Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Preparing for 4.2 release (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=9455)

gglibertine June 28, 2019 14:50

Is inability to enchant artifact armour an intentional thing? I'm on 4.1.3-465-g2a840212b still (so as not to corrupt my savefile) and while I've been able to enchant artifact weapons, armour fails every time. It *could* be coincidence, but I've tried a LOT, given that all my armour is artifacts, and it's failed a couple of dozen times at least, including with *Enchant Armour*.

Derakon June 28, 2019 16:28

Chance to successfully enchant depends on how enchanted the item is already. It's flat-out impossible to enchant anything above +15, and it's pretty hard to get above +10. Most artifact armors have AC bonuses well above +10.

If I recall correctly, artifacts also have some degree of "enchantment resistance" that makes them additionally harder to improve, presumably to counterbalance their innate resistance to being disenchanted.

gglibertine June 28, 2019 16:32

Ah, interesting. I didn't know they resisted disenchantment! I must've used up a couple of dozen scrolls of Enchant Armour on a +9 artifact cloak, though. I know you can't get above +15, but I've managed to get above +10 with things if I'm persistent enough in the past. This time, though, absolutely NONE of my artifact armour has taken an enchantment, whereas the weapons have, so I started to wonder if there might be a bug.

wobbly June 28, 2019 17:18

It's a flat 50% fail chance for an artifact & I think 30% chance for +9. It's this table anyway, & chance is out of 1000

Code:

static const int enchant_table[16] =
{
        0, 10,  20, 40, 80,
        160, 280, 400, 550, 700,
        800, 900, 950, 970, 990,
        1000
};

Sounds like you got a little unlucky, but not extremely so.

wobbly June 28, 2019 18:52

The rate you get hungry at with regen seems crazy & I barely use the rest command (190 rest turns by dlvl 37). While it's nice that slow digestion has a use, I think this is currently over the top. Certainly I wouldn't want to play iron man with it like how it is now.

Nick June 29, 2019 00:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by wobbly (Post 138916)
The rate you get hungry at with regen seems crazy & I barely use the rest command (190 rest turns by dlvl 37). While it's nice that slow digestion has a use, I think this is currently over the top. Certainly I wouldn't want to play iron man with it like how it is now.

OK, I see what the problem is. I have reduced the size of the food meter from 17500 to 10000, and halved the rate of digestion, which looks like you need less food; but the effective size of the meter (above hungry and below slowing starting) has gone from 15000 to 6000. I will make some adjustments.

Ingwe Ingweron June 29, 2019 03:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 138919)
OK, I see what the problem is. I have reduced the size of the food meter from 17500 to 10000, and halved the rate of digestion, which looks like you need less food; but the effective size of the meter (above hungry and below slowing starting) has gone from 15000 to 6000. I will make some adjustments.

So, I wasn't just crazy? ;)

Nick June 29, 2019 04:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron (Post 138922)
So, I wasn't just crazy? ;)

It would seem not. Changes in development move the top of "Hungry" down to 15%, and the bottom of "Full" up to 90%, which means the good range should last the same number of turns as before now. I've also made food descriptions include percentage as well as turns.

Ingwe Ingweron June 30, 2019 00:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 138923)
It would seem not....

Gotta love Nick, always the statesman and only going to say that I don't "seem" crazy. :D Reminds me of a Robert E. Howard quote from a "Conan" novel that I remember reading as a kid, "Those who are sane believe there is a great difference between illusion and reality-- those who are mad know that this is simply not true."

Nick June 30, 2019 00:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron (Post 138926)
Gotta love Nick, always the statesman and only going to say that I don't "seem" crazy. :D Reminds me of a Robert E. Howard quote from a "Conan" novel that I remember reading as a kid, "Those who are sane believe there is a great difference between illusion and reality-- those who are mad know that this is simply not true."

I'm just glad someone's paying attention ;)


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:52.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.