Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Competition (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Next competition (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=1086)

Jay March 29, 2012 07:15

Here's an idea: Has there ever been a comp using Vanilla where the goal was to kill not only Morgoth but also every other unique? Might be an interesting wrinkle.

Philip March 29, 2012 13:57

Actually, yes. An NPP comp a while ago had the winner criteria based first on whether Morgy was killed, then on how many uniques were killed.

fizzix March 29, 2012 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay (Post 67968)
Here's an idea: Has there ever been a comp using Vanilla where the goal was to kill not only Morgoth but also every other unique? Might be an interesting wrinkle.

Hunting down all the uniques is painfully boring (i've done it once...and only once). That being said, I wouldn't mind comps with shorter or different goals, something like:

Code:

Reach clevel 30
Ironman, reach dlevel 50
Kill a unique deeper than level 40
Get 100k gold (no selling)
Get characters from all 6 classes to dlevel 15
kill N of a certain monster type.  Like 5 black reavers, or 1000 orcs.


LostTemplar March 29, 2012 18:07

Kill 1000 orcs is a nice goal IMHO.

debo March 30, 2012 04:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostTemplar (Post 67985)
Kill 1000 orcs is a nice goal IMHO.

And you're required to listen to this song while doing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVcYsT9WPcs

Jay April 1, 2012 02:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by fizzix (Post 67980)
Hunting down all the uniques is painfully boring (i've done it once...and only once).

I'm surprised by this -- the times that I've won, I've always made it a point to kill all the uniques because, well, they were there, and I also figured they'd have good drops. But I looked at my character for comp 119 and sure enough, not many of the items I use came from uniques. Do most people just avoid the tough uniques and *destruct* them when they get summoned at the final battle? No wonder I'm so slow by comparison!

Derakon April 1, 2012 04:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay (Post 68073)
Do most people just avoid the tough uniques and *destruct* them when they get summoned at the final battle? No wonder I'm so slow by comparison!

It's certainly what I do. There's too many "I'd rather Morgoth not summon this guy" uniques out there for it to be worth my time to actually prevent him from summoning them, so I just deal with it when he does.

This doesn't necessarily work equally well in all variants. I believe that NPP assumes you're going to kill all the uniques before fighting Sauron. But NPP's spellcasting is considerably more intelligent than Vanilla's (to the point that when fighting enemy spellcasters with healing spells, you basically have to drain their entire mana pool before you can actually kill them).

nppangband April 1, 2012 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derakon (Post 68074)

I believe that NPP assumes you're going to kill all the uniques before fighting Sauron.

It isn't quite assumed, but it does offer a distinct tactical advantage. With all uniques killed when Morgoth or Sauron cast "summon uniques" nothing appears, they are charged the mana and their turn is wasted. IIRC in older vanilla versions with all uniques killed greater undead are summoned instead, so it was preferable to allow several low-level uniques to live before the final battle.

Magnate April 1, 2012 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by nppangband (Post 68092)
It isn't quite assumed, but it does offer a distinct tactical advantage. With all uniques killed when Morgoth or Sauron cast "summon uniques" nothing appears, they are charged the mana and their turn is wasted. IIRC in older vanilla versions with all uniques killed greater undead are summoned instead, so it was preferable to allow several low-level uniques to live before the final battle.

That's still the case. I must say I rather like your alternative. Especially once we put in monster mana (any year now).

half April 1, 2012 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnate (Post 68099)
Especially once we put in monster mana (any year now).

Just do what I did: fork from NPPAngband (one of the 2004 versions or later) instead of Vanilla, it already has the 4GAI built in!


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:54.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.