Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Angband Borg 3.0.9 and windows (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=561)

Zappa February 18, 2008 10:53

Angband Borg 3.0.9 and windows
 
How can i get this and the screensaver to work? i've replaced the .exe but it tells me that the settings are wrong and to reinstall.

Zappa February 18, 2008 13:27

Ok well i spent a few hours trying to compile but i'm not understanding how. is there a precompiled version with borg already enabled i can download?

APWhite February 18, 2008 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zappa (Post 5621)
Ok well i spent a few hours trying to compile but i'm not understanding how. is there a precompiled version with borg already enabled i can download?

All you had to do was email me. I could have hooked you up. The borg page now has a precompiled screensaver. check here for the 309 download.

Be sure to report any goofy borg errors. There are still some issues to hammer out with the upgrade to 309.

I tried to get it running on a different comp but it was freaking out. The program wouldn't even launch. I am getting the same error Zappa is on one of my desktop machines. It runs perfectly on my laptop where it is compiled and such. It is compiled with VS2005.

Let me know if you have any problems on different machines.

EDIT:
after doing some checking. If I compile it with Borland's freecommandlinetools, it seems to work. So there must be some sort of linker missing on my desktop. So if anyone wants to see why my VS2005 project won't work on other machines, let me know. In the meantime, I will compile using BCC. It does make a slightly smaller file too.
APWhite

Kadoles February 18, 2008 18:30

I cant get it to work either. i think i'm missing the ini for the screen saver and when i try to run angband, i get a missing dll error.

APWhite February 18, 2008 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kadoles (Post 5623)
I cant get it to work either. i think i'm missing the ini for the screen saver and when i try to run angband, i get a missing dll error.

I just made an upload at 12:40 Central Time. It should be working now. The correct INI is included now. Both Angband.scr and Angband.ini need to go into your Windows directory.

I tested it on my desktop machine and the Borland version is working fine now.

BTW, what DLL error did you get?

Kadoles February 18, 2008 19:31

after replaceing the exe file, i get the missing dll error.

this is the missing .dll file: MSVCR80d.dll

i'm running win98SE is that helps.

I need a borg for dummies guide.

1. install angband
2. download new exe
3. download scr file
4. make sure scr and ini are in windows dir

edit ini? i couldnt see anywhere in the ini to select the path.
is the ini included in the scr zip or the exe zip?

i'm going to clear history/cache/cookies/temp files and
try it again.

zaimoni February 18, 2008 22:36

(MSVCR80.dll/Win98) That is the problem, apparently; your Windows didn't ship with that and you have no other applications installed that use it.

You should still be able to download it from Microsoft, however.

APWhite February 19, 2008 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kadoles (Post 5625)
after replaceing the exe file, i get the missing dll error.
I need a borg for dummies guide.

1. install angband
2. download new exe
3. download scr file
4. make sure scr and ini are in windows dir

edit ini? i couldnt see anywhere in the ini to select the path.
is the ini included in the scr zip or the exe zip?

i'm going to clear history/cache/cookies/temp files and
try it again.

The angband.ini file to which I am referring is a very short file that points to your angband directory. It tells the screensaver where to find the rest of the game files (including that other angband.ini file which is found in the angband directory). The proper screensaver angband.ini file is included with the screensaver package. It needs to be in the Windows directory, same as the Angband.scr file. It is a short file, only 3 lines long. Mine looks like this:
Code:

[Angband]
AngbandPath="C:\games\angband-3.0.9\"
SaverFile="Saver"

The other angband.ini file (found in the windows executable) is for the game, not the screensaver. It is a big file with lots of lines of code. It tells the game how to set up the term windows and where to position the game window and such. That file should stay in the angband directory.

I have tested the new files. They seem to work for me. Try downloading the new ones. The time stamp for the scr and exe files is 12:27pm on Feb 18th.

If you are having problems with that file (with the correct time stamp) then let me know via email.

APWhite

Kadoles February 20, 2008 17:42

309 works perfect at home.

i got 306 to run at work. if i have time later, i'll look at 309 again and try to get it to run at work.

in 306 screensaver: level 43 gnome mage so far. had a couple chars die between cl 1-4.

in 309 screensaver: level 23 half-troll warrior. havent looked at the dead chars yet. The half troll is pretty cool, 18/80 str/4 intel/4 cha...

Zappa February 24, 2008 06:38

Everything works great, thank you. i've had two borgs go to level 50 so far both have died. this current one at 42 looks promising. sometimes the screensavers stops when the inv is full and there is multiple things on the spot the borg is standing. other than that everything is right on.

Dramed March 1, 2008 13:53

Borg Stability
 
Is there a stability issue with the 309 borg?

