Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   First rogue past level 10 I think (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=9027)

Petoften August 8, 2018 11:33

First ranger past level 10 I think

Playing a hobbit (edit: ranger).

Is there a way to see what the game said about treasure on a level other than looking for the message in the log?

He's still a bit delicate against hard things, but I found an item with telepathy, my first one in Angband, boy that's nice.

BlindGuardian August 8, 2018 11:49

If i remember correctly, Ctrl+F shows the current level feeling.
I may be wrong, not used to Angband's new version.

Pete Mack August 8, 2018 13:47

Hobbit rogue is a tough choice, since hobbit has such bad strength and HP. You will have to rely on spellcasting and stealth for quite some time.

Petoften August 8, 2018 14:27

I noticed when I put on a damage ring, it didn't change my arrow damage.

Petoften August 8, 2018 14:29

I've got two uniques close on a new level in a tight area... not fun.

Petoften August 8, 2018 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlindGuardian (Post 132563)
If i remember correctly, Ctrl+F shows the current level feeling.
I may be wrong, not used to Angband's new version.

It showed the danger level, but nothing about loot, but I didn't get a loot message for this level yet.

Petoften August 8, 2018 14:39

I killed one of the uniques, Ulfang the black, but it took my healing potion and both my mushrooms of emergency and a few CCW and speed.

He just dropped boots of radagast.

No use - 1 wis/3 stealth/5 infravision.

Petoften August 8, 2018 14:44

Killed the other, Ulthar son of Ulfang - no loot.

Petoften August 8, 2018 14:46

I had thought people said the weapon numbers were (damage, accuracy) but when I cast enchantments, they increase the reverse of that.

Petoften August 8, 2018 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petoften (Post 132570)
It showed the danger level, but nothing about loot, but I didn't get a loot message for this level yet.

OK, I did it after the message, and now it does show the message. I see the third unique monster, and it says 'not too risky...'

Petoften August 8, 2018 14:55

Bad. Khim, son of Mim, and he disenchanted two artifacts including my weapon with telepathy, and all he dropped was a normal plate armor.

Mondkalb August 8, 2018 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petoften (Post 132571)
I killed one of the uniques, Ulfang the black, but it took my healing potion and both my mushrooms of emergency and a few CCW and speed.

He just dropped boots of radagast.

No use - 1 wis/3 stealth/5 infravision.

The 3 stealth is great for a rogue ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petoften (Post 132575)
Bad. Khim, son of Mim, and he disenchanted two artifacts including my weapon with telepathy, and all he dropped was a normal plate armor.

I told you before, don't melee disenchanters.

Pete Mack August 8, 2018 15:19

More generally: dont clear levels as a rogue. Go deep, and pick off the occasional dragon or demon for EXP. Get loot from vaults and the floor. Hold off on uniques til you can kill them easily.

If you want to clear levels, play warrior or paladin.

Petoften August 8, 2018 15:25

Not liking this level - 'terribly dangerous' with 'excellent treasures' but they're next to things like a vampire lord and lich that casts for 180.

Petoften August 8, 2018 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mondkalb (Post 132576)
The 3 stealth is great for a rogue ...

I told you before, don't melee disenchanters.

You were right, I made a mistake on the boots, they're lost now.

Can an artifact like that drop again?

I'm guessing not.

I forgot about disenchanting and didn't check the report.

Petoften August 8, 2018 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 132577)
More generally: dont clear levels as a rogue. Go deep, and pick off the occasional dragon or demon for EXP. Get loot from vaults and the floor. Hold off on uniques til you can kill them easily.

If you want to clear levels, play warrior or paladin.

Ya, I've been leaving some levels that look too hard - I left one recently because it had a 5 headed hydra I didn't like.

fph August 8, 2018 15:34

Ulfang and Ulfast (or whatever they are called) always come together. Nothing strange in it.

Also, the order of the bonuses is (accuracy, damage). You were told (or remembered) wrong.

Petoften August 8, 2018 15:34

There's a new one - emperor wight. Steering clear.

Two more uniques, Sangayahando and Angamaite, but running out of arrows.

Petoften August 8, 2018 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petoften (Post 132579)
You were right, I made a mistake on the boots, they're lost now.

