Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Sil (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   After advice on an Edain (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=6836)

wobbly June 27, 2014 17:50

After advice on an Edain
 
So this Gal
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=16343

I could take polearms mastery/concentration & use the great spear of vanyar.
I could aim for charge & use that nice greatsword.
I've got enough perception for bane & was planning on orc-bane but I'm approaching the point where orcs won't be a problem, so I could get wolf-bane (for werewolfs later on) or troll-bane & pick off trolls for xp.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Dead now. Oh well, glad to get that far anyway.

taptap June 28, 2014 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by wobbly (Post 93724)
So this Gal
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=16343

I could take polearms mastery/concentration & use the great spear of vanyar.
I could aim for charge & use that nice greatsword.
I've got enough perception for bane & was planning on orc-bane but I'm approaching the point where orcs won't be a problem, so I could get wolf-bane (for werewolfs later on) or troll-bane & pick off trolls for xp.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Dead now. Oh well, glad to get that far anyway.

Why did you take power and finesse?

clouded June 28, 2014 10:39

There isn't much reason not to on a Hador, power is good and finesse has a much better path of skills. If you decide you don't want the +1 required on crits from power you can turn it off later.

To wobbly, you've focused on too many skills, Edain can't really play this way unlike a Noldor. elliptic is pro enough to do smithing Edain but otherwise 2 for weaponsmith is as much as I'd do, you have 1 grace after all. Just focus on melee and evasion and then get will for constitution, and enough perception for whatever useful thing you want out of it.

taptap June 28, 2014 11:36

I would only ever do power and finesse combination when I try for light great spear, where I want critical hits, but need power for knockback. So, I believe the coolest way to play for him would be the great spear of the vanyar and trolling orcs with light effects and polearm mastery. (Though likely not the most effective one.)

I believe charge at start (momentum + knockback later) is a very cool combination for Hador - it combines well with flanking.

wobbly June 28, 2014 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by taptap (Post 93737)
Why did you take power and finesse?

With hardiness & armoursmithing at the start it was the only way I could find to survive the 1st 100' reliably. Of course I could of took more melee/evasion instead of hardiness but I was aiming for a versatility archer anyway, so I tried to avoid a lot of melee skill. I'm actually undecided whether charge is really a better option then power/finesse with versatility. If I can get away with as much of my melee skill coming from archery & perception I will.

Of course in practice I've had better luck with charge, so maybe it's just a bad plan.

Re: Armoursmithing, yeah it's probably did cost me too much. I figured I only had to hit 9 for speed boots. 'but then again it's probably smarter to just take take sprinting. I've got a soft spot for smith & tend to justify it any way I can, whether it good or not. I tend to just enjoy playing smiths more then non-smiths.

wobbly June 28, 2014 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by clouded (Post 93739)
To wobbly, you've focused on too many skills, Edain can't really play this way unlike a Noldor. elliptic is pro enough to do smithing Edain but otherwise 2 for weaponsmith is as much as I'd do, you have 1 grace after all. Just focus on melee and evasion and then get will for constitution, and enough perception for whatever useful thing you want out of it.

Just Jeweller looks work-able too. You get some of the xp back, & a pt in evasion/melee from the rings. The horn has saved this one's butt several times & with a bow+horn I can pick of spiders. If I use staffs for Morgoth I'll need channelling anyway.

We'll see, but so far so good:

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=16348

debo June 28, 2014 19:39

Without some way to reliably attack or hide better than you can now, I predict you will die to Wargs or Werewolves very soon :)

wobbly June 28, 2014 20:12

I suspect your wrong. I doubt I'll make it to Wargs & Werewolfs seeing I've just almost died 3 times. Once cornered between a troll & sword spider, next between a troll & violet mold & the last time between a troll & a pile of ruble. Fighting a troll with 1 con & 1 str is not good odds.

taptap June 28, 2014 20:32

If I would make an Edain archer, I would either go Elbereth or Stealth and drop smithing other than bow / arrow-making.

If I would make an Hador fighter, I would drop the ability buying spree. 12k XP could be 9 melee, 9 evasion, one melee ability and 4 will, 4 perception + keen senses + one more ability.

wobbly June 28, 2014 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by debo (Post 93749)
Without some way to reliably attack or hide better than you can now, I predict you will die to Wargs or Werewolves very soon :)

Well turns out you were wrong. I slaughtered most of the wargs, ran from the werewolves then died when a group of troll guards decided to play ping pong.

skadefryd June 28, 2014 22:50

Not an expert on stealth builds, but it seems to me like if you're going for stealth (yours was 18!), and you end up getting into a protracted melee with wolves and trolls, you've done something wrong.

taptap June 28, 2014 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by wobbly (Post 93753)
Well turns out you were wrong. I slaughtered most of the wargs, ran from the werewolves then died when a group of troll guards decided to play ping pong.

Interesting weird mixed type character... I wondered about your wargs -> troll guards.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:40.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.