Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Stupid Angband Questions (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=6529)

gglibertine June 2, 2018 10:14

OK, I have another stupid question:

Why does a quarterstaff weigh 15 lbs. in Angband? In reality they're between two and five pounds on average.

Estie June 2, 2018 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by gglibertine (Post 130284)
OK, I have another stupid question:

Why does a quarterstaff weigh 15 lbs. in Angband? In reality they're between two and five pounds on average.

This is an old one, coming up every now and then. I dont really know, but my speculation is that whoever first made the game took the carrying capacity values right out of the d&d players handbook where str rises to ridiculous heights and carrying capacity follows suit. If that is so, 15 lbs would be a compromise between realistic weights and the fraction of carrying capacity that makes for a realistic amount of quarterstaves carried.

Darin June 2, 2018 13:55

The way D&D weapon weights were explained to me was that it was a compromise between weapon weight and unwieldiness. So the quarterstaff is considered unwieldy enough to give it a weight penalty for combat purposes. Of course, that makes no sense from the point of view of how many you can lug around.

gglibertine June 25, 2018 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darin (Post 130286)
The way D&D weapon weights were explained to me was that it was a compromise between weapon weight and unwieldiness. So the quarterstaff is considered unwieldy enough to give it a weight penalty for combat purposes. Of course, that makes no sense from the point of view of how many you can lug around.

Everything's changed in 5e. Quarterstaff now weighs 4 lbs. Encumbrance rules have been reworked as well, but I've literally never played in a game where encumbrance was even used, probably because the old rules were so bad that people gave up on them and can't be arsed to learn the new ones.

Adam July 26, 2018 08:46

I'm still on 4.0.3 and recognized something strange. I started to fight a bunch of sleeping ogres. When I nearly killed a chieftain he started to run away through his friends - who all remained sleeping. This I find quite strange, don't they wake up when someone pushes them past?
I don't know if this was changed in newer versions but looks like a minor thing so maybe not.

Carnivean July 26, 2018 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 132249)
I'm still on 4.0.3 and recognized something strange. I started to fight a bunch of sleeping ogres. When I nearly killed a chieftain he started to run away through his friends - who all remained sleeping. This I find quite strange, don't they wake up when someone pushes them past?
I don't know if this was changed in newer versions but looks like a minor thing so maybe not.

There are 2 things that don't make sense here:

1) That a monster is shoved 10 feet and doesn't wake up.

2) That a monster who has a bodyguard doesn't wake the bodyguard up when they get attacked. Defending the chief/unique/etc is the entire reason that they are there.

Both events should be a trigger to wake. In the case of the chief then they should maybe have an action that causes them to wake their guard.