Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Variants (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Questions about default auto destroy settings [Frog] (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=10006)

budswell April 30, 2020 14:57

Questions about default auto destroy settings [Frog]

So there've been a few things that puzzle me in the default autodestroy file (pickpref).

Have two questions about this:
Code:

~mushroom of hallucination

?:[EQU $RACE Snotling Doppelganger]
~mushroom
?:1

1. Why would you ever not want to auto destroy a mushroom of Hallucination? When are they ever useful?
  2. What is special about mushrooms for snotlings and doppelgangers? (I am playing my first ever doppelganger)

Sideways April 30, 2020 17:21

Snotlings get special bonuses from eating a mushroom (any mushroom): in addition to the mushroom's normal effects, it will temporarily make the Snotling hasted, stone-skinned, heroic and gigantic. Doppelgangers can assume the form of a Snotling, and receive the same bonuses Snotlings do if they eat a mushroom in Snotling form. Doppelgangers and Snotlings are banned from all shroomeries so they don't have access to a cheap and reliable mushroom supply.

Mushrooms of hallucination have some niche uses. In particular, if they hallucinate you they also set your mana to zero, which can be an advantage if you plan to fight somebody who heals from your mana. But mostly they're there so people can eat them :)

Bostock May 1, 2020 08:52

I found that particular autodestroyer line useful for being so annoying that it forced me to learn how to edit the autodestroyer.

wobbly May 1, 2020 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostock (Post 145093)
I found that particular autodestroyer line useful for being so annoying that it forced me to learn how to edit the autodestroyer.

Was having to manually pick them up that much of a hassle?

Gotta free free free your mind....

budswell June 20, 2020 08:31

Another question about this:
Code:

?:[EQU $CLASS Ninja Ninja-Lawyer]
(~ego lights:of darkness
feanorian
Iron Spike#@vz
?:1

Why would Ninjas want feanorian lamps? If I carry a lightsouce I cannot hide right?

Sideways June 20, 2020 16:40

For reforging. Ego lamps of darkness are rare, and even if found they give nothing to the player besides the darkness, so ninjas would much like to have an artifact dark lamp; reforging doesn't guarantee one, of course, but with enough attempts you will likely get lucky eventually.

budswell June 20, 2020 16:57

Ah. 2nd reforging answer in a row for me. One day I'll get far enough along to find out what its all about.
Thanks again for your quick answer. All this infor is very much appreciated

budswell October 12, 2020 07:03

Couple more. Why are the following no auto destroyed (or why will the shops buy them for 1gp):
- Mushrooms of Disease
- Mushrooms of Unhealth
- Potions of salt water
- Potions of slowness
- Potions of poison
- Potions of booze

Are they not completely useless?
Can you throw(v) the potions as crappy weapons?

Sideways October 12, 2020 08:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by budswell (Post 148762)
Couple more. Why are the following no auto destroyed (or why will the shops buy them for 1gp):
- Mushrooms of Disease
- Mushrooms of Unhealth
- Potions of salt water
- Potions of slowness
- Potions of poison
- Potions of booze

Are they not completely useless?
Can you throw(v) the potions as crappy weapons?

Mushrooms of Disease and Unhealth can hurt monsters when thrown. Splashes from Potions of Slowness can slow monsters (although it's a very low-level effect, and so not really useful). Splashes from Potions of Booze can confuse monsters, they are frequently used for that purpose by early-game characters and by berserkers. (Booze is the most-used of the items you listed, and its usefulness is noted at a couple places in the help.) Potions of Salt Water cure poison and gorgedness, albeit at a heavy cost.

Potions of Poison are worth 0gp and treated as worthless junk by both the Mogaminator and the Easy Destroyer, although they can still be thrown for (almost negligible) poison damage.

budswell October 12, 2020 10:20

Thanks. My low level chars just tend to throw ammo when I can't/won't melee. Will keep in mind these options too.