I dont use the screen saver i just run the borg on an old P3 1.2 I have kicking about just to give it something to do and add to global warming ;)

I have recently begun to run angband 309, but as yet i have not had a run of longer than 12 hours without a crash, I have tried it on 2 xp machines and 1 vista (32bit) machine, same troubles on each one. It just locks up seemingly at random and the standard windows error box pops up (report error to MS blar blar) then i have to force close the application.

I used to run angband 306 borg for weeks on end.. it would occasionally loop, or unhook, but it never crashed / locked up.

I have returned to 306, to verify if it is my machine or not, if it makes it to tomorrow, then it out performs 309 and i will leave it running.

One other question, do you have a borg forum andrew or could we have a borg section on this site? never have I seen such a dedicated angband tinkerer, keep up the good work with the borg and thx for many many hours or mind numbing fun ;)

Sephiroth2906 December 4, 2009 00:11

What is he thinking!
 
I let the borg run in the backround at work, and after a week or so, it has a level 28 hobbit warrior, who seems to be doing ok so far, but today it did something I cannot understand. It had been using Nimthanc for a while, but, sometime during the day today it got rid of that in favor of a +8+5 Main Gauche. Why on earth would it do that? Is it a bug or is it way smarter than me?:D (3.0.9 btw)

Netbrian December 5, 2009 01:34

Is it just me, or is the latest version of the borg prone to fits of slowness? I have a fairly powerful computer, but it'll often just crawl (especially if it has to do any tunneling.) It also doesn't seem to handle rubble very well.

APWhite April 21, 2010 16:11

The 309 borg seems to be working well. I have not had any reports of crashing. On my machine it has not been crashing. The only report I have on the to-do list is that the borg is not storing things in his home correctly. I am in the middle of investigating it now. I'm not sure when it will be fixed, but I will keep on it.

I have been spending a lot of time on the zangband240 borg. You guys should try running Vampire Mindcrafters on it. If the borg can survive to level 7 then it has a good shot at making it to level 50.

Andrew

dhegler April 23, 2010 18:11

I've been playing with it as my screensaver and it is SO cool...

However, is there any list of "Reason for not diving" codes?

My guy is stuck is stuck at a depth of 9 at clvl 19, even set as risky....... It said 'rs tele&esc (1)'...

Is there any documentation out there?

A couple of odd things... He had a dagger +8,+3 equipped, then sold an unidentified main gauche {excellent}. ??? Does the borg identify things marked {excellent}? At least in the early levels? Also, he seemed to not be using WoR to dive, but used them to return 99% of the time until I turned it to "risky".

APWhite April 24, 2010 02:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhegler (Post 32691)
I've been playing with it as my screensaver and it is SO cool...

1. However, is there any list of "Reason for not diving" codes?

My guy is stuck is stuck at a depth of 9 at clvl 19, even set as risky....... It said 'rs tele&esc (1)'...

2. Is there any documentation out there?

3. A couple of odd things... He had a dagger +8,+3 equipped, then sold an unidentified main gauche {excellent}. ??? Does the borg identify things marked {excellent}? At least in the early levels?

4. Also, he seemed to not be using WoR to dive, but used them to return 99% of the time until I turned it to "risky".

Responding:
1. Yes the list is in borg4.c. "rs" means Restock. He must immediately leave the dungeon to get something. In this case, Phase and Teleport items.

2. Borg4.c, but not what one would consider a cheat-sheet or anything.

3. Yes, he will ID {excellent} items in the equipment list, and inventory. In fact, he makes it a priority to buy ?ID if he has an {excellent} item.

4. He does not ?WoR until deeper in the dungeon (maybe depth 10 or so. He tries to save money. At $250 ?WoR can break the bank. As for leaving via ?WoR. He tends to flee the dungeon like a rat from a sinking ship. If a dungeon level is pretty scare, he tries to get off asap.

Thanks for comments. Keep the bug reports coming. I may not get here very often, but I mess with the borg almost everyday. Certainly the zborg every day.

Andrew

dhegler April 30, 2010 11:50

Another odd thing... He was using a sling +0,+0 and found a short bow +4, +3 (or similar), then sold it or dropped it, rather than restocking with arrows rather than pebbles and shots when back in town. This was a warrior with 18+ STR, so weight couldn't have been an issue, but the missiles would have been lighter anyway.

I seem to have a problem with my borgs starving. I have had two starve to death of 6 or so deaths recently. Last night I watched him try to find his way out of level 5 (with no WoR) and go from about 9 rations to 5, which is where I stepped in. Sometimes he has odd search behavior... If I were the borg, I would search on and next to doors and at the end of hallways. However, he tends to search mid-hallway almost more than end-hallway.