Oops! They were in my bag _ have them, wearing them now. Lost PNexus.

Petoften August 8, 2018 15:49

Why is a damage ring showing no more damage from arrows? Is that only melee?

Petoften August 8, 2018 15:50

I got a second scroll of acquirement. When are those good to use?

Petoften August 8, 2018 15:55

Found a rod of recall. Wonder if it's safe to take that instead of scrolls. If it gets destroyed...

Ingwe Ingweron August 8, 2018 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petoften (Post 132585)
Why is a damage ring showing no more damage from arrows? Is that only melee?

Damage ring is only melee to-damage, not missiles. Accuracy ring will help both melee and missile to-hit.

Ingwe Ingweron August 8, 2018 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petoften (Post 132586)
I got a second scroll of acquirement. When are those good to use?

Some people save them to read deep, but I think conventional wisdom is to read ?Acquirement immediately. You can hope for something that will improve your @ right now, rather than risk the scroll being burned up, producing something deeper that is useless because by then @ has found so much great stuff, or, worst of all, scroll being worthless because @ has died and always wondering, "if I'd just read that acquirement scroll earlier, maybe I'd have gotten lucky."

Ingwe Ingweron August 8, 2018 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petoften (Post 132587)
Found a rod of recall. Wonder if it's safe to take that instead of scrolls. If it gets destroyed...

Rod of Recall is a special rod, it is immune to fire and electrical damage, i.e., it can't be destroyed. However, like anything in @'s pack, it can be stolen until @ DEX is high enough to prevent stealing, so be careful around other thieves. Getting stranded deep in the dungeon because your rogue's rod of recall was stolen would be kind of poetic though. ;)

Sky August 8, 2018 19:30

Scrolls of Acquirement will drop good treasure native to your depth (plus the usual dice rolls) so i figure it's better to read at DL20 rather than DL19 (and so on - the "native to" list tends to go in -5 and -10 increments). If you hold on to them too long, they become useless, so unless you got lucky and found one on DL5 or so, read them right away, assuming you already are deep enough to get artifact drops.

It is A GOOD IDEA to carry 2-3 rods of recall, in case A) you accidentally zap yours unintentionally but want to stay on the level, or B) you recall to the dungeon and find yourself immediately in a certain-death situation.

wobbly August 8, 2018 19:38

I tend to read them straight away but usually it's because I have a full pack. I'd say if you lack Free Action or Rpois read it. Getting them will count more then a better item later

Pete Mack August 8, 2018 20:31

Never read acquirement in town. Otherwise, any time after dl 20 is OK. And no: damage bonus on other equipment does not apply to bows.

Petoften August 9, 2018 00:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 132594)
Never read acquirement in town. Otherwise, any time after dl 20 is OK. And no: damage bonus on other equipment does not apply to bows.

So does that mean the rings of accuracy I've been ignoring, I should have used - darn. Not sure what best rings are for rogue, I use a mouse ring.

Petoften August 9, 2018 00:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by wobbly (Post 132593)
I tend to read them straight away but usually it's because I have a full pack. I'd say if you lack Free Action or Rpois read it. Getting them will count more then a better item later

Luckily, I have both, and even things like PConfusion woo hoo.

Petoften August 9, 2018 00:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron (Post 132590)
Rod of Recall is a special rod, it is immune to fire and electrical damage, i.e., it can't be destroyed. However, like anything in @'s pack, it can be stolen until @ DEX is high enough to prevent stealing, so be careful around other thieves.

Good info. What DEX is needed for that? I'm at about 18/113.

Quote:

Getting stranded deep in the dungeon because your rogue's rod of recall was stolen would be kind of poetic though. ;)
Cute. Think I'll try it... no items stolen so far and I could get it back, right...

Petoften August 9, 2018 01:42

When an artifact is 'disenchanted', does that only reduce the stats like armor/damage/tohit, or can it remove things like protections?

Pete Mack August 9, 2018 01:52

18/150 DEX prevents stealing, but 18/110 is high enough that the odds of successful theft are very low. There is really only one thief that is remotely a problem for you.

