; that said, there's also been a push to encourage playing the comp on angband.live, which doesn't allow using the starting file.

So, kind of?

Estie April 6, 2022 17:43

Starting save file plus ranadart file should work fine ?

Ingwe Ingweron April 6, 2022 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 158165)
I would supply a starting savefile and encourage people to use it; that said, there's also been a push to encourage playing the comp on angband.live, which doesn't allow using the starting file.

So, kind of?

Yeah, for start files on angband.live, Gwarl used to have to make a separate angband entry just for the comp. Though having one dedicated comp entry on angband.live might not be a bad idea, if it were easy to do.

malcontent April 6, 2022 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron (Post 158171)
Yeah, for start files on angband.live, Gwarl used to have to make a separate angband entry just for the comp. Though having one dedicated comp entry on angband.live might not be a bad idea, if it were easy to do.

I haven't tried angband.live with 4.2.4 much - is it still pretty laggy for US west coast US folks?

malcontent April 6, 2022 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 158161)
I've had a suggestion to have a pair of successive competitions, 3.5.1 and 4.2.4, with the same race/class, point being to compare changes pre- and post-restructure.

Good idea? I'm thinking priest, maybe Dunadan.

I like the idea, except for the priest part. Is the feeling that a priest would better show the differences between the versions?

Nick April 6, 2022 22:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by malcontent (Post 158176)
I like the idea, except for the priest part. Is the feeling that a priest would better show the differences between the versions?

Yes, the general idea is to get a class that doesn't play too differently between the versions (so mage and ranger had big changes, for example), but still had spellcasting (so not a warrior). Priest seemed to fit the bill best, and we haven't had one for a while.

malcontent April 9, 2022 23:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 158177)
Yes, the general idea is to get a class that doesn't play too differently between the versions (so mage and ranger had big changes, for example), but still had spellcasting (so not a warrior). Priest seemed to fit the bill best, and we haven't had one for a while.

OK, I'm game :)

Nick June 5, 2022 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by clouded (Post 158464)
Can we have a Touhou Kattebatan comp next?

Can someone do a savefile for this?

Cryomaniac June 5, 2022 10:35

I can think of something; shouldn't we need a separate ladder first, though?

Nick June 5, 2022 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cryomaniac (Post 158600)
I can think of something; shouldn't we need a separate ladder first, though?

Good point.