As I see odd things, I will report them, if anyone is interested. On Windows 7, I can keep my mouse on my secondary montiro, wait 1 minute for hte screensaver to come up, and watch while I work on my secondary monitor. For some reason, the actual Angband 3.0.9 will not run the borg.

dhegler April 30, 2010 13:58

Another suggestion... my HT Warrior is at 18/70 STR and he does not mine the gold from the walls. It would probably take an average of 10 turns to get it, and considering how "valuable" gold is to the borg, maybe there should be something in the code to check for gold in walls, unless I missed the option in there.

Perhaps that would allow my borg to go and buy more WoR so he doesn't spend so much time scumming at dlvl 1-5, actually making him more efficient...?

dhegler April 30, 2010 15:58

As I watch, my borg walks right past or around gold/copper on the ground... Literally 3 spaces around... There should be very little "cost" to picking up existing gold, I would think, considering how high maintenance my borg is regarding his horrible shopping habit. ;)

dhegler April 30, 2010 16:11

Last comment... He was just using a sling +3, +3 and had an {excellent} sling in inventory. Next thing I do, I look at him in town and he either dropped it, or sold it, but kept the +3, +3!?!? I would think just about any ego item would be better than a low-power {good} sling...

Still, extremely fun to watch periodically...

buzzkill April 30, 2010 20:56

He knows you're watching. He's just screwing with ya.

APWhite May 1, 2010 01:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhegler (Post 32954)
Another odd thing... He was using a sling +0,+0 and found a short bow +4, +3 (or similar), then sold it or dropped it, rather than restocking with arrows rather than pebbles and shots when back in town. This was a warrior with 18+ STR, so weight couldn't have been an issue, but the missiles would have been lighter anyway.

This I have seen a few times and it has been reported for a few years now. I have made several attempts to stop the behavior and the borg is doing much less frequently now. Basically this happens when a certain sequence sequence happens. He must (in order) run out of his own ammunition, find a missile weapon, then find ammunition for the new missile weapon. He must do this within a couple of turns.

He is programmed to junk ammunition which does not match his proper bow. But he may (and obviously does) swap out his proper bow for the crappy one. And he will only do it if he has ammunition for the new bow. There is a sequence issue. The borg is programmed to consider wearing equipment before considering crushing any of his inventory. If I could have the crushing considered before the wearing, then it would solve that issue but then it creates a host of worse problems. I will revisit the issue this weekend.

As far as mining for gold. The borg does know how to do this, he also knows how to carry a digger tool along for just this sort of thing. It turned out that he was more efficient selling loot. It boiled down to strength and digging skills being so low at low clevel. By the time he could mine gold and not have to worry about being slowed down by carrying a shovel, he was high enough level that the gold didn't matter as much. Right now he will mine gold if he has the Stone to Mud spell or a digging skill of 40, and has less than $1mill.

As far as selling that {excellent} sling. That is a problem. There are special checks for him to make sure he ID's {good} and {excellent} items before selling them. I will check the code and make sure he is not passing them over.

Andrew

dhegler May 3, 2010 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzkill (Post 32972)
He knows you're watching. He's just screwing with ya.

That gave me a heck of a laugh. I just saw him pick up and id-by-use an excellent sling and keep it, thank goodness.

dhegler May 3, 2010 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by APWhite (Post 32986)

As far as selling that {excellent} sling. That is a problem. There are special checks for him to make sure he ID's {good} and {excellent} items before selling them. I will check the code and make sure he is not passing them over.

Andrew

He may have dropped it too... All I know is by the time I looked next, he was in town, no more excellent sling, and he kept the "good" one.

Maybe you should check on STR for mining... Mining with 18/50 is relatively easy with any weapon, let alone a digger. It could provide a nice boost for warriors. Could get tedious if you had a dwarf who sensed things in walls though...

dhegler May 3, 2010 16:28

I saw that there was some borg discussion on the development board.

Not that I could do it, but if additional documentation was given to control how the borg acts (I get lost in all the formula stuff in the borg.txt file), would people be interested in having a borg contest? See who could get a borg to win in the least turns, etc?

I just think it is so cool watching my borg play around during lunches, etc... It could almost become an Angband variant on its own...

I know that if given the proper protocols and explanations for how his activities work in the borg.txt file, I would be interested... There is already some good documentation in it, but I heed the warning given "not to touch anything here else you can expect erratic borg behavior" or whatever it says.

Kudos to the programming already in there!!!

Derakon May 3, 2010 16:46

Heh. Sounds like trying to run an evolutionary algorithm on the borg's parameters. Start with the base parameters, make a bunch of random small tweaks, run all those borgs, and the ones that make it to some specific depth and live for some specified number of turns after that point "survive" to have their genes mixed with more mutations thrown in...

APWhite May 3, 2010 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derakon (Post 33069)
Heh. Sounds like trying to run an evolutionary algorithm on the borg's parameters. Start with the base parameters, make a bunch of random small tweaks, run all those borgs, and the ones that make it to some specific depth and live for some specified number of turns after that point "survive" to have their genes mixed with more mutations thrown in...

