Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   which stats affect archery? (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=8149)

Sky December 8, 2016 03:57

which stats affect archery?

so, early in my career as a randart ranger .. i found a x6 longbow, (+9, +22).
im CL40 and a seeker arrow of flame hits for 1172 dmg. (huehue)

so .. wondering. what stats affect archery?
i wana see if i can 1-shot morgoth.

edit: woha! i can enchant my own arrows AND artifacts?

i'm actually seeing that using or not a ring of DEX +5 barely affects the archery damage.

edit 2: ok, wow, the class is overpowered. i just lolled my way through a greater vault with the phoenix and he maiar of the sun.

Pete Mack December 8, 2016 05:23

Ranger starts off as a weak class and ends up laughably strong, with overpowered damage AND some ridiculous spells.

Derakon December 8, 2016 05:34

Morgoth has 20000 hitpoints. The only variant I know of where he's in one-shot territory is ToME2, where alchemists can get arbitrary numbers of blows per round if they're willing to grind until the sun turns into a small lump of coal.

Pete Mack December 8, 2016 06:07

You can come close with thaumaturgy, and not nearly so much effort. First do the usual create walls. Then area blast gravity.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Derakon (Post 116215)
Morgoth has 20000 hitpoints. The only variant I know of where he's in one-shot territory is ToME2, where alchemists can get arbitrary numbers of blows per round if they're willing to grind until the sun turns into a small lump of coal.

Derakon December 8, 2016 06:11

Wouldn't gravity teleport him away? But otherwise, point taken. Thaumaturgy is also pretty ridiculous.

Pete Mack December 8, 2016 06:29

I forget which element does arbitrary slowing and significant damage. Whichever it is, it will kill just about any enemy before he gets a single move.

AnonymousHero December 8, 2016 07:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 116218)
I forget which element does arbitrary slowing and significant damage. Whichever it is, it will kill just about any enemy before he gets a single move.

It's inertia... and yes, it is just that ridiculous. (Though IIRC it's pretty unlikely that you'll get a high-level Area-Inertia spell. I can't recall offhand if if the slowing effect is based on monster level vs. spell level in any way, so it still might work with low-level Area-Inertia... or at least you could cast a few times and then just use a high-level $whatever spell to finish him off while he stands there with ~1 turn per 100 of your turns.)

Sky December 8, 2016 14:34

ok cool but, what stats affect archery ?

Derakon December 8, 2016 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky (Post 116230)
ok cool but, what stats affect archery ?

I expect that DEX has a minor effect on your chance to hit (though your class and level will have a much bigger impact), but otherwise none of them.

Sky December 8, 2016 16:42

in fact, rings of damage do not help. i'll try pumping speed.