Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Variants (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   FrogComposband 7.0.strawberry (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=8850)

Sideways March 24, 2018 03:34

Thanks. There's probably plenty of rewards like that, not just in Frog; e.g. Royal Crypt gives Bilbo to everybody in both FrogComposband and PosChengband. And there will probably always be some rewards like that because the standard reward is so thematic for the quest and can - if all else fails - be sold for decent $$$. (Yes, the development version now has the no_selling option, where that argument doesn't apply.)

But there's absolutely no reason why Trouble at Home should give a hard studded leather to everybody, including characters with no use for it; and I will put alternative rewards there and some other quests (at least anti-paladin).

Sideways March 24, 2018 15:29

Cop Quest doesn't have any random monsters, but does have one summoner (the priest); I'd assume he summoned the Variant Maintainer, which is pretty unlucky and not something you should expect to happen regularly. Even summons apart, the priest is the most dangerous enemy in that quest, and killing him should be a top priority.

Bostock March 25, 2018 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mocht (Post 128601)
This interests me, I wonder how many interesting/powerful things are in the game that everyone ignores
An example is duelists
No-one played them, then a few people won with them, and said that duelists are wrecking machines at high level

Duelists would probably bring more enjoyment to more people if they started stronger, even at the cost of ending weaker.

Rudiment March 26, 2018 21:18

I have a question about weapon proficiency. My high-elf ranger of level 15 has only beginner (+0 to hit) in short bow and this is very weird because i am shooting everyone out since beginning of the game. Is there some hidden mechanics and my weapon prof is actually rise?

Sideways March 26, 2018 22:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudiment (Post 128727)
I have a question about weapon proficiency. My high-elf ranger of level 15 has only beginner (+0 to hit) in short bow and this is very weird because i am shooting everyone out since beginning of the game. Is there some hidden mechanics and my weapon prof is actually rise?

The proficiency mechanics are highly obscure, they're explained in various help files but unfortunately not very well anywhere. Basically, you will gain proficiency by shooting monsters, but only if the monsters are of sufficiently high level compared to your proficiency.

Beginner (+0 to-hit) sounds not so great, but it's a lot better than Unskilled (-20), and sufficiently good that you must shoot monsters of native level 15 (or deeper) to gain any proficiency. My guess would be that you haven't shot enough level 15 monsters yet, and that's why you haven't gained any proficiency.

(Also, the more proficient you are, the slower you gain proficiency.)

Pete Mack March 26, 2018 23:22

Also: this makes carrying buffs significantly more useful.

Rudiment March 27, 2018 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideways (Post 128728)
The proficiency mechanics are highly obscure, they're explained in various help files but unfortunately not very well anywhere. Basically, you will gain proficiency by shooting monsters, but only if the monsters are of sufficiently high level compared to your proficiency.

Beginner (+0 to-hit) sounds not so great, but it's a lot better than Unskilled (-20), and sufficiently good that you must shoot monsters of native level 15 (or deeper) to gain any proficiency. My guess would be that you haven't shot enough level 15 monsters yet, and that's why you haven't gained any proficiency.

(Also, the more proficient you are, the slower you gain proficiency.)

But my ranger began with beginner (+0 to hit) in short bow from level 1. I cleaned warrens and now cleaning hideout (lvl 12). So i met plenty of monsters with equal of even higher lvl, but i didn't manage to get even silly beginner (+1 to hit).

Sideways March 27, 2018 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudiment (Post 128741)
But my ranger began with beginner (+0 to hit) in short bow from level 1. I cleaned warrens and now cleaning hideout (lvl 12). So i met plenty of monsters with equal of even higher lvl, but i didn't manage to get even silly beginner (+1 to hit).

With +0 proficiency, you need to shoot monsters of native level 15 or deeper. That limit isn't set by your clvl - it's purely coincidental that your clvl happened to also be 15. The limit is set by your +0 proficiency, and was already dl 15 when you were clvl 1; apologies if my previous post didn't explain this clearly enough. As you go a bit deeper your proficiency should start rising.

(Technically, you can get some proficiency from shooting dl 14 monsters; just not enough to reach the lofty heights of +1 to-hit.)

Sideways March 29, 2018 13:49

Four dungeons - the anti-magic cave, the anti-melee cave, Heaven and Mine - don't have bottom guardians in the official release of 7.0.strawberry. (Heaven and Mine will have guardians in 7.0.peppermint, and already have guardians in the development version.)

Rudiment March 29, 2018 19:28

Question about Virtues system. My ranger have +3% to fail rate in Nature realm. I think it is because "You have sinned against Nature". On my way many hostile animals and my spiders from Trump realm not always help to avoid killing animals. Maybe it is worth adding spells like calm animal or something.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 20:40.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.