Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   angband speedrun (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=8293)

dos350 March 10, 2017 10:04

angband speedrun

any1 here try to speedrun angband?

im talking real time, not ingame turns

i think good player could achieve honestly a sub 3 hour time easily?

any thoughts, or if any1 does, please u should stream it!!

i would try but im no where near good enough,,

HugoTheGreat2011 March 10, 2017 12:57

If you're considering on-screen recordings, use OBS Studio! It's completely free and it makes high quality videos!

Sky March 10, 2017 14:11

3 hours???

Maybe in wizard mode. It takes me 1 week to get to morgoth with save scumming.

Derakon March 10, 2017 16:23

I remember reading way back on RGRA about someone who beat ZAngband in a single 24-hour period, using a mindcrafter. Mindcrafters are extremely cheesy -- they have a targeted teleport, a stunning spell, a spell that damages all non-stupid monsters in LOS, etc. and it's easily possible for them to kill the Serpent of Chaos (Morgoth-analogue) without it ever seeing them.

Now, I could readily believe that modern Vanilla could be beaten faster than oldschool ZAngband, what with the smoother power curve (with a lower ceiling on monster power), access to Deep Descent, etc. but I suspect 3 hours is still very optimistic. You'd need to grind out a lot of runs for things to go well enough to achieve something like that time.

Estie March 10, 2017 18:03

Hmmm speedrun. I think I would use a ranger and restart if no good bow after 10 minutes (assuming no wizard mode, which is not a given when it comes to speed running).
I suppose I would get bored fast and these things are the reason I dont like speedruns much in general.

Derakon March 10, 2017 18:47

My inclination would be to run warrior and crash-dive, trusting in the RNG to work out and restarting when it doesn't. My reasoning is that warriors have the fewest things they need to reach a winnable state -- a bit more STR/DEX/CON, a good weapon or launcher, enough levels for the HP to survive nukes, and some consumables, most of which can be store-bought in extremis. They also have the strongest base potential; I can easily imagine a warrior with relatively basic gear winning fights against dlvl-40 monsters, while that's harder for any other class. Obviously they'll be playing without a lot of utility options, especially monster detection, but again, trusting the RNG to work out is sort of the nature of this kind of speedrun. If you can save 15 minutes by playing a class that doesn't know what's going on around it, at the cost of failing your run 90% of the time, that might well be a worthwhile tradeoff.

Pete Mack March 10, 2017 21:15

My inclination is not to do it--it teaches bad habits. But I'd do it with small levels enabled, if I did it at all. Exploring takes a lot of time.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Derakon (Post 118938)
My inclination would be to run warrior and crash-dive, trusting in the RNG to work out and restarting when it doesn't. My reasoning is that warriors have the fewest things they need to reach a winnable state -- a bit more STR/DEX/CON, a good weapon or launcher, enough levels for the HP to survive nukes, and some consumables, most of which can be store-bought in extremis. They also have the strongest base potential; I can easily imagine a warrior with relatively basic gear winning fights against dlvl-40 monsters, while that's harder for any other class. Obviously they'll be playing without a lot of utility options, especially monster detection, but again, trusting the RNG to work out is sort of the nature of this kind of speedrun. If you can save 15 minutes by playing a class that doesn't know what's going on around it, at the cost of failing your run 90% of the time, that might well be a worthwhile tradeoff.

Derakon March 10, 2017 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 118942)
My inclination is not to do it--it teaches bad habits. But I'd do it with small levels enabled, if I did it at all. Exploring takes a lot of time.

It teaches very risky habits, I would say. It's all in what you're optimizing for, after all. This would be very much an opposite to the old "try to win with every character, try to mitigate every risk" strategy of the 90's and early 2000's. :)

wobbly March 10, 2017 22:20

I think I'd prefer something like a dwarf rogue over a warrior if I wanted to try speed running angband. Easier to locate good gear & still very sturdy.

dos350 March 11, 2017 06:14

ofcourse, wiz mode not allowed

other rules, defined by the "category" ur running

honestly i want a gg opinion here,

literally angband is pretty fast once u get on a roll,

som1 with gg "ingame turn" count wins, could apply their skill to RTA (real time attack) and get an easy world record

this is a great game to speedrun, even tho ive never tried

!!!

one primary reason its so good is there is no actual "time pressure"

everything is at ur own pace , u just got to go fast!!!!

literally this is a call to angband players, PLEASE try to speed run and post links to twitch etc, gl!