Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Development (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Removal suggestions (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=4789)

Shockbolt August 13, 2011 13:49

Removal suggestions

Removal suggestion 1: Angels

I never quite got the link between Angband and Angels ingame, perhaps it would be wise to drop those religious creatures out of the game, in order to creep closer to the "middle-earth feel"?

I know some of you will say: if we drop those then we need to drop these and those also. But right now, I can only think of those with a religious link within the game, everything else that is non-angband is either brought in from myths or the like.

Timo Pietilš August 13, 2011 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shockbolt (Post 58663)
Removal suggestion 1: Angels

I never quite got the link between Angband and Angels ingame, perhaps it would be wise to drop those religious creatures out of the game, in order to creep closer to the "middle-earth feel"?

I know some of you will say: if we drop those then we need to drop these and those also. But right now, I can only think of those with a religious link within the game, everything else that is non-angband is either brought in from myths or the like.

No more than angels. Angels are just part of one of main religious beliefs, just like titans were in their time. Both mythical creatures from religious fairy tales.

OTOH your point them not being Tolkenian monsters is a valid one, and many variants have replaced them with Ainur. I would have nothing against changing angels to ainur.

Shockbolt August 13, 2011 15:36

Yeah, replacing them would work better than a pure removal I guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš (Post 58664)
No more than angels. Angels are just part of one of main religious beliefs, just like titans were in their time. Both mythical creatures from religious fairy tales.

OTOH your point them not being Tolkenian monsters is a valid one, and many variants have replaced them with Ainur. I would have nothing against changing angels to ainur.

fizzix August 14, 2011 03:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shockbolt (Post 58666)
Yeah, replacing them would work better than a pure removal I guess.

I agree with that, if mainly because the angels are interesting monsters. Resist all brands/slays, high ac, deeply asleep (except for the uniques), and they also have interesting attacks including tele-to and tele-away, depending on the angel.

Gabriel and Azriel are also very interesting. Azriel, is the 2nd most likely cause of death for me, right behind drolem. Uriel is just another fire based unique, like Lernean hydra, phoenix, vargo, gothmog, and lungorthin. He's the least interesting angel by far. So I would greatly oppose removing the angels. However, I don't care at all if they're renamed.

Shockbolt August 14, 2011 18:38

Who would have the powers/authority to decide to permanently rename the various angelic creatures in Angband, into something more inline with Tolkien?

JohnCW9 August 14, 2011 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš (Post 58664)

You both are totally wrong They are just as real as you are and I have had dealings with angels.

Shockbolt August 14, 2011 19:09

Ok then, outside of this game, we agree to disagree regarding angels. Let's keep the discussion within Angband.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnCW9 (Post 58730)
You both are totally wrong They are just as real as you are and I have had dealings with angels.

Netbrian August 14, 2011 19:32

I've become fond of the angels, and vote to keep them as they are. Angband isn't as much Tolkein as a strange mash-up between D&D, Tolkein, and whatever else we felt like putting in -- I don't think they damage thematic consistency worse than anything else, and I like how they present a unique challenge.

Timo Pietilš August 14, 2011 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shockbolt (Post 58728)
Who would have the powers/authority to decide to permanently rename the various angelic creatures in Angband, into something more inline with Tolkien?

That would be Takkaria. He is the maintainer, so his word is decisive one over everybody else.

While angband is currently developed by a team, he is (or at least should be) the one with the power to make decisions.

JohnCW9 August 14, 2011 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shockbolt (Post 58732)
Ok then, outside of this game, we agree to disagree regarding angels. Let's keep the discussion within Angband.

Ok I agree wtih that.