Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Sil (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Smithing Time! (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=9719)

DavidMedley December 17, 2019 12:21

Smithing Time!
 
Well I finally allowed myself to peek into Artifice. That's gonna cost me at least 30 hours of my life! So many possibilities, even at 100'!

What are the favorite Sil-Q recipes out there? A polearm with (duh) Polearm Mastery caught my eye immediately.

DavidMedley December 17, 2019 14:08

3 Uses?
 
Hmm, I didn't notice that using Artifice automatically requires 3 uses of the forge. That tempers my excitement a bit.

debo December 17, 2019 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMedley (Post 141829)
Hmm, I didn't notice that using Artifice automatically requires 3 uses of the forge. That tempers my excitement a bit.

Good smithing pun!

Quirk December 17, 2019 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMedley (Post 141829)
Hmm, I didn't notice that using Artifice automatically requires 3 uses of the forge. That tempers my excitement a bit.

Usually Artifice is taken a little later on as having one really exceptional item is outweighed in the early game by filling in obvious lacks. However, you don't need a great deal of Smithing to make powerful items, particularly if you're willing to make use of the Danger curse; a flame-branded Great Spear with Danger comes in at only 11 Smithing.

DavidMedley December 17, 2019 16:47

Sure, it only makes sense. But when I thought I was gonna create 3 (admittedly weak) artifacts at 100' my eyes got as big as Grond.

DavidMedley December 18, 2019 03:56

Putting 1500 points into Smithing and Jeweler for a Horn of Terror and a couple other trinkets seems like a good investment for Elbereth/Majesty builds.

wobbly December 18, 2019 04:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by debo (Post 141830)
Good smithing pun!

I hope it quenched your thirst for puns.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMedley (Post 141856)
Putting 1500 points into Smithing and Jeweler for a Horn of Terror and a couple other trinkets seems like a good investment for Elbereth/Majesty builds.

I played a bunch of these. They're fun, just be careful of horrors which are immune to both.

DavidMedley December 18, 2019 23:35

Blood in the Water
 
I tried this a couple times. Seems like everything's going great and I'm the world's greatest genius, then I get low on health and suddenly the piranhas are all over me! Gotta be more careful with my health and escape routes because it can all go wrong so fast.

Starting with a Horn of Terror is pretty awesome, though. I've also been making
a Ring of Ered Luin <+1>
It improves your will by 1. It provides resistance to fear
and confusion.
an Amulet of the Vigilant Eye <+1>
It improves your perception by 1. It provides resistance to
hallucination. It grants you the ability: Keen Senses.

DavidMedley December 20, 2019 05:08

Forge Appearance
 
What controls when a forge appears? I know there are 3 guaranteed forge levels, but it seems like you can still "miss" it by (guessing) seeing the room but not using the forge. So I'm paranoid to leave those levels until I've used the forge.

Outside of those three, is it totally random? I saw someone refer to guessing how many are left... so do you only get X additional forges per game?

wobbly December 20, 2019 07:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMedley (Post 141884)
What controls when a forge appears? I know there are 3 guaranteed forge levels, but it seems like you can still "miss" it by (guessing) seeing the room but not using the forge. So I'm paranoid to leave those levels until I've used the forge.

Outside of those three, is it totally random? I saw someone refer to guessing how many are left... so do you only get X additional forges per game?

If that was me guessing how many are left it refered to turncount. Forges are created on level gen. For the guaranteed forges its when that depth first gens. 500' (or 550' if you shaft from 450').

The non-guaranteed forges are special rooms. The odds of a special room increase with depth (see generate.c). For the proportion of forge to non-forges look in rooms.txt

The short of the long is unexplored rooms on your level are no more likely to be forges then unexplored rooms on a new level and there are more deeper. Though I've never run the numbers to check if theres a sweet spot for forge chance.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:34.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.