And no: accuracy rings are not worth keeping. There are too many other valuable things to use ring slots for. The only tone i use them is as a high level mage or priest who needs experience fast.

Petoften August 9, 2018 02:01

In a sort of vault with lots of stuff I'm sneaking around. Lines of creatures. I'm inside about 10 squares from the door with a lot of monsters close by.

A disenchanting unique is just above blocked by a line of things, but when I go to look at an item it lets him start moving to me. I only have a few turns.

There are some unknown potions I want and an unknown scroll and I have a full inventory.

To make room I decide to read the scroll - it likely won't be an issue, the main one that would would be aggravate monster.

Guess what it was.

Petoften August 9, 2018 02:46

Hm, I have to pick a cloak with 2 stealth and resist sound, or a cloak with resist poison and other things.

Petoften August 9, 2018 02:48

Went from 28000 gold to 9000 mostly from selling two unknown potions to identify them and rebuying them when they were STR and CON.

Petoften August 9, 2018 02:50

An amulet of searching, even +6, is not worth keeping except when you have nothing more useful, right? Searching bonuses don't seem very useful.

fph August 9, 2018 03:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petoften (Post 132606)
Went from 28000 gold to 9000 mostly from selling two unknown potions to identify them and rebuying them when they were STR and CON.

It's safe (and more fun) to drink potions to find out what they are, rather than selling them. Just make sure you're in a safe situation with no monsters around (in case it's confusion/poison); the worst thing that could happen to you is a +1/-1 potion draining a precious point in the wrong stat.

The same applies to wands, staves, and scrolls (better to read scrolls on the stairs in case it's summon monsters; the worst thing that could happen is deep descent).

Bottom line: this advice does not apply to liquids you find in real life. :D

Pete Mack August 9, 2018 03:52

In a vault, there are a number of bad scrolls besides aggravate:
* Destruction
* Tele Level
* Deep Descent.
* summoning (various sorts)
Also light, but there is almost no chance of running across this unIDed at depth.

Petoften August 9, 2018 10:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 132609)
In a vault, there are a number of bad scrolls besides aggravate:
* Destruction
* Tele Level
* Deep Descent.
* summoning (various sorts)
Also light, but there is almost no chance of running across this unIDed at depth.

Oh, agreed. I've already run across others - though I hadn't heard of destruction. What's that?

And ya, I did a light in a room and aggroed a bunch of stuff, I think I was using an unidentified staff of starlight or something.

I read a 'mass banishment' and pretty much wasted it, and a tele level and lost the level I was on.

Sometimes it's tricky to travel to stairs, but I eventually did and got out of that level IIRC.

Mondkalb August 9, 2018 10:23

Scrolls of destruction and *destruction* destroy everything in a wide circle around the player similar to the staff of earthquakes and the priest spell.

Petoften August 9, 2018 22:49

Another interesting choice - weapon with 3 stealth and 'adds to regeneration' and one with telepathy.

I've picked telepathy.

Does that regeneration stack with an amulet of regeneration?

I'd carry both but the former adds 15 pounds.

Pete Mack August 9, 2018 23:10

Regen doesn't stack, no. ESP is a no brainer for a swap weapon. You may want to carry a different one with more damage for fighting serious enemies.

Ingwe Ingweron August 10, 2018 05:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 132603)
And no: accuracy rings are not worth keeping. There are too many other valuable things to use ring slots for. The only tone i use them is as a high level mage or priest who needs experience fast.

I would add Ranger to the list of classes that find Accuracy rings useful. Especially a ranger that is relying on missiles far more than melee. Damage rings are less useful, in that case, and accuracy may have more value. Also, even for other classes, an early accuracy ring is more valuable than most of the other rings you may come across. If not Speed, Damage, Slaying, or a special case need of fire, cold, poison resistance or see invisible, I would tend to favor Accuracy over pretty much every other non-artifact ring.

Petoften August 10, 2018 07:41

Oops - brain fart - I'm playing a hobbit ranger, not a hobbit rogue.

Petoften August 10, 2018 11:05

I was about to kill a pretty nasty dark elven sorcerer that summoned when he summoned a dreadmaster.

It gives over 11k experience.

I assume that's a bad thing, one of these 'one shotters'.

