Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Really Want To Fight Ancestors (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=4120)

buzzkill February 11, 2011 02:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derakon (Post 48424)
Of course, that'd mean the early levels would be littered with the ghosts of young mages...

Casper and friends?

Nick February 11, 2011 04:30

The other thing to point out about the O/NPP/FA system (and I think they are all essentially the same) is that the player (a) gets a message when the ghost spawns and (b) has full knowledge of it. These are really important, as they give you a chance to fight, or avoid, or leave the level immediately.

Philip February 11, 2011 07:34

Not instadeath? Well, probably not, but my most succesful character in O, a high-elf assasin, was killed by a Nether Wraith Ranger player ghost. 2 rounds and I was gone. Since it can go into walls, and I didn't know this, I was trying to teleport it. Kinda annoying. Still, player ghosts in the early levels are quite useful to kill, since they have drops. Unless they were a druid and go crazy summoning and stuff.

nppangband February 11, 2011 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 48442)
The other thing to point out about the O/NPP/FA system (and I think they are all essentially the same) is that the player (a) gets a message when the ghost spawns and (b) has full knowledge of it. These are really important, as they give you a chance to fight, or avoid, or leave the level immediately.

Excellent points! I knew I forgot something.

I actually don't remember where I got the player ghost option from. Was it a patch? Has it always been a part of Oangband? Or may be from the old, old, old Angband source.

d_m February 11, 2011 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by nppangband (Post 48485)
Excellent points! I knew I forgot something.

I actually don't remember where I got the player ghost option from. Was it a patch? Has it always been a part of Oangband? Or may be from the old, old, old Angband source.

I think player ghosts used to exist in V, or at least, code to support them used to exist in V.

Derakon February 11, 2011 15:14

Back in the frog-knows days, yes, but they went out before Ben took over, so if you took them from old V source then you must've done a lot of updating to make the code work. :)

(I once got the Trident of Ulmo from a player ghost around 400' in frog-knows. That was a fun character)

LostTemplar February 12, 2011 13:34

Quote:

If I can get ghosts saved into the savefile properly
does not look like good idea, same as why high scores are not in savefile, ghosts should be stored separately.

Philip February 12, 2011 14:01

But seriously, I would like to see them in V at least as an option(not likely).

Nomad February 12, 2011 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostTemplar (Post 48589)
Quote:

Originally Posted by d_m (Post 48425)
If I can get ghosts saved into the savefile properly

does not look like good idea, same as why high scores are not in savefile, ghosts should be stored separately.

Could you not pull ghost data from the high scores file? You've got a list of dead characters with race, class, clevel, dungeon level and final gold stored right there. (And even the cause of death, if you want to get really clever and generate the type of monster that made the kill along with the ghost.)

d_m February 12, 2011 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad (Post 48597)
Could you not pull ghost data from the high scores file? You've got a list of dead characters with race, class, clevel, dungeon level and final gold stored right there. (And even the cause of death, if you want to get really clever and generate the type of monster that made the kill along with the ghost.)

I think you're right, but you also want to know whether that ghost has been seen before and/or killed before, and you may actually want to store more things on player death (e.g. items carried).

But certainly as a first pass it could be possible.