I was thinking about doing this about 8 yrs ago. I was going to have the borg decide what he needed at certain depths. My basic plan was to have him start fresh with no understanding of monsters or their different attacks. Then learn as he progressed. He would need to learn about resistances and when monsters started using breath weapons and at what levels these monsters would show up. It seemed like a neat project but that information didn't really help with tactics beyond fearing monsters and carrying certain resistance items. This was simply knowledge acquisition with simple association, not innovation.

What would really make a cool borg is one that could try innovative techniques and evaluate the result. I'm not interested in programming that though. Sounds way too time consuming. Maybe if I were working on a PhD and needed a project.

Andrew

Zikke May 3, 2010 18:06

Unfortunately the game isn't balanced to be able to learn from your mistakes as your character levels up; you will be killed. Unless you were referring to the borg learning from multiple character deaths instead of within the lifecycle of one character.

dhegler May 4, 2010 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by APWhite (Post 33070)
I was thinking about doing this about 8 yrs ago. I was going to have the borg decide what he needed at certain depths. My basic plan was to have him start fresh with no understanding of monsters or their different attacks. Then learn as he progressed. He would need to learn about resistances and when monsters started using breath weapons and at what levels these monsters would show up. It seemed like a neat project but that information didn't really help with tactics beyond fearing monsters and carrying certain resistance items. This was simply knowledge acquisition with simple association, not innovation.

What would really make a cool borg is one that could try innovative techniques and evaluate the result. I'm not interested in programming that though. Sounds way too time consuming. Maybe if I were working on a PhD and needed a project.

Andrew

Anyone here working an a PhD in Artificial Intelligence? :rolleyes:

reidypeidy September 13, 2010 21:11

The link to the screensaver file is no longer working. Does anyone have a copy they can repost or send me?

APWhite September 14, 2010 02:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by reidypeidy (Post 39996)
The link to the screensaver file is no longer working. Does anyone have a copy they can repost or send me?

My ISP "accidentally" cut my permissions for my webspace and deleted the files. I am working with them to get a restore from a backup. Also, my laptop died and it stored all the borg source files. No worries. I have the laptop drive, just no machine to plug it into. I have an adapter so I can hook it up to my desktop machine, but the converter is at college with my son. I should get all my stuff back in about 3 weeks. So hold tight until the ISP returns my files, or I get my adapter back from the kid.

Andrew

s0be September 14, 2010 03:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by APWhite (Post 40007)
My ISP "accidentally" cut my permissions for my webspace and deleted the files. I am working with them to get a restore from a backup. Also, my laptop died and it stored all the borg source files. No worries. I have the laptop drive, just no machine to plug it into. I have an adapter so I can hook it up to my desktop machine, but the converter is at college with my son. I should get all my stuff back in about 3 weeks. So hold tight until the ISP returns my files, or I get my adapter back from the kid.

Andrew

I follow your work religiously. I will gladly donate a laptop hardrive to usb adapter if you want.

--

Pat Erley

d_m September 14, 2010 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by APWhite (Post 40007)
My ISP "accidentally" cut my permissions for my webspace and deleted the files.

That certainly wasn't very hospitable.

Glad to hear it's going to be back up though!

reidypeidy September 22, 2010 22:07

So no one has a copy of the screensaver anymore?

APWhite September 23, 2010 00:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by reidypeidy (Post 40332)
So no one has a copy of the screensaver anymore?

Good news. I got the web access back. Next I need to replace my laptop and recover my drive. Probably two weeks away. We are moving out of state next week. Alloy gear is still in storage.

Andrew

APWhite October 18, 2010 00:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by APWhite (Post 40337)
Good news. I got the web access back. Next I need to replace my laptop and recover my drive. Probably two weeks away. We are moving out of state next week. Alloy gear is still in storage.

Andrew

OK, I have moved from South Dakota and relocated to St.George Utah. I got internet access and my laptop is fixed. The next hurdle for me is finding a suitable hosting site. I suppose my ISP might have space for me. I will check into it and keep the files posted.

Andrew

d_m October 18, 2010 06:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by APWhite (Post 41392)
OK, I have moved from South Dakota and relocated to St.George Utah. I got internet access and my laptop is fixed. The next hurdle for me is finding a suitable hosting site. I suppose my ISP might have space for me. I will check into it and keep the files posted.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I have server space available so the borg can be online while you get back on your feet. Email me at my forum username @plastic-idolatry.com if you are interested.

Hope the unpacking goes OK!

flechette October 21, 2010 20:59

The lack of your website was seriously disheartening. I'm glad to know you're still around and kicking! It gives my machine something to do while I'm not home. ^^

Magnate October 27, 2010 20:31

Yup, welcome back. Do stroll over to github.com and get yourself an account: I'd love to see an updated borg enter the 3.1.x codebase ...


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 20:35.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.