Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Competition (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Next competition (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=1086)

Nick March 15, 2009 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulBlay (Post 16782)
Oh, and I still want to hear people's opinions about this (pacifist option and normal comp. in TinyAngband option). The sooner I know whether it's 'go' for the next competition the sooner we can get started.

OK, I have (with a couple of minor hiccups) downloaded and compiled the source to TinyAngband 0.0.3. It seems, though, that the English translation is not complete - object and terrain feature names still seem to be trying to display in Japanese.

I'm also not quite sure how the pacifist thing would work, with the tagging etc.

The translation seems like kind of a showstopper. Do people think we should try to pursue this for the next comp, or do something else and have Tiny later?

PaulBlay March 15, 2009 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 16819)
OK, I have (with a couple of minor hiccups) downloaded and compiled the source to TinyAngband 0.0.3. It seems, though, that the English translation is not complete - object and terrain feature names still seem to be trying to display in Japanese.

I haven't run 0.0.3 specifically (I've been compiling off the development version), but object names at least certainly shouldn't be trying to display in Japanese.

Did you follow the hints in the Compiling XAngband Source page? In particular failing to delete any .raw files before compiling may cause what you've described.

Nick March 15, 2009 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulBlay (Post 16820)
In particular failing to delete any .raw files before compiling may cause what you've described.

Aha, thanks - I had configured without --disable-japanese the first time, and saw my mistake on running, but forgot the raw files had been written then.

PaulBlay March 15, 2009 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 16821)
Aha, thanks - I had configured without --disable-japanese the first time, and saw my mistake on running, but forgot the raw files had been written then.

To answer your other concerns;
I'm quite happy (indeed it would be more convenient) to just have a standard TinyAngband character in standard TinyAngband game for "first to kill Morgoth". (The competition period should be short as it is a 'quick' *band variant).

My thoughts on doing a 'special' were just because there didn't seem to be much interest in 'straight' TinyAngband. I envisage the 'tag' system as a way of getting some exp without having to kill monsters. You get exp for 'seriously disadvantaging' monsters. They don't disappear from the level, and if you encounter them again you don't get extra exp for 'disadvantaging' them again (to prevent farming). You still get full exp if you do kill something (but you will generally want to avoid doing that).

None of the 'special competition features' have been implemented yet (although we do have a good idea of how to do it all, and it shouldn't take long if it goes that way).

Nick March 15, 2009 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulBlay (Post 16822)
I'm quite happy (indeed it would be more convenient) to just have a standard TinyAngband character in standard TinyAngband game for "first to kill Morgoth". (The competition period should be short as it is a 'quick' *band variant).

I think this might be a better option - especially since TinyAngband is new to pretty much everyone. If you want to send me a savefile, I'll get it organised in the next couple of days.

PaulBlay March 15, 2009 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 16826)
I think this might be a better option - especially since TinyAngband is new to pretty much everyone. If you want to send me a savefile, I'll get it organised in the next couple of days.

Will do. Er, pm me your email?

I'll get in contact with iks and update him on developments.

Nick March 15, 2009 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulBlay (Post 16828)
Will do. Er, pm me your email?

Every spammer on the planet has it already:
nckmccnnll@yahoo.com.au

PaulBlay March 15, 2009 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 16830)
Every spammer on the planet has it already:

Should I offer congratulations? :D

Looking at the Competition Rules it suggests that having a 'decent monster memory' is recommended so would a low level knowledge of all monsters be a plus? (iks is going to be handling the save file).

[EDIT] OK, I think we're good to go. I'll email you the save file.

[EDITx2] Apparently the person we were hoping for a OS X binary from is busy this week (and it wasn't as easy as hoped). However there is the following information relayed from iks:

If make and gcc for OSX are installed from OSX CD, OSX binary can be
compiled as follows:
% ./configure --disable-japanese --disable-sdl_mixer; make; make install

X for OSX should be installed from CD.

Nick March 15, 2009 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulBlay (Post 16831)

If make and gcc for OSX are installed from OSX CD, OSX binary can be
compiled as follows:

% ./configure --disable-japanese --disable-sdl-mixer; make; make install

(small typo corrected :)) also works for linux.

Pete Mack March 15, 2009 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulBlay (Post 16831)
If make and gcc for OSX are installed from OSX CD, OSX binary can be
compiled as follows:
% ./configure --disable-japanese --disable-sdl_mixer; make; make install

X for OSX should be installed from CD.

PS: X for OSX is now officially part of the OS, and does not need to be installed. (Post 10.4)

Nevertheless, the X version is much uglier and the UI is noticeably worse than OSX native :(

I suppose I should give it a spin. If I like it I can do the port. They don't take more than 2 hours with the current main-crb.c, though the makefile is a bit of a pain for non-portable builds. (ie: makefile.inc and/or makefile.src is not present)


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:38.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.