Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Liking half-troll warrior (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=9023)

Petoften July 29, 2018 05:42

Liking half-troll warrior
 
I usually like mage in fantasy game and warrior is a least favorite, but not here.

This game seems to go well for a half-troll warrior. Between the regen, the higher HP, and the higher damage.

The game gives xp for killing, and the HTW can largely just go kill, unlike a lot of other classes. Though I'm only speaking for up to about clvl 30.

Current game, dlvl 34, the only creature to be an issue has been the Nightmare because of the every-turn confusion.

But a great weapon has helped - better than the two thancs and Nar-i-vagil, the Spear of Orome has been great damage. 373 damage at clvl 29 to no resist.

Petoften July 29, 2018 06:49

Need a new hat. Iron helm of Gorlim aggroes everything.

Weighing +3 DEX versus +10 damage rings...

Sky July 29, 2018 11:07

You need to start playing RANDARTS

Ingwe Ingweron July 29, 2018 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petoften (Post 132322)
Need a new hat. Iron helm of Gorlim aggroes everything.

Weighing +3 DEX versus +10 damage rings...

Gorlim can be a pretty great helm. Yes it aggravates, but (a) a half-troll warrior has terrible stealth anyway, (b) at some point @ is strong enough and aggravating monsters just means they come to you, rather than having to chase them down.

Petoften July 30, 2018 07:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron (Post 132336)
Gorlim can be a pretty great helm. Yes it aggravates, but (a) a half-troll warrior has terrible stealth anyway, (b) at some point @ is strong enough and aggravating monsters just means they come to you, rather than having to chase them down.

OK. I'm using it. I just picked a 3 dex ring over 10 damage, and am now making another choice...

Armor with lots of protections including dark and 37 armor, or armor with no protections but 1 con and str and 87 armor.

Petoften July 30, 2018 20:48

No opinion which of those armor is better? I'm not sure.

Pete Mack July 30, 2018 22:12

Armor choice depends a lot on the situation and on playstyle. I cant say which would be better for you. I would probably choose the one with resists, but it isnt obvious.

Petoften July 30, 2018 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 132355)
Armor choice depends a lot on the situation and on playstyle. I cant say which would be better for you. I would probably choose the one with resists, but it isnt obvious.

I have some of the other resists, but not the 'dark' resist yet. Not sure how much to worry about that.

Monkey Face July 31, 2018 02:18

It depends on your situation as to which is better. Does +1 STR give you any extra blow per turn? Does +1 CON give significant extra HP? Those would weigh towards using the +1 armor. Do you have PBlind? If not RDark cuts down the number of monsters that can blind you. IIRC blindness hurts your chances to hit and also cuts down on your escapes (can't read ?teleportation when blind).

Petoften July 31, 2018 04:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkey Face (Post 132357)
It depends on your situation as to which is better. Does +1 STR give you any extra blow per turn? Does +1 CON give significant extra HP? Those would weigh towards using the +1 armor. Do you have PBlind? If not RDark cuts down the number of monsters that can blind you. IIRC blindness hurts your chances to hit and also cuts down on your escapes (can't read ?teleportation when blind).

Not a big deal - top damage goes 388 to 392, HP just from 305 to 312.

I couldn't read scrolls blind but could use a staff of teleport.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:38.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.