Petoften August 10, 2018 11:09

Never had a telepathy item before this game, now I have it on weapon and an amulet of ESP.

Petoften August 10, 2018 11:10

How do you recharge a wand when you have multiples - like '3 wands with 19 charges' as they get lower?

You're supposed to charge one only when it's low, right? Should you drop one at a time and look for a low one?

Mondkalb August 10, 2018 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petoften (Post 132645)
How do you recharge a wand when you have multiples - like '3 wands with 19 charges' as they get lower?

You're supposed to charge one only when it's low, right? Should you drop one at a time and look for a low one?

I'm not sure how the code works, but it wait till the stack is at zero and than recharge.

Dreadmaster can be dangerous.

Petoften August 10, 2018 11:22

Found a spellbook of resistances but the only one that looks a little useful is 50 armor.

Petoften August 10, 2018 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mondkalb (Post 132646)
I'm not sure how the code works, but it wait till the stack is at zero and than recharge.

Dreadmaster can be dangerous.

But won't that leave two of the three without charges?

I didn't find out about dreadmaster - teleport other.

Mondkalb August 10, 2018 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petoften (Post 132647)
Found a spellbook of resistances but the only one that looks a little useful is 50 armor.

The resistance spells are all very useful, because they stack with resistances from equipment, reducing basic breath attacks to 1/9.

Mondkalb August 10, 2018 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petoften (Post 132648)
But won't that leave two of the three without charges?

I didn't find out about dreadmaster - teleport other.

The charges are somehow shared between all devices. Just wait until they go to zero and recharge again. At least you don't loose any charges if the item is destroyed at zero.

Petoften August 10, 2018 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mondkalb (Post 132649)
The resistance spells are all very useful, because they stack with resistances from equipment, reducing basic breath attacks to 1/9.

Interesting - the game isn't clear what stacks.

Pete Mack August 10, 2018 13:20

Resist fire e.g. reduces max fire breath damage from 1600HP to 533. Add a second resistance and it becomes 177. Poison and acid max damage are 1/2 that (for acid, this assumes you have non-zero armor in all slots.)

It is a huge deal. Monsters like Smaug become a pushover.

Mondkalb August 10, 2018 13:26

In general: Resistance (basic 4 + poison) from equipment + resistance from spell or potion stacks and reduces related damage further.

Petoften August 10, 2018 15:03

Does stacking work with armor also, and is the limit to stacking 2, or more?

Mondkalb August 10, 2018 15:22

One (permanent) resistance from any equipment (armor, weapon, or jewelry) stacks with one (temporary) resistance from either potion, activation, or scroll.

Pete Mack August 10, 2018 16:49

... or mushroom. Mushrooms of emergency can be pretty useful for a warrior with rChaos (or even without it.)

Petoften August 10, 2018 21:27

It's strange, I found a 'ring of slaying' and was comparing it with the ring of the mouse and a ring of damage.

When I replace the ring of the mouse, my weapon with dragon slaying goes up from 54 to 69, but against dragons goes down from 115 to 112.

Bow damage doesn't change. So I'm going to drop it but weirs the different affect on dragons.

Petoften August 10, 2018 21:35

I cast a scroll of *destruction* in town when it was unknown and found another - I assume they're worth keeping for nasty situations?

Petoften August 10, 2018 21:40

How useful is a scroll of protection from evil? Full inv.

Petoften August 10, 2018 21:43

Wow. I found a ring of accuracy 18. When I replace damage +11, bow damage only goes from 82 to 83, but melee from 115/54 to 91/29 (dragon/normal).

Petoften August 10, 2018 21:46

How is an ancient red dragon so hard? Something made a noise and woke it up - my arrow didn't even take one star but he almost took all my HP in a round.

Petoften August 10, 2018 21:53

Posted him to the ladder.

Petoften August 10, 2018 21:56

Doesn't an item with Rpoison totally block poison damage?

Petoften August 10, 2018 21:58

Carrying teleport other, hold monster, confuse monster, deciding is staff of slow monster worth it (I just dropped a rod of slow monster) in case of no mana.

