Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Idle chatter (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Any good links for learning C? (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=7217)

the Invisible Stalker March 6, 2015 07:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzkill (Post 99261)
Started writing simple programs.

That was the case for me as well, and probably for most people, but in retrospect I think I would probably have been better off working on pieces of a large program. I got a lot of good, and some bad, advice early on, but on a very small project the difference between the two is often not obvious. I guess what I'm trying to say is, learning C by working on Angband would have been a lot better than starting with "hello world".

Antoine March 6, 2015 07:53

In my experience the hardest thing is downloading the environment, and the project, and getting the environment to compile the project successfully, and then uploading any changes you may make to the project.

Once you can do that, the rest is pretty easy.

A.

Nivim March 6, 2015 21:45

You people and your "environment"s and "IDE"s.[/curmudgeon] Don't those have a tendency to hide things from you and so are really bad to start with? :/

buzzkill March 7, 2015 00:19

When I say IDE, I really mean compiler. I write code in Notepad++. If my IDE does other stuff, I'm largely unaware of it.

AnonymousHero March 7, 2015 06:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nivim (Post 99278)
You people and your "environment"s and "IDE"s.[/curmudgeon] Don't those have a tendency to hide things from you and so are really bad to start with? :/

Not really, IMO. The old style text-editor is so far behind in many respects that you're really just reducing your productivity by not using an IDE. Especially symbol lookup and "find usages" style functionality is immensely improved for C++ code in IDEs that actually understand the code (not just on a superficial level as in "ctags"). This has been the case since Clang integration became a thing for C/C++ IDEs. My current favorite is QtCreator, but I mostly work in C++, so YMMV.

Therem Harth March 7, 2015 17:01

Hmm, IDEs. I use Geany myself, but not its full set of features, and it lacks a lot of high-end IDE features anyway; more a matter of learning curve than anything else. If you're a newbie, you should probably install Code::Blocks or such, the better to learn a more powerful tool.

Or so I would think...

dos350 March 23, 2015 10:14

a book can help,,

but really, u just need 2get started~

no abuse please but i suggest learn c++ instead!!

i began programming on an implementation of basic,,, i think this helped me prepare for learning c(++)

wat/how u should learn also depends on wat u want 2 do,

but dont be afraid my friend, if u r determined, there are more than enough resources available for free, online, 2 get u going and going far..

dont give up~