Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Inscription for "locking" the item against accidental loss, but allowing use (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=9988)

Bogatyr April 18, 2020 10:23

Inscription for "locking" the item against accidental loss, but allowing use

Having just lost Arcane Control to a keyboard/play error, I started looking into inscriptions more...

It would be nice to have an inscription that "locks" an item into your inventory, without having to have long ugly strings of "!d!d!d!k!k!k!v!v!v etc." but that do not impede use. E.g., for spell books. I do not mind having to uninscribe a spellbook in order to drop it, since this is a very, very rare case. The lock inscription would then also automatically work for all new commands introduced that can cause the loss of an item, without having to learn all such cases first.

Bill Peterson April 20, 2020 22:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogatyr (Post 144672)
Having just lost Arcane Control to a keyboard/play error, I started looking into inscriptions more...

It would be nice to have an inscription that "locks" an item into your inventory, without having to have long ugly strings of "!d!d!d!k!k!k!v!v!v etc." but that do not impede use. E.g., for spell books. I do not mind having to uninscribe a spellbook in order to drop it, since this is a very, very rare case. The lock inscription would then also automatically work for all new commands introduced that can cause the loss of an item, without having to learn all such cases first.

!d!v!k isn't enough protection for you? Do you routinely override the warnings without thinking? You don't have to uninscribe to sell something, just answer yes when you get a prompt asking if you really want to sell.

Bogatyr April 21, 2020 04:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Peterson (Post 144765)
!d!v!k isn't enough protection for you? Do you routinely override the warnings without thinking? You don't have to uninscribe to sell something, just answer yes when you get a prompt asking if you really want to sell.

I have a bad keyboard that will often repeat letters (especially "d"!), so I need to protect key items with three-fold repetition. If there was something that encompassed all of "!d!k!v" I could use "!x!x!x" instead of "!d!d!d!k!k!k!v!v!v"

fph April 21, 2020 09:17

Sorry, but if you have a bad keyboard that will often repeat letters, this game is going to be unplayable. Once you get to certain depths, losing a turn can easily get your character killed.

emulord April 21, 2020 16:29

Ive never used it, but isnt this what windows StickyKeys is for?

Bogatyr April 21, 2020 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by fph (Post 144786)
Sorry, but if you have a bad keyboard that will often repeat letters, this game is going to be unplayable. Once you get to certain depths, losing a turn can easily get your character killed.

True enough. It's not my first rodeo, but yeah, you're right.