Pete Mack August 10, 2018 22:04

Petoften-
Please dont post so many single questions--it is hard to follow and hard to respond.
Resist poison is just like the base 4 resists: it cuts damage by a factor of 3, so (eg) a drolem will do 269 damage instead of 710. Ancient red dragon shouldn't be much trouble for you, with double fire resistance from Scarabtrices. It does have a cause wounds spell that can ding you for up to ~150HP, so you need to be a little careful. It also does big melee damage, but that shouldn't be a problem for a ranger.

As for why you do more damage vs dragons wearing Ring of Mouse: your weapon has enough dice and slay (or *slay*) dragon, so more blows counts for more than more damage. (This is not common.)

Petoften August 11, 2018 00:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 132687)
Petoften-
Please dont post so many single questions--it is hard to follow and hard to respond.
Resist poison is just like the base 4 resists: it cuts damage by a factor of 3, so (eg) a drolem will do 269 damage instead of 710. Ancient red dragon shouldn't be much trouble for you, with double fire resistance from Scarabtrices. It does have a cause wounds spell that can ding you for up to ~150HP, so you need to be a little careful. It also does big melee damage, but that shouldn't be a problem for a ranger.

As for why you do more damage vs dragons wearing Ring of Mouse: your weapon has enough dice and slay (or *slay*) dragon, so more blows counts for more than more damage. (This is not common.)

That's the only real way for me to do it as I run across things, other than keeping a text file or something to wait to post.

The ancient red dragon seemed to be mainly melee damage, that took almost all my HP in one round.

Why wouldn't that be a problem for a ranger? He moved to me fast so I couldn't get more than one shot off before he did (small room).

Petoften August 11, 2018 00:24

I was surprised how little the ring of accuracy helped bow damage, but maybe it's because with high dex, accuracy is already near the max.

Derakon August 11, 2018 00:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petoften (Post 132694)
That's the only real way for me to do it as I run across things, other than keeping a text file or something to wait to post.

Keep the text file and wait to post. Seriously. I'd wager that more than half the community is ignoring your threads because they get updated so frequently with such low-density content.

luneya August 11, 2018 00:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petoften (Post 132694)

The ancient red dragon seemed to be mainly melee damage, that took almost all my HP in one round.

Why wouldn't that be a problem for a ranger? He moved to me fast so I couldn't get more than one shot off before he did (small room).

Yeah, ancient dragons have pretty strong melee in addition to their breath weapons. And once you start seeing ancient multi-hued, watch out. All the multi-hued dragons are nastier than their monochromatic kin, but the difference in strength is really significant for the ancients. Don't assume you can fight an AMHD just because you've survived against other ancient dragons; it will kill you dead without breaking a sweat.

Petoften August 11, 2018 00:45

Found a ring of DEX 4, similar to accuracy it barely nudged range damage, and raised dragon damage while greatly lowering normal melee damage.

Pete Mack August 11, 2018 03:56

Well yes. Hobbit ranger has good dex anyway, so pumping it up further won't do much good. And nothing makes much difference in base archery damage except total enchantment level, and arrow dice.

A ring of accuracy might help you in melee by making it more likely to hit the monster. Just look at the to_hit probability on a known enemy. Overall damage is probability times nominal damage, and hobbit ranger has really lousy melee skill.

Petoften August 11, 2018 04:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 132700)
Well yes. Hobbit ranger has good dex anyway, so pumping it up further won't do much good. And nothing makes much difference in base archery damage except total enchantment level, and arrow dice.

A ring of accuracy might help you in melee by making it more likely to hit the monster. Just look at the to_hit probability on a known enemy. Overall damage is probability times nominal damage, and hobbit ranger has really lousy melee skill.

Ya, I don't really care about melee except when it's needed or to finish off 1 shot things. Still looking at what rings to use, but one I use is mouse.

Petoften August 11, 2018 04:55

Yeesh, back to dlevel 43, it has 'Omens' danger and right away I see a master lich worth over 13k exp a room away.

Unique dropped a glaive of lightning that does 94 to things not vulnerable to lightning but not sure it's worth keeping.

Petoften August 11, 2018 07:58

Knight templar - too strong to bother with.

Tried a polymorph, no - not sure if resisted or immune of if we can tell.

Pete Mack August 11, 2018 08:18

Teleport Other is juat so much more reliable than Polymorph. Why bother with the latter after you find the former?

Petoften August 11, 2018 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 132704)
Teleport Other is juat so much more reliable than Polymorph. Why bother with the latter after you find the former?

Well, one reason is the permanence of its effect. That Knight Templar I think I had to teleport other at least 5 times trying to get to the stairs. Stalker!

Petoften August 11, 2018 09:59

I'm weighing scrolls of teleportation and a staff. Scrolls are guaranteed, but run out. What if I run out?

Maybe it's ok to go staff instead, and not use it in an emergency - use phase door to get where I can use the staff.

Pete Mack August 11, 2018 10:12

Use the staff to get out of trouble before it gets desperate. Use the scrolls when it is desperate. Phase door is not a reliable escape, except in a vault, when it is ideal. Teleport Self is not reliable either--you may end up in just as much trouble as you left. Teleport Level and Destruction are the only really reliable escapes--always buy them when they show up in the black market. Banishment and mass banishment too, of course.

Petoften August 11, 2018 10:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 132711)
Use the staff to get out of trouble before it gets desperate. Use the scrolls when it is desperate. Phase door is not a reliable escape, except in a vault, when it is ideal. Teleport Self is not reliable either--you may end up in just as much trouble as you left. Teleport Level and Destruction are the only really reliable escapes--always buy them when they show up in the black market. Banishment and mass banishment too, of course.

Thing is, the full inv doesn't really allow carrying both - it's more of a choice. Ya, phase door usually gets you to a free spot, but not always.

Petoften August 11, 2018 11:05

Found an interesting weapon. It's a pick.

But it's (14,14) so it actually does a little more damage.

And it's acid branded. Not sure why that's so useful? Low monster resists?

It also causes earthquakes.

Hm.

Petoften August 11, 2018 11:13

Yikes. Found an ancient white dragon - ok - and then a little above, 'Smaug the Golden' described as the most powerful dragon.

wobbly August 11, 2018 11:37

I only vaguely know the mechanics here, but the "slay" or "elemental brand" applies before damage bonuses. So it multiplies the base weapon damage before adding the +damage. It gets a bit unpredictable. A =mouse can increase damage (extra blows from dex) or decrease it (-damage) & brands/slays complicate it.

Petoften August 11, 2018 14:36

I need some str; encumbered.

fph August 11, 2018 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petoften (Post 132645)

Charges are implemented in a crude way. The game does not keep track of the charges of each individual item, but only of the number of charges of the whole stack; when you separate a wand from a stack of n it always gets 1/n charges, rounded. This makes it very tedious to micromanage the number of charges, and I think most players don't bother doing it --- they just recharge when the stack is at 0 and that's it.

Also: weapons that cause earthquakes are annoying because they make dungeon navigation cumbersome. Most players won't touch them with a 10ft pole (apart from maybe wearing a certain 'trophy' artifact at the very end of the game, just before quitting).

wobbly August 11, 2018 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petoften (Post 132727)
I need some str; encumbered.

If you're still carrying what's on the ladder dump I spy 12lbs of book 3 & 13ish lbs of !csw. Both are useful but I'd prefer 2 more speed

Petoften August 11, 2018 22:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by fph (Post 132733)
Charges are implemented in a crude way. The game does not keep track of the charges of each individual item, but only of the number of charges of the whole stack; when you separate a wand from a stack of n it always gets 1/n charges, rounded. This makes it very tedious to micromanage the number of charges, and I think most players don't bother doing it --- they just recharge when the stack is at 0 and that's it.

Doesn't the risk of destroying the item when recharging increase the more charges it has? So, you don't want to recharge much?

If that's the case, doesn't it defeat the purpose of carrying multiple of the same item, because you only want a few charges?

Quote:

Also: weapons that cause earthquakes are annoying because they make dungeon navigation cumbersome. Most players won't touch them with a 10ft pole (apart from maybe wearing a certain 'trophy' artifact at the very end of the game, just before quitting).
Ya, I left that weapon on the ground. Just thought it was interesting with the (14,14) and earthquake I hadn't seen.

Maybe if it had been on something better than a pick.

Also people said 'watch for acid branded' and clarifying the reason.

Petoften August 11, 2018 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by wobbly (Post 132734)
If you're still carrying what's on the ladder dump I spy 12lbs of book 3 & 13ish lbs of !csw. Both are useful but I'd prefer 2 more speed

I am. I limited each book to 2 in case one gets destroyed. Maybe I can reduce CCW but I've seen people say 'carry at least 30' I thought.

Petoften August 11, 2018 23:40

Is there any reason to prefer wand or staff? Wands are lighter...

Petoften August 11, 2018 23:41

I can get rid of the 4 dex ring, right?

Monkey Face August 12, 2018 03:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petoften (Post 132742)
Maybe I can reduce CCW but I've seen people say 'carry at least 30' I thought.

Don't reduce !CCW, reduce !CSW.

Regarding your subsequent question on wands versus staffs, staffs usually have a wider area of effect. For example, wand of sleep monster affects one monster whereas staff affects all in LOS (although personally, I keep many of either except wands of drain life, annihilation, teleport other, and maybe some other offensive ones and staff of mapping or teleportation).

Petoften August 12, 2018 05:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkey Face (Post 132748)
Don't reduce !CCW, reduce !CSW.

Regarding your subsequent question on wands versus staffs, staffs usually have a wider area of effect. For example, wand of sleep monster affects one monster whereas staff affects all in LOS (although personally, I keep many of either except wands of drain life, annihilation, teleport other, and maybe some other offensive ones and staff of mapping or teleportation).

Ah, I hadn't noticed it's wand of confuse monster, but staff of confuse monsters. Good point on CSW, I'll put them in the house, but it's full also.

wobbly August 12, 2018 08:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petoften (Post 132744)
I can get rid of the 4 dex ring, right?

The only stat ring I'd care about for hobbit ranger is con. The others don't effect a bow, it's only going to be an issue of whether you can get the hps. Chances are you can find enough con else where to use speed rings instead.

wobbly August 12, 2018 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petoften (Post 132741)
Doesn't the risk of destroying the item when recharging increase the more charges it has? So, you don't want to recharge much?

If that's the case, doesn't it defeat the purpose of carrying multiple of the same item, because you only want a few charges?

I think this might of been fixed in recent versions. If you have x no. of wands & x-1 charges it's the same odds as an empty device

Besides destroying 1 when you have 2 isn't so bad and if you don't have rblind you'll probably want 2 teleport staves to deal with accidents

Adam August 12, 2018 11:11

I don't play 4.1.2, so i don't know how ranger shots were changed in that version (in older versions rangers get +1 shot at level 20 and one more at level 40).
But i would take a look at the ammo you store at home.
After next recall i would equip the sling and check how much damage the different types do compared to the basic (0:0) arrows (and probably drop most of them). I know that your sling is weaker than your bow but i bet you will never use most of those pebbles and iron shots.
Also carrying 5 types of books with 45 SP seems to much to me, but it depends on playstyle (what spells you use from them and how often). For example i normally don't carry book 2, teleport staff or scroll is enough. Book 4 may also be something to think about, TO/haste is probably too much mana and too high failure rate (at least to my taste, i don't rest just to retry haste again).
You have temp resist activation on your cloak, don't forget to use it (but i would still carry the resistances book).

Pete Mack August 12, 2018 11:48

Ranger will never use the crossbow, either. He gets no extra shot, so an x3 bow is strictly better than an x3 crossbow. An endgame Ranger will always, always use a bow--Bard or an x5 Lothlorien longbow if he can get it.

Petoften August 12, 2018 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by wobbly (Post 132751)
The only stat ring I'd care about for hobbit ranger is con. The others don't effect a bow, it's only going to be an issue of whether you can get the hps. Chances are you can find enough con else where to use speed rings instead.

Haven't seen any speed - right now I want STR since I'm encumbered losing speed and bow damage. I lost some STR drinking a potion...

Petoften August 12, 2018 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 132756)
You have temp resist activation on your cloak, don't forget to use it (but i would still carry the resistances book).

Thanks for the reminder - I had forgotten that was on the cloak because it didn't seem to matter when I thought